LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
2 weeks in my view is no where near enough time, especially now all the ferries to Scandinavia from the UK have stopped. It would take around a week to get to southern Norway and Norway is a very long country with little or no motorways.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last edited:
OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Dfds go from immingham to brevik rtn £1550 with cabin and all meals for 2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Is possible to tour round Norway in two weeks. Not all Norway but like to do the Atlantic road in august

Fs2, what snowbird said (y)plus short ferry journeys which really slows the journey. If you've only got two weeks I'd stay in the south. This is a link to a couple who are there now, it's a very 'professional' site that's also a freebie: http://www.langdale-associates.com/
Some excellent tips and guidelines but beware, despite the prices you'll want to go back time after time once you've been! (y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have just looked at the price for passengers on the DFDS freight service Immingham to Gothenburg - which is practically door to door for us when visiting family. It wasn't very clear, but I think it's the same price for all UK-Scandinavia routes, but it wasn't linked from the Brevik page.

2 people with a 6m+ m/h is £720 one way. We are about 18" over the 6m. :( Adds an extra £170 to each leg.

I don't imagine they are very well equipped to carry passengers with mobility problems either. Not many lorry drivers use wheelchairs.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Fs2, what snowbird said (y)plus short ferry journeys which really slows the journey. If you've only got two weeks I'd stay in the south. This is a link to a couple who are there now, it's a very 'professional' site that's also a freebie: http://www.langdale-associates.com/
Some excellent tips and guidelines but beware, despite the prices you'll want to go back time after time once you've been! (y)
I have been in the truck but not in motorhome. I want to see the fjords not just pass them like in the wagon. 26 hrs to brevik it's better than driving I think

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I have been in the truck but not in motorhome. I want to see the fjords not just pass them like in the wagon. 26 hrs to brevik it's better than driving I think

Since they stopped the Newcastle to Bergen run, we had a Romahome at that time so no probs with size, we've always driven up through Denmark and across to Gothenburg as we avoid Oslo if we can. However you get there it's worth it! My introduction to Norway in the eighties came courtesy of the Queen, free and four times with LOA at £12 a day!(y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It's the old question - where does the holiday start. If you have the time & can start the holiday as you roll off the drive, then driving is the better option. It will be cheaper, but not by all that much, when you add up fuel, bridge & ferry costs. If it means more time off work, it probably reaches break even point.

If time is limited & the holiday doesn't really start until you arrive in Norway (Sweden in our case), the ferry starts to look attractive. I think I'd still want more than 2 weeks though, to feel I'd got value for money from the cost of getting there. But if you only have 2 weeks, you only have 2 weeks & then it's a case of just accepting that the daily cost is going to be high - and that you won't see everything that you wanted to.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have emailed for confirmation and prices .. will post when they reply

Well, didn't take too long but I had a reply and a price list ..

see attached .. it says Swedish but its the same cost to Norway.. (I asked.)

Single trip..

PASSENGER:
Adult GBP 170
Children 5-15 years old (under 5’s are NOT accepted) GBP 85
Administration fee GBP 31
PAX VEHICHLES:
Motorcycle (lashed by owner) up 6m length + 1,85 m height GBP 60
Car up 6m length + 1,85 m height GBP 150
Vehicle over 1,85 high, up to 6 m long GBP 200
Vehicle over 1,85 high, up to 9 m long GBP 370
Vehicle over 1,85 high, up to 12 m long GBP 500
Vehicle over 1,85 high, up to 18 m long GBP 720
Vehicle over 1,85 high, over 18 m long GBP 45/m

So, for 2 x passengers and 1 x 6mt van = £540 single.. + £31 admin = £571

Attachments

• SWEDISH PRICES.pdf
    134.9 KB · Views: 10

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Same problem for us getting to the Faroes now, long way round with a vehicle. Been mentioned elsewhere that the Harwich to Esbjerg passenger route finishes this month, to do with international emission requirements which renders the route unviable, or so they tell us, always full when we travelled that way and they charged enough! :swear2:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Been looking at this again this evening and considering a channel crossing and 600 odd miles with the associated fuel costs, to reach Travemunde or Rostock for another crossing to Trelleburg or Malmo the sums look good in favour of DFDS direct, no wear and tear on you and the van and you arrive having slept on the way. Doesn't improve much using the 2 Danish bridges either although you could use that as an alternative on the return. Thinking of this for next year.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi Bailey
New ferry company operating Harwich to Esberg £100 for the van - passengers £60 each in basic cabin -
Then drive up to Fredrikshavn and ferry over to Goteborg - Stena Line I think - from about £74 van and 2 people
This option could reduce time and miles travelling to Norway maybe?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Hi Bailey
New ferry company operating Harwich to Esberg £100 for the van - passengers £60 each in basic cabin -
Then drive up to Fredrikshavn and ferry over to Goteborg - Stena Line I think - from about £74 van and 2 people

Interesting, that would be a lot cheaper than the DFDS route was, dog needs to go out so I'll look later unless you have a link? (y)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Also thinking on doing it and like the idea of taking the ferry on the outward leg and drive home the long way round..

Even better. I've never managed to view the outward journey as part of the holiday if I've got a particular destination but coming back through Denmark, where we have relations, to the channel ports would be preferable for me.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Bailey
Who is the ferry company please?
Thanks
Robert

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We visited Norway in the summer, our route out was Newcastle to Amsterdam then drove to Travemunde in one go not that far really. We stayed the night at a camper stop in the town next to the harbour, then travelled to Trelleborg before driving to Malmo for the night. We then got the train to Copenhagen for the day far cheaper than paying for the MH to cross the bridge. After driving up the west coast of Sweden we visited Flam in Norway before heading back to Oslo for a few days.
We then caught the ferry from Norway to Denmark where we spent a few days before getting the Harwich ferry home. In total we spent about £700 in ferries but in my opinion well worth it as we only had 3 weeks so it saved a lot of driving and didn't need to use the bridges which would have cost us €100 per crossing, if only doing Norway then a different route might be better but as we wanted to visit the 3 countries we thought this to be best.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back