How much work do you do on your van ? (1 Viewer)

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
As not using for a few weeks.
Putting in new shower tap, changing old micro switches on bathroom and bathroom taps fitted extra awning lighting.
Fitting extra 240v sockets in lounge area.
Might fit a shower tap in garage.
Fitting brackets in garage so everything has a fixing point.
Will get everything how we want it, but going to NEC show so all this work could be for nothing if we upgrade!
Jim

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Same as you and do it all myself :)

Saves money, gives me a project and helps me learn the dynamics of the vehicle (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I do as much as I can to our van unless it's seriously more than my tiny brain can work out.
Usually cheaper & I'm keener to do it properly rather than quickly.
Having said that, I never compromise when it comes to safety( as far as I'm aware anyway).
I've learned quite a bit about the old bus just by crawling underneath & generally exploring it's nooks & crannies(y)

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
The good think about working on motorhomes is most people have had a go and put up posts and links of how to do things.
like this link to change your micro switch
When I pack up working on Lifts may do motorhome repairs much easier!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
The good think about working on motorhomes is most people have had a go and put up posts and links of how to do things.
like this link to change your micro switch
When I pack up working on Lifts may do motorhome repairs much easier!
Now I know there are some large RV's out there, but do they really have lifts in them :Eeek::rofl:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am a constant tinkerer. Of I did not have a motorhome to play with it would be back to boats, and they cost a fortune.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oddly, did most of your list this past week..
Had to change the shower mixer tap ( its a thermostatic jobby and at some time in its past, someone had not drained down properly and it had frozen and wrecked its self )
Fitted another solar panel, extra large batteries, modified the internal loom ( again .. it is slowly getting where I like it.. Autotrail has gone up in my estimation re build quality but the way it is wired ? naahhhh ! )
Refitted a bit of external trim where the cab joins the hab area
Sorted out one of the rear lights which had been bodged in place at some time
Fitted an extra 12v socket in the hab area for another usb charging point
Fitted another 12v point in the shower cabinet so I have somewhere I can plug the whale pump in when I use the rolly polly to fill up with water away from a tap
Fitted an extra entry handle so there is somewhere on both sides of the door to hold on to when getting in and out
Partially fixed a wee problem of the entry step inside the van that seems to have sagged over the years.. Got to revisit that though .. still not happy
Fitted a rear view twin camera set up as the one that was on the van ( original fitting ) was pee poor

Just got a pair of wall type awning leg supports through the post from Rose Awnings which I will proly fit tomorrow at the show ground :)
And will be starting to suss out a decent mount point for a chicken box and antenna when we get back from the show.. It is quite a problem as there is little space on/under the dash for the radio AND mounting the antenna is fun on a motorhome too ! Proly use a lip mount on the back of the bonnet and add a bonding strap from bonnet to body to ensure a decent ground plane (y)

There..
Bet you wished you hadn't asked now don't you !!! LOL !!!:rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
One job i have no experience in is plastic welding have a crack in one rear skirt have looked on up machine about £80 comes with various filler patch from what I can ascertain is i will work or you will need to replace panel if it does not work or you get settings wrong.
Jim

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You do not need the gun Jim..
Just get a couple of ABS filler rods mate.. For small stuff I use small 25w soldering iron, for slightly larger stuff a 100w Weller soldering gun, and for BIG stuff a chefs torch.. The weller would be just fine for the bumper

If you would like a description of how to do it ring me some time ( 01842 754415 or 0781 8822887 )
I am usually working and available from 9am to 10pm daily ( will be on the mobile number this weekend as we will be at Lincoln )

If you would like a visual check, pop up to Thetford some time for a demonstration... It is REALLY easy to do ...

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I am envious of all the skills you all seem to share but which seem to have passed me by.............comprehensively. As I said in all honesty on another thread. Mrs BB only allows me into B&Q when accompanied by an adult and I am never ever allowed near anything electrical, gaseous or to do with water, tiling, cement or paint.:cry: Especially gloss paint.:cry: Don't ask about the gloss paint.:eek:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I envy the skills out there. Touch wood I don't have any little jobs outstanding on my van as it is just coming up to 12 months old but my sister (also a Funsters) is accumulating quite a list: latest problem is the rear door on her Pioneer got caught in the wind and blew right back causing the support rod on the top to bow. With a bit of man handling we did manage to close the door but now have to be very careful! List of outstanding little jobs also include fridge door catch, hab light bulbs x 2 ( can't find out how to remove the covers!) magnetic catch on windscreen blinds, and the ratchet on the Hiki . Can anyone recommend a knowledgeable repairer in north Lancs/South Cumbria that doesn't charge a fortune?

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Very proud of my Steve he can fix anything and when we're on a site has enough gear with him to fix everyone else's MH and often does. (y)

Herman ze German

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
Merc Sprinter self build
Exp
since 2006
Started working on some changes last week . Lowering the height of the single bed over the rear storage area by 3 inches , yes thats alot ......ask any bloke ;)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Souix, good to hear, proves what a helpful bunch Funsters really are.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I should mention my skill set ends very abruptly at 'things wood' !!!!

Plumbing, electrical, electronics, metal, plastics, not a problem..

Wood ? I can proly get by and have all the theory, but for some reason seem incapable of making something that looks nice ( I have put some of my work forward for consideration by the Turner Prize committee LOL !!!! )

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well i converted my trailer 14yrs ago . other than the upholstery of the seats . regal furnishings did that.
i also converted my truck from a tipper . shortened the chassis and fitted the air compressor and air brake system for the trailer . the truck is on hydraulic brakes .i repainted both . do all the repairs as and when . luckily i have some good mates that assist with heavier jobs etc . its nice to know how it all works .

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Ours is an ongoing restoration, and we keep a list of jobs to do. But every time we go off the list grows, despite having done a good few of them, but as said, its part of owning one, especially an old one. Some of the parts for American motorhomes are very expensive. but you have to have them, but save on the labour. Set of brake pads is £200. An original door lock is nearly £300, but there are ways round it.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Last week I fitted the bike rack - blooming picture instructions made me curse a bit.

This week I've managed to install my reversing camera. Cutting the reversing light wire to splice into was a worrying moment. And then when it was all done I had another worrying moment when the bulb out light came on the dash, but on next turn of the ignition it went out again and has stayed out. Phew! While routing the cable I also tidied up the cabling for my dash cam so that's another job finished too.

I've also fitted my gasit system this week. Still need to go and fill it though. I'm waiting for my neighbour to come back and go with me to fill as he knows what he's doing, whereas I've never used an LPG pump before.

Still need to finish off my cup holder which has been a work in progress for weeks - typical that the small jobs seem to take longer to complete than the big jobs.

I think that will be pretty much everything for a little while, as we will now start using the van more as my other half's work is seasonal.

My other half queried why I didn't just pay someone to fit the camera and gasit - my answer was that I can put the money that I've saved towards other things - like a solar panel, which I will be fitting myself too!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
getting my son to fit a bifold door on the bathroom.so now it opens inwards. and reinforce the step into the van.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
One job i have no experience in is plastic welding have a crack in one rear skirt have looked on up machine about £80

Save your money and buy a soldering iron if you don't already have one buy the plastic rods or cut old bits of plastic into strips (Chinese cartons ideal) will do the same job for what you want :)

aandj

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic Campervan
Exp
We Completely converted an older camper van into what we have now, always improving it? easy to do as we know exactly whats inside it and how its wired etc. Hadn`t a clue when we started but between, Google, Youtube and Ebay we soon had it sorted and learnt everything.
And it`s to suit our requirements and needs.
Plus lots of fun and very rewarding.
Oh, The Before is in pink??? and the After in Grey and Blue? before you ask? :)
20130716_123746.jpg _MG_9422.jpg _MG_9634.jpg 20130715_194514.jpg _MG_9603.jpg _MG_9605.jpg

Last edited:

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
In June/July fitted new front discs, pads and bearings, suspension ball joint,handbrake cable, brake pipes, repaired horn, welding done only thing I didn't do was change the handbrake shoes as I don't have the tools to remove the 65mm !! nut retaining the hub. Ivy then passed the MOT.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
On this MH:
Cut and hinged table
Made a fold out leg to support it
Fitted rear view camera
Fitted 3 PV panels
Changed cab radio to work off leisure battery
Made the map holder open the opposite way and fitted cigar lighter and USB sockets in the space underneath it
Fitted DAB cab radio
Fitted DRLs in the fog light holes
All LED interior lights
.......... and probably more I've forgotten.

Still on the list:
Big fat wagon horn (I'll keep the normal one as well)
Front camera
Better cruise control controls
Remove, re - shape, refit radiator support
Mudflaps
Make a robust 12N socket plate

Keeps me off the streets. :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As a duck, I have what have been described as sexy hands...........everything I touch I f*** up. Stuff on the van is much better done by others as a) it will look better and b) it will work

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back