Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
The clutch on my 2008 3 litre m / h works fine but in reverse it is never happy. I was just wondering if anyone makes an uprated clutch for the Peugeot / Fiat base?

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
The problem on the Fiat is that reverse gear is ridiculously too high a ratio. I reckon reverse is probably similar to 2nd gear hence reversing up hill will always be a problem. I don't think a heavy duty clutch will make any difference. Sorry.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is a kit about to convert the dual mass flywheel to a heavy duty clutch. however it allows more vibration and strain on the gearbox

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
No need to apologise, not your fault. We had to reverse up the ramp onto the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam because of the way they loaded the boat and there was quite a bit of juddering. It is stupid that the gearing is so high, maybe van drivers like to go go fast in reverse. No problem here in Holland where we are on holiday because it is all flat and we have hired a small car to get around.

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I did not realise the Peugeot/Fiat had a dual mass flywheel. I hate them. My Peugeot 407 Diesel had one and I had to have two fitted at very low mileages. One they paid for under warranty, but I had to fight to get them to pay anything towards the second one. All happened below 30000 miles. I have had Peugeots in the past that had clutches that lasted 100000 miles even towing a caravan. Progress is over rated!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Sounds like your van has never had the fix. Being a 3 litre it is obviously a Fiat and 2008 vans were candidates for the judder although most vans fixed were the 2.3 versions.
As you may be aware the fix included a lower reverse gear, new clutch and engine mountings.
Might be worth asking if it can still be done.

Mike

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It's because it's Italian, always did go faster backwards, just like their tanks, 1 forward, 5 reverse. Same with their guns, fired once, dropped once :rofl:

My Ducatos the same, I only noticed when I tried to reverse up my levelling ramps once, instead or driving forwards up them. Never again if I can help it :)

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks Mike I will ask at my local Peugeot garage, I bet they want money for the update though!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks Mike I will ask at my local Peugeot garage, I bet they want money for the update though!
If it's the Fiat 3 litre then it needs to be a Fiat garage. When the fix was done the cost was around £1250 according to the garage who did our 2008 Burstner .

Mike

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Fiat Ducattos also have a PLASTIC Clutch Pedal! (mk2s anyway) Mine gave way in the middle of Dartmoor!

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Sounds like your van has neverin the gehad the fix. Being a 3 litre it is obviously a Fiat and 2008 vans were candidates for the judder although most vans fixed were the 2.3 versions.
As you may be aware the fix included a lower reverse gear, new clutch and engine mountings.
Might be worth asking if it can still be done.

Mike
Mike, a lower gear was never an option as the (cog) gear was too big to fit in the gear box, the other mods your spot on mate,

Eric

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Mike, a lower gear was never an option as the (cog) gear was too big to fit in the gear box, the other mods your spot on mate,

Eric
According to all the information at the time the fix included a new lower reversing gear.

Mike

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Clutch !.....remind me what that is !
the part on the end of the engines final drive that you can often smell burning in supermarket carparks. old farts revving their vehicle engines high and then cant find the biting point:rofl:

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Mikeco said:
According to all the information at the time the fix included a new lower reversing gear.

Mike
I have the 2.3 Mike It went into fiat professional twice, 1st time it had new engine mountings, 2nd time it had new clutch, supposedly heavy duty but no lower gear, I was told that was,nt an option, and my motorhome is still rubbish when reversing.

Eric

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I have the 2.3 Mike It went into fiat professional twice, 1st time it had new engine mountings, 2nd time it had new clutch, supposedly heavy duty but no lower gear, I was told that was,nt an option, and my motorhome is still rubbish when reversing.

Eric
Our 2008 Burstner was done a few months after we bought it and I'm fairly certain that the original fix included a lower reverse gear.
There was certainly a difference after it was done and reversing was a lot better and it also sounded different.

Mike

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our 2008 Burstner was done a few months after we bought it and I'm fairly certain that the original fix included a lower reverse gear.
There was certainly a difference after it was done and reversing was a lot better and it also sounded different.

Mike
Hope you are right mike, Ive learned to live with mine, its not a problem as we dont do that much reversing, lol

Eric

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back