LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I found this one and will be giving it a try this week. I just wonder if Smudger can resist.
The Famous Ritz Carlton Hotel 1920's Tea Room Lemon Pound Cake.

This is the kind of recipe that keeps getting handed down. It's that GOOD and perfectly classic.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening, room temperature
5 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
6 Tbsp lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
Preheat oven to 350F
Spray or butter and flour 2 loaf pans or one large Bundt pan.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl. Set aside.
Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating until well blended after each one.
Add dry ingredients in three additions to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Mix in lemon juice and zest.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes. Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave that will make Smudger come off his diet :DHas he lost any weight ? or is it all in his mind -hope you are all keeping well-enjoy the cake and make sure you eat it in front of him but as my dad used to say -you keep the smell in your nose and I'll keep the taste out of your mouth :LOL:
terry

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
1 Tbsp baking powder

Sorry to disturb while you're all dribbling with envy BUT ....

Can you explain the "Tbsp" please?o_O

I tried : "Tea bag spoon" , but indeed doesn't make sense:p; then tried "Très bonne spoon", but I doubt the Tb was French:rolleyes:; also thought of "Too bad spoon" ... Too bad for what:whistle:?? Na.... can't be! Then made another attempt with "The best spoon" ... how do you know it's the best:cautious:?? and ended with "Twice bigger spoon":D ....which of course doesn't sound correct either so NOW .... can I have the right one Pleeeeeeeeease?:cool:

Oh and BTW , what is .... shortening???? Is it supposed to make the cake shorter?
Dear , better not eat any of these... I could shrink:(! Then JJ will need a magnifying glass to find me!:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Frankie I don't know what SHORTENING is either :) but the Tbsp is a table spoon -it's the one up from a tea spoon what you would eat a pudding/custard with
Someone will be along with exact measures soon and a explanation of Shortening and I have no doubt we will both know what it is by another name -prob cooking fat :D

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Its table spoon ..
..shortening I'm as puzzled as you .they don't use it in a good CORNISH pasty and don't do cakes :) (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Shortening.

Lard or Margarine ie any solid fat.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sorry Frankie, the recipe was sent by an American friend so its an Americanism. Like in the song "Baby loves shortening bread".

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I found this one and will be giving it a try this week. I just wonder if Smudger can resist.
The Famous Ritz Carlton Hotel 1920's Tea Room Lemon Pound Cake.

This is the kind of recipe that keeps getting handed down. It's that GOOD and perfectly classic.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening, room temperature
5 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
6 Tbsp lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
Preheat oven to 350F
Spray or butter and flour 2 loaf pans or one large Bundt pan.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl. Set aside.
Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating until well blended after each one.
Add dry ingredients in three additions to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Mix in lemon juice and zest.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool cakes in pans for 15 minutes. Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely.
or resort to Betty Crockers lemon zest cake if all fails.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Frankie I don't know what SHORTENING is either :) but the Tbsp is a table spoon -it's the one up from a tea spoon what you would eat a pudding/custard with
Someone will be along with exact measures soon and a explanation of Shortening and I have no doubt we will both know what it is by another name -prob cooking fat :D

Sorry to be picky Terry .. but between tea spoon ( tsp) and table spoon.. (tbsp) we have dessert spoon..

Teaspoon = approx. 5 ml
Dessertspoon = approx. 10 ml
Tablespoon = approx. 15 ml

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sorry to be picky Terry .. but between tea spoon ( tsp) and table spoon.. (tbsp) we have dessert spoon..

Teaspoon = approx. 5 ml
Your posh we only have 2 spoons :DI did say someone would be along to give measurements :)that must be you :LOL:;)
terry

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Teaspoon = approx. 5 ml

The best pastry cook in our Regiment had a good way of measuring.

Teaspoon = "about that much"
Dessertspoon = "two of those"
Tablespoon = "Three of them".

It worked.
Great cakes.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry to disturb while you're all dribbling with envy BUT ....

Can you explain the "Tbsp" please?o_O

I tried : "Tea bag spoon" , but indeed doesn't make sense:p; then tried "Très bonne spoon", but I doubt the Tb was French:rolleyes:; also thought of "Too bad spoon" ... Too bad for what:whistle:?? Na.... can't be! Then made another attempt with "The best spoon" ... how do you know it's the best:cautious:?? and ended with "Twice bigger spoon":D ....which of course doesn't sound correct either so NOW .... can I have the right one Pleeeeeeeeease?:cool:

Oh and BTW , what is .... shortening???? Is it supposed to make the cake shorter?
Dear , better not eat any of these... I could shrink:(! Then JJ will need a magnifying glass to find me!:LOL:

Frankie for shortening I would use saindoux :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back