Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Our step retracts when starting the engine, or should do, but recently it hasn't been doing it. We can do it manually without any problem, but it refuses to go in when the engine starts as it has always done up to now.

Any ideas? What makes it retract automatically?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I assume its a Omnistep. What van do you have?

It has come up before and a search of the forum on "Omnistep" brings up quite threads.

Link Removed

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
its just a trigger from the ignition that is fed as already mentioned to a relay. This may be fused to the step. It will have an independent power feed, and as you said this is all working ok.. its just not getting the signal from the front.. or sticky relay (as already suggested)....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Or it might be the limit switch on the step!
They aren't best sealed and when fitted to a left facing door, the switch opening is facing forward to nicely catch road salt and any other contaminants!
A spray of WD40 into the slot and a good working might sort it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Circuit diagram..yours may not be exactly the same but gives some ideas what to check

step_schematic.jpg

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Or it might be the limit switch on the step!
They aren't best sealed and when fitted to a left facing door, the switch opening is facing forward to nicely catch road salt and any other contaminants!
A spray of WD40 into the slot and a good working might sort it.

Thanks for all the ideas.
No Jon it all works OK, it's only the trigger from the engine that is faulty. The motor, step switch & limit switch are all working fine.

It appears Jim that there is a relay somewhere that does the triggering, I just have to find it but from the 2 diagrams I have seen it appears to be a relay that may be used by another system as well.
I now have 2 diagrams showing a relay from the fridge or the horn activating the step closure on start up, seems like some detective work for me tomorrow.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all the ideas.
No Jon it all works OK, it's only the trigger from the engine that is faulty. The motor, step switch & limit switch are all working fine.

It appears Jim that there is a relay somewhere that does the triggering, I just have to find it but from the 2 diagrams I have seen it appears to be a relay that may be used by another system as well.
I now have 2 diagrams showing a relay from the fridge or the horn activating the step closure on start up, seems like some detective work for me tomorrow.
I think these are merely descriptive terms......same item used on fridge or horn.
Looking at Jims diagram it lists it as a horn relay but the horn isnt connected to it in any way and cant be as the horn would sound as the step motor is activated.

It may be nothing more than a bog standard 30amp automotive relay

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The limit switch only works on the auto retract circuit and not the manually switched side.
The limit switch could still be the fault in this case.

I wouldn't rule it out just yet!

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Have a look at this one then John. Link Removed

It states clearly there is a live feed from the fridge relay when the engine is running, as it would do if you wanted the fridge on 12V while running the engine.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have a look at this one then John. Link Removed

It states clearly there is a live feed from the fridge relay when the engine is running, as it would do if you wanted the fridge on 12V while running the engine.
Agreed, but the supply could be from any ignition switched circuit....and why would it say horn relay, which will possibly be far from the step relay

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I had this problem on my AT Tracker ie step wouldn't retract automatically but was ok manually but also found that the fridge wouldn't work on 12v.
I found the fridge relay under the bonnet beside the engine battery and there was a blown fuse in a block beside the relay.
Hope this helps.
John

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Had same thing happen to me, just before the alternator packed in, or at least the charge light came on and stayed on :)

The main vehicle battery has lots of buzz bar fuses, as well as a number of other "inline" fuses too :)

On inspection a small fuse had blown and simply needed replacing, so pinkies crossed yours is the same :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back