LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Whilst driving through Wales this weekend...A sheep loving person caught my mirror with the roof of his van....only the outer casing is broken suprisingly...

Anyone have some mirror guards for sale?

Or a link to bit some?

johnandsue

Free Member
Jun 25, 2011
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 640
Exp
Since 2012
Bought some at Malvern show, dealer will probably be at Lincoln.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Smashed my offside mirror guard to smithereens -won't bother buying any others

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Those are very expensive long arm mirrors John
Ebay under £130

example Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Yeah thanks guys....I'm after some on ebay looks better to get a replacement mirror than guards...129 for a mirror 114 for guards...i don't get it

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
You should look at the other threads about mirrorguards. The much cheaper Milenco product is screwed on and the screws are easily removed by any passing villain. Easy to put on, easy to steal. So if you buy this product superglue the screws in place. And don't rely on protection from anything other than carpark speed scrapes, and no protection at all for the £25 indicator. People will say they were traveling at the speed of light and their cover protected them (either product) so they will always work. That's nonsense, they were simply lucky.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Cheers guys just ordered the milenco ones at 59 pound.....

I need then because I have a partly ddestroyed mirror and If someone wants to steal em good luck to ya

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Have fitted this afternoon a left side long arm lookalikeeee mirror, £129 from eurowagons. O.K at the minute I don't have a radio aerial which is fitted in the left mirror on an original Fiat part. Given the saving confident I can sort that out. When I removed the Mirror Guard from the old mirror to put on the new mirror. To my surprise the old mirror had several cracks and a hole in it whilst the mirror guard had no marks on it at all.

For anybody interested it took me approx. 1 hour to fit. Easy enough to do. Remove the plastic surround from a round the window, 5 screws. The mirror itself is held on with 4 screws which you can see once the surround is removed. To sort the electrics out use a small screw driver and gently prise the elec window switch out. Then again small screw driver to prise the front cover of the door speaker. Remove the speaker itself 3 screws bingo there are the elec's /plugs.

Van is Fiat Ducato 130 multi jet---Swift Bolero 59 plate

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
You should look at the other threads about mirrorguards. The much cheaper Milenco product is screwed on and the screws are easily removed by any passing villain. Easy to put on, easy to steal. So if you buy this product superglue the screws in place. And don't rely on protection from anything other than carpark speed scrapes, and no protection at all for the £25 indicator. People will say they were traveling at the speed of light and their cover protected them (either product) so they will always work. That's nonsense, they were simply lucky.

Not true in my experience today in France
I have mirror guards and was hit by an oncoming vw transporter at 35mph he had no mirror left at all (the whole unit was removed from the vechicle) and I had a small hairline crack and a scuff mark on the mirror guard so fair to say they do work
Maybe i was lucky, in which case I will be doing the lottery this weekend

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I have mirror guards and was hit by an oncoming vw transporter at 35mph he had no mirror left at all (the whole unit was removed from the vechicle) and I had a small hairline crack and a scuff mark on the mirror guard so fair to say they do work
How do you know what speed he was doing?

I'm surprised his mirror broke as an ex vw transporter owner I know they're pretty hefty mirrors and usually fold back on impact .....even in reverse ....:p

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
How do you know what speed he was doing?

I'm surprised his mirror broke as an ex vw transporter owner I know they're pretty hefty mirrors and usually fold back on impact .....even in reverse ....:p

We were travelling with a couple in front and one behind (who ran over the remains of his casing) and confirmed the whole unit broke off and on a busy road
Trust me he was travelling at a similar speed
Maybe they don't make like they used to tambo or maybe the mirrorguard do help
Mine is a fiat ducato

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots

Yes and I hit a tree at a similar speed and my mirror was smashed to bits and the Mirrorguard disappeared with half of it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but I am sick of hearing how it must always work because it worked for Joe Bloggs one time. One guy on another thread even said his Mirrorguard protected his mirror at 8 miles an hour so it must always work. I have the bill to prove that it doesn't - perhaps I should put up a picture of it to finally dispel this ridiculous assertion. Whilst I'm on it maybe I should put up the bill for a replacement indicator which was smashed when I was forced into the side of the road by an oncoming truck. The Mirrorguard was OK though so of course they always work don't they.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Mirror Guard or the Milenco product I don't know. What I do feel is that since fitting white mirror guards, on coming vehicles are more aware of my mirrors and that solves half the problem.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I would compare them to cycling hats.. protect from small bumps and grazes if you fall off, but won't protect from been run over by an artic lorry .. others say they are made of Kryptonite :LOL:

Quote from Milenco product description..

"they will not protect against severe or major impacts".

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Yes and I hit a tree at a similar speed and my mirror was smashed to bits and the Mirrorguard disappeared with half of it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but I am sick of hearing how it must always work because it worked for Joe Bloggs one time. One guy on another thread even said his Mirrorguard protected his mirror at 8 miles an hour so it must always work. I have the bill to prove that it doesn't - perhaps I should put up a picture of it to finally dispel this ridiculous assertion. Whilst I'm on it maybe I should put up the bill for a replacement indicator which was smashed when I was forced into the side of the road by an oncoming truck. The Mirrorguard was OK though so of course they always work don't they.
Hitting a tree is different, as it won't move from my experience, however hitting an oncoming vechicle is what there designed for as there mirror will fold in (most cases) so not really a valid compassion movinon.
Can only speak from my experience yesterday, don't really want to hit anyone else, and in that instance at 35mph it worked I too can provide pictures to prove it does help
As someone else pointed out they do help make them stand out to oncoming traffic IMO

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
A perfectly reasonable point. Had the tree been traveling towards me at 35mph the resultant impact would have been at 70mph though. My mirror also folded on impact so that would have to be entered into the equation. Of course there are two impacts to consider. The impact when the mirror hit the tree and the impact when the folded mirror hit the side of the van, where I suspect most of the damage was done. So a folding mirror may not help much. Mirrorguard place no limitation on their use or effectiveness at any speed, but Mirrorguard cost £140+ and the Milenco product £50-£60. The Mirrorguard may possibly be better made to justify the price, but with the Mirrorguard product there is little protection to the actual reflective mirrorside when it hits the van, with the Milenco product there is some.

I wish the best of luck to anyone who buys either product. May you never find out under what scenario it fails to work. So far I am down £475 because I believed the Mirrorguard hype. I've probably posted too much in the past on this subject and will now desist - I have no wish to become known as "Movinon the mirror man"! So I'm off to France for a month and movinon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back