Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
hi we are off to spain in feb 2009 from LE Havre any one no of any good stop off sites . no aires please got robbed on one last year.[never again] many thanks:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
hi we are off to spain in feb 2009 from LE Havre any one no of any good stop off sites . no aires please got robbed on one last year.[never again] many thanks:Smile:

Hi

Sorry can't help with sites, most will be closed in Feb, but I'm very interested to know which aire you were robbed at.
We have used aires almost exclusively for many years and know several excellent ones on that route.

Jim

OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
we like fools stoped on a motor way aire near Narbonne. been doing them for years in france but normaly park with the lorries, then came across a nice looking one with two other vans and a caravan parked for the night also a resturant open all night. only to wake at 3am to find a man in the van. we lost all our money passports etc. the police dont work at night in Narbonne so had to wait till 8am only for them to say oh it happens every night there.:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User

Hi check this site out may be on your route down www.lefournet.com owned by a very helpfull English couple ,and open all year,very clean and safe site.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi check this site out may be on your route down www.lefournet.com owned by a very helpfull English couple ,and open all year,very clean and safe site.:thumb:

Thanks for the link..

It's refreshing to see a site with realistic prices, duly noted :thumb:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Does le Fournet really have only 6 pitches in 10 Acres? Or am I reading it wrong?

Phil.

S

stagman

Deleted User
:thumb::thumb:
Does le Fournet really have only 6 pitches in 10 Acres? Or am I reading it wrong?

Phil.

I think what it prob means is that it has 6 hook up points.It is a new site run by a very nice helpfull couple .It is not very busy except for peak season,and set out in the countryside so is usually pretty quiet,so ideal if you like the countryside or just need a relxing break.We were there in Sept and there were only 3 outfits on site.We used it as a 2 night break on our way down to the Dordougne.By the time we were leaving it felt as if we had known the owners for years.Give them a bell I am sure they will help you.:thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
of to Spain

Theresa,

You could also look at this site, and if its not to far of your intended route.....

vanessas-stopover

sorry about your bad experience

Nomadic

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
It would be a shame to let the incident on a Motorway Aires stop you using all Aires. I spent 3 weeks touring around France using nothing but village and town Aires. I have to admit that I would never stop on Motorways services, as all the advice will tell you that. I even spent one night on the bank of the Canal just outside Dunkerque.
I am really sorry to hear of your experience.
Good luck for your next Tour.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: We have been travelling throughout Spain, France, Germany, Belgium, and Holland since 1995. Wild camped for 7 of those years. Only once have we felt unsafe. We moved on to somewhere else. We have had bikes stolen off the back TWICE. Once in the UK and the other time when we overstayed in an out of the way place to visit friends in Spain. :Blush:

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron & Marj

Hi , We use Le Havre often and is an interesting port and area. Just returned thru that port only 1 week ago, very friendly shipping Co -- LD Lines.
If you are thinking of going to Spain at that time of the year you will find very few campsites overnight , only Aires but if you use these do not park near lorries and in enclosed areas, also ensure you put your big dog bowl outside the door.We have at that time of the year experienced temperatures in the order of minus 9 not very nice O/N we had to keep driving until 4am to save freezing up. Best way is to use the Portsmouth- Bilbao route it is just as cheap , This year we paid for our 7M M/H just £284 single thru Caravan Club, we returned via LD Lines., on checking of channel crossing and the expensive fuel cost to Spain the Bilboa route was £10 cheaper overall. plus of course it was 2 nights luxury and warm on reaching Spain.
Good luck Ron W _
We find now that for Sp_

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Aires.

Am interested to find out how you were robber. I have used Aires but not on motorways and feel safe enough.

2escapees

Deleted User
Hi

If you traveling south off the motorways try Le Courte Vallee a British owned site at Airvault the birth place of Voltaire just south of Saumur.

OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
Am interested to find out how you were robber. I have used Aires but not on motorways and feel safe enough.

it was a motorway aire near narbonne , and yes i no we are told not to use them. we have been doing them for at least 15 years and never been done before. this one looked ok 2 vans and a caravan parked for the night and a resturant open all night , 3 in the morning woke to find a man in the van who took all our money passports ect. because we been doing it so long we became complacent and did not hide our goodies away, but it will not happen again because i have said its camp sites only from now on

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
La Rouletta on the N10 near St Jean de Luz

Camping Futuriste near Poitiers and Futurescope HERE for the web site

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron & Marj

Hi Theresa,
Yes being robbed O/N is very disturbing and does little for confidence. For my part all the doors are chain across, the push down door locks are drilled and pinned to stop them lifting when the screw driver is forced into the outside door lock, outside screens are always fitted O/N to put off the 'quarter light removers', large S/S dog bowl with water is left outside the door. On the outside of the van over each door and over the rear window are fitted 12volt flashing LED's obtained from Maplin at less than £3 each and attached to the alarm, these are left flashing all night.. Sounds a lot of work, just a mornings work, well worth it.
For passports, money,spare keys for the van , insurances and other docs we have fitted a fire proof safe bolted through the floor, cost B&Q less than, £20 again only a few hours work.
This year we have met 3 people who have had there bags snatched from between the two of them sitting in the front seats, the bags contained all their money and docs. The Spanish police did find the passports on the side of the road but they had to drive 250KM to retrieve. another couple going in to a campsite reception also had their bags and docs snatched as they opened the van door.
To make life in your motorhome safer listen to others who experienced problems and take action against, well worth it.
Good luck on your Spanish trip. Cheers Ron W

OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
thanks . we have locks fitted to the cab doors now , they were on our other van but did not fit them till it was to late to this van. we had become conplacent as i said before we been going to france for the last 15 years and spain for 4years. and you just get to thinking it will never hapen to us,BUT it has .it makes you start to think again and to take more care :RollEyes:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Calais-La Roulette

Hi

The folowing may be of interest:-

We go from Calais (31ft R-V Towing) down via Rouen (avoids La peripheriqe/Paris) and then Via Le Mans and Bordeux to La Roulette.

The site Mentioned (La Futurescope) is open ALL Year and Is in the "camping cheques" book (fixed prices) 2008 (14E) La Roulette Is a good stopover before the Border Slightly more expensive but good facilities. We have been about 6 times now

Once in Spain It depends on your final destination, which route you take. We Used Arranjuaz ( camping cheque book) Last April Coming back from La Manga.

If you are late off the Boat (Calais) there is an "Aire" which is actually situated just outside a campsite at Marquaise (just off the A16, about 40min to 1 hour from Calais) we stayed 4 days whilst waiting for parts to be shipped from UK, and had no problems, overnight is free but if you stay on they ask a fee. We have also used the car park of a local cemetary once (very quiet!!)

Pete

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
If you are late off the Boat (Calais) there is an "Aire" which is actually situated just outside a campsite at Marquaise (just off the A16, about 40min to 1 hour from Calais) we stayed 4 days whilst waiting for parts to be shipped from UK, and had no problems, overnight is free but if you stay on they ask a fee. We have also used the car park of a local cemetary once (very quiet!!)

Pete

Hi Peter

Can you more specific as to the location for this aire. I have never come across this one before, and it dosn't appear on my aires map.

Floozie2

Free Member
Feb 29, 2008
Videix, France
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
9 years
Parc Verger, just east of Limoges is a good stop off point. Very friendly, British owners Bob and Di will make you feel very welcome.Welcome to Parcverger Limousin will give you more info. Enjoy the trip!
Richard

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Thanks, Floozie, but can I mention that we are just west of Limoges - I'd hate anyone coming to Parc Verger to turn in the wrong direction!:Doh: Full directions are on our website.::bigsmile:

Bob

vava1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

everbody please remember - there's a big difference between motorway aires, not the safest, and proper town aires for motorhomes! AireCampingCar.com : Toutes les aires de services pour Camping-Cars, dans toutes les régions de France which are really nice to sleep at!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi Peter

Can you more specific as to the location for this aire. I have never come across this one before, and it dosn't appear on my aires map.

The "aire" is actually an extension of the car park outside the site proper Its location
Is Off A16 Exit 7 onto the (old) N1 (D191) Its on your left. on the aproach to the village.

There is a "bourne" and parking for about 3 "camping cars"

I just tried googling it but the sat-map definition is not good.

pete

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
many thanks for that but we need to go down perpignan way . :roflmto:

Hi Theresa!

You might go through Toulouse to go to Perpignan, so you'll be most welcome at home! Peaceful night,all free, a big gate locked at night time, electricity and water as much as you want/need, and .... a big SMILE!:roflmto::winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back