geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi im an ex caravanner ex boater and now aiming to get 2 berth motorhome around october to november but have a couple of question.

There are so many types out there but have narrowed it down to two layouts that i like. These are either two bench seats opposite each other or liunge at rhe back.

But main question is ref moped or scooters.

What would you reccomend for two people i would look to put it across the back on an external type carrier.

Also what would be a good two gerth model budget around £14k

Cheers

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there and welcome to MHF.good luck with your search.take your time choosing theres loads out there.
brian and jo

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
£14K will buy you a pretty decent MH if you shop around a lot.

Rear mounted scooter is a nightmare, basically you hang 150kg of scooter and rack but because it's so far from the back axle the loading on the axle could be 300kg so can the axle stand another 300kg BUT most important is the 300kg all of your carrying capacity.

Only pretty huge 4/6 berth MHs can stand that kind of loading.

Unless someone on here has done this exercise you'll not get a simple answer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi and welcome from Devon :welc:
Your in the right club for info on your scooter idea but as already mentioned be careful with your payload trailer ?
I have what is deemed as an illegal
Suspend tow M/C carrier never been stopped and passed plenty of plod .just my choice.:Smile:

OP
OP
G

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Wow thought it was straight forward, i may end up with a big ramp pushing it inside, alternative may be a small towable bike trailer or good old fashioned pedal power

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Rear mounted scooter is a nightmare, basically you hang 150kg of scooter and rack but because it's so far from the back axle the loading on the axle could be 300kg so can the axle stand another 300kg BUT most important is the 300kg all of your carrying capacity.
Agree in principle with that, but the maths aren't quite right. If you add 150kg anywhere to your load it will only result in an increase of 150Kg to your total load. In the example you give if the overhang was such as to add 300kg to the rear axle then it would decrease the load on the front axle by 150kg. But I suspect the practical end result would be the same, in that it is very difficult to add 150kg of loading in the motorhome and get it all above or in front of the front axle to compensate!

The Honda scooter (either 50 or 100cc) which is popular weighs in at about 100kg. Most people with scooters or small motorbikes tend to put them in a rear garage, which brings them closer to the rear axle. But to do that you would need to change your layout to one with fixed rear double bed, or two singles as we have. We looked into the possibility when we bought our motorhome (Adria Coral 660SL with 3,500kg MGW) and it would work, but we ended up opting for two electric bikes. Not sure we made the right decision though. The bikes are very good, but we just don't get to use them enough.

OP
OP
G

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Agree in principle with that, but the maths aren't quite right. If you add 150kg anywhere to your load it will only result in an increase of 150Kg to your total load. In the example you give if the overhang was such as to add 300kg to the rear axle then it would decrease the load on the front axle by 150kg. But I suspect the practical end result would be the same, in that it is very difficult to add 150kg of loading in the motorhome and get it all above or in front of the front axle to compensate!

The Honda scooter (either 50 or 100cc) which is popular weighs in at about 100kg. Most people with scooters or small motorbikes tend to put them in a rear garage, which brings them closer to the rear axle. But to do that you would need to change your layout to one with fixed rear double bed, or two singles as we have. We looked into the possibility when we bought our motorhome (Adria Coral 660SL with 3,500kg MGW) and it would work, but we ended up opting for two electric bikes. Not sure we made the right decision though. The bikes are very good, but we just don't get to use them enough.

Appreciate the advice, i never thought of electric

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Electric bikes are popular with motorhomers, and light enough to put a couple on a bike rack on the back, as long as you are careful. Trouble is they can be vulnerable to theft on there. You can get folding ones that are small enough to put in a locker or you can put full size ones in the motorhome garage of you have one.

Google AS Bikes. Very helpful and friendly family company that are at many of the shows. We have two of their Electrobike Mk3's, which are well built and relatively cheap. Mind you 2 of them are almost as expensive as a new Honda 100cc Scooter!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

They are excellent depending on what your expectations are. Poor for distance and load carrying. GREAT for along sea fronts, pedestrian areas. There are miles of such areas along the whole coast of Spain and round Lake Garda. Germany are the masters in providing proper cycle tracks.

In August we stayed in Bowness, the bikes got us over the ferry for £1 each, on to Wray Castle along the miles of good quality cycle track.

I keep saying that on balance the electrics win but there are times when I'd like a petrol bike with me. Full sized bikes on trailers are common but I've never fancied the hassle.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome, as former caravanners you are used to having transport when you stop. Many MH owners don't carry bikes or scooters and rely on feet and public transport. If you plan where you are going to stop so shops and pubs are within walking distance or shop on the way you may find feet are perfectly adequate.
This is not to say having some other form of transport isn't a good thing but MHs need a different mindset I think. I am a strong believer in decluttering your life and the more "things" you have sometimes the more hassle. Others buy lots of new toys all the time but this isn't for me. Relax with what you have!

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Wow thought it was straight forward, i may end up with a big ramp pushing it inside, alternative may be a small towable bike trailer or good old fashioned pedal power

If you push it inside then it will have to be secured. You dont want that think flying forward at 70 in the case of an accident. Better put it on a trailer and tow it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:welc:

The most important consideration is layout.
After that in any order you want:
payload
how many berths
how many travel seats (you might want to take Grandchildren at some point)
oh, and payload.

We have the MK3 AS electric bikes and use them on a daily basis. We were very taken with the electric scooters you see around but had a bad experience with one make and it put me off completely.

Even when we are at home we will go for a 6 mile circular therapeutic bike ride most evenings. We woul dnot have done that without the electric bikes as it is so hilly round here. The Drake got (another) puncture this evening so I left him and cycled home, put my bike away and went back for him with the car. New inner tube to fit tomorrow but that's an easy job even with the motor on the rear wheel. I don't know why he gets so many punctures, he'll have to have a good look at the tyre in case there is a thorn in there, two punctures in a week :blush: but the hawthorn and blackthorn hedges are being given a trim at present so lots of thorns around on the roads.

I get more than 30 miles on a single battery charge and it is very hilly round here but I only use the electric when I need a boost. If you use the electric on the "E" setting and don't pedal the battery will run down much faster than only using the battery when you need the boost. The "A" setting is great when you are a bit wabbit though.

Big plans for touring with the bikes and the MH next year!!!!!

OP
OP
G

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Tell you one thing, im really impressed how friendly and informative everyone is. Im going for a drive out tomorrow to view some vans in dealers with the Mrs. In the hope she agrees with my enthusiasm.

I started recording the motorhome channel this week as well as hitting every website on MHs i could. As with the boat i sold i went into it a bit blind and was guided by far to many people suggesting different things. So i am getting a clear view of what i want ie layout, age, mileage, service history so forth.

I think i will opt for a bike trailer to take my motorbike.

Next on the list is reading material, which motorhome mag to subscribe to.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Welcome,

Alan + Diane

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Welcome to the brilliant Mad House of FUN :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back