FIRE EXSTINGUISHER have you checked yours! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
WARNING CHECK

Giving the MH a bit of an interior clean after a recent trip. I was giving the Fire Exstinguisher a bit of a wipe down I thought to myself "thank goodness I have never had to use it", better give it a try and it and it did not work!!!!

This is just a suggestion to you all please check your exstinguisher before it is to late!"

I have replaced mine.

colyboy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
give me a fire blanket every time, never seen one fail to operate

I sold fire fighting equipment in my early working days

(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
In our camper we carry a 2KG dry powder on driver's door step, a 2 litre AFFF foam by the sliding door and a fire blanket reachable from the kitchen area. have done fire extinguisher training, which in my opinion is vital if carrying an extinguisher of any type. All of our extinguisher units are checked annually by the same company that do our workshop extinguishers so I kow they are in working order and if push comes to shove I know how to use all of them as does Jackie.

D.

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
I tried to get the extinguisher in one of my rally cars serviced earlier this year. Several companies refused as it was more than 3 years old and those that would service it wanted more than the cost of a new one!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I would assume there are other retired Firefighters who would view the previous posts with a little caution. Firstly Fire blankets are good to extinguish a Pan fire but would do nothing in an engine compartment or electrical fire, so yes, one for the kitchen area. When using extinguishers in general and the first attack had been made, and when other extinguishers are at hand then try to use the same type of Medium, as most extinguishers will reduce the effectness of the first application. I would advise, space permitting to carry the largest extinguisher you can manage and try to obtain some training on the appliance you have, know how it works, know both yours and its limitations. Call the professionals then have a go yourself, don't do the opposite, time is very important, but not so to put your life at risk.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would assume there are other retired Firefighters who would view the previous posts with a little caution. Firstly Fire blankets are good to extinguish a Pan fire but would do nothing in an engine compartment or electrical fire, so yes, one for the kitchen area. When using extinguishers in general and the first attack had been made, and when other extinguishers are at hand then try to use the same type of Medium, as most extinguishers will reduce the effectness of the first application. I would advise, space permitting to carry the largest extinguisher you can manage and try to obtain some training on the appliance you have, know how it works, know both yours and its limitations. Call the professionals then have a go yourself, don't do the opposite, time is very important, but not so to put your life at risk.

You have my total agreement, emphatically when talking about training

The thought of a fire extinguisher in a confined space used by an untrained handler is not good, quite probably spreading rather than controlling the fire

I should have put more words to my post regarding blankets, but they are quite possibly by a long way the best first defence in a MH fire

As soon as you talk engines it a different game altogether, but the thought of bonnets being thrown open to use an extinguisher fills me with dread

TRAINING in correct use or leave well alone for me (y)

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Yes, no problem.
I have checked mine. I activated it, it sprayed perfectly for a minute or so.
I've polished it up and put it back ready for when it's really needed!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The previous two posts throw up some valuable advice. Firstly attack a fire in the engine compartment through the front grill, when you are happy you have control you could slowly open the bonnet, but it would be better to wait the arrival of the Fire Service, let them open up, if the fire has been severe you would not be able to open the release catch, it would be far too hot. I totally agree with Tootles, my favorite also, but perhaps no longer available. afff is now my prefered Medium, less mess and very effective in the right situation. I carry 1 afff and the van I have came with a small Dry Powder, not my favorite but pointless to remove. Good initial post, sound advice all motorhomers should be aware of.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Now have 3 new ones fitted, one at the front, one by the hab door and one down by the bed, plus the fire blanket by the kitchen area :)

Don't expect to "fight a fire" but they may buy us time to push Di out of a window with her MS if needed :)

She still doesn't go for the excuse to carry out a full fire drill rehearsal :clap2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back