Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
On the Rapido stand yesterday at Peterborough Paul from Wokingham Motorhomes dropped a bit of a bombshell. There will be no more Merc Rapidos as Mercedes are stopping making the camper chassis. Having had a Fiat automatic and absolutely loathed it, that's a never again decision. So I am absolutely gutted by that news. He hasn't even got any in the pipeline left to sell.

Whilst I am more than happy with my Merc Rapido, it's nice to think about getting an upgrade in the future. Now it's not an option. Paul said most of his sales were Mercs and like myself, his customers are angry and bitterly disappointed.

Edit to add.... Now I don't know what to think. Just heard that Hymer have a new Merc range with auto for 2015. Huh?

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think something was lost in translation from Rapido. I can't believe Mercedes are going to stop building bare chassis vehicles. What would Tesco use?

Broken Link Removed

So there will always be a Merc chassis but perhaps the one Al-Ko graft onto them is the one being discontinued?

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/pages/introduction-4.html

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
It does seem very odd as this chassis would be used in a lot of commercial applications, if true that would just leave Iveco as the only RWD:Sad:

Should say I am a happy Iveco driver

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
We have an 891M. Evidently it's built on a chassis-cowl not a chassis-cab. Could that be it? I'm not a techie on any of this. I'm really confused on this as I'm sure Paul wouldn't have misled me. He was adamant on it and certainly wouldn't want to lose potential customers. Hohum....

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Difference between Chassis-Cab and Chassis-Cowl shown in the pictures.

Attachments

• Chassis Cowl.jpg
    Chassis Cowl.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Chassis Cab.jpg
    Chassis Cab.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hi Mary

Still enjoying the Rapido I see, we met when you collected it from Wokingham!

Peter

Hi Peter :)
Yes, of course I remember you. And yes I love my Rapido and cannot fault all at WH. Shall be down there soon for the hab check. Nevertheless shall be looking at the new Hymers tomorrow just for interest. Something to aspire to in a year or two's time maybe.

Mary xx

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
I was at Wokingham Motorhomes yesterday and asked again about the lack of Rapido Mercs. The guy there confirmed what Paul had said and did explain to me, but it's a bit too technical for me. Nevertheless, here goes... there are new EU rules that have to be followed and the Rapido/Merc combination don't meet the required parameters. Evidently other MH manufacturers are facing similar issues. Rapido are working on it, but it is likely to be a year or two, getting things sorted. So, no new ones available, unless you go for a Fiat... spit..spit. Oh another little worry, it also seems that Mercedes have not been honouring their warranty as some dealers have refused to service Merc motorhomes.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We might see some more Transit A classes then!

Up until now it has just been the Hymer Exsis.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
So what's wrong with Fiat chassis?? Most of the ones I have come across, (barring the Al-Ko version), seem fine.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Maybe its a snobbery thing?
The other day, a *FUNSTER* posted pics of a Fiat chassis, which is still being used nearly 30 years after it had been manufactured. (BAZ). That's not bad for any chassis, be it rusty or not.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would say one of the worst chassis is the merc sprinters . seen loads broken by corrosion . cant understand how merc dont seem to protect them very well.
mind have seen many transits the same way as well.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So what's wrong with Fiat chassis?? Most of the ones I have come across, (barring the Al-Ko version), seem fine.
My last van was a Fiat/Al-Ko conversion and was simply brilliant - 3 litre engine and very stable.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What is wrong with Fiat/Al-ko?
I do know that they can be very easily damaged by attempting to jack up the vehicle using the Al-Ko bit.Saw one a few weeks ago, very twisted.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Lots of, ahem, "seasoned" motorhomers seem to put down Fiat/Cit/Pug but I've never had any real trouble with any of them (the motorhome build, on the other hand, is a different matter).

Any of mine have yet to leave me stranded, broken down, stuck on grass or snow (choice of tyres and loading important) or given me a problem getting parts or servicing. There are just so many about they would be littering the road sides if there was anything fundamentally wrong with them. Instead they are whizzing up and down to Spain (etc) each year not giving it a second thought.

Shame Merc is pulling out at this stage, but with the increase number of moho's on the roads these days they are probably just taking time out to build a chassis which will meet modern required spec. Same with all the other brands, chasing to keep up with new regulations all the time.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Fiat use full production customers as beta-testers. It is part of their business model, an integral part of which is they avoid the cost of recalls (unless mandated by safety authorities) denying all knowledge of a general problem by dividing and ruling their customer base.

With a 2005 Ducato at the end of its production I escaped pretty well, though still got collared by factory paint defects on non-white vans that hit Sevel vans for several years.

At least I did avoid the worst problems of the 2006 series Fiat chassis, such as clutch burning out, juddering, leaking, rusty injectors, etc.

Dave

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Fiat drive wheels are in the wrong place!
If it ain't got dual rear wheel drive, we ain't buying!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
renault still do a rwd chassis cab . used to be the mascot but now its a master but rwd .
think they are ok . certainly the mascot was great.

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Regarding my spit... spit.. comment about Fiat. As our first MH we bought an Autotrail EKS with the Comformatic (automatic) gearbox. It was awful. It wouldn't hold its own weight on a hill and with the handbrake so far down on the RHS, it was very difficult to manage. Further, I never felt safe in it. For example, on motorways, it would track in the grooves made by the heavy lorries, pulling me away from my chosen direction, not much but disconcerting nevertheless. It also didn't brake well. I'm used to a vehicle doing what I, as the driver intend it to do, fast and efficiently. My Fiat did not. It also rattled and squeaked enough to drive me mad after an hour in it.

The day before we traded it in, the red engine light came on and we lost all acceleration. We took it to Elite, who reset it, but it went again on the way home. I therefore had to ring Wokingham and tell them we had a duff MH on our hands. They were very gracious about it and honoured the deal. We managed to get there, with a top speed of 45mph.

So, whilst your experiences may have been ok with your Fiats, mine was not. My Merc is in an entirely different league drive wise. It feels planted on the road, goes where I steer it, accelerates like a dream and it quiet. It's all down to driver experience, isn't it. YMMV.

Mary

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back