Deltacharlie26

Free Member
Aug 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Bessie E630
Exp
First year
Bessacarr E630, Leisure battery, brand new 110Ah. Terminal volts about 13v ish Just got back from 1hr run from the dealers. Put on EHU and charger reads 14.4v 17A according to the panel, voltmeter confirms 14.4v ish at battery terminals. Stays on this rate for about 5hrs then goes to float. Next day, reconnect EHU and same ritual. Although battery is fully charged, charger still pumps out 17A indicated on panel and 14.4v on battery for another 5hrs before going to float.

I haven't got a clamp on ammeter to confirm the current levels but can hear battery gassing away merrily when on boost.

My question is this right? Presumably if I keep connecting EHU the battery will keep being cooked even though not requiring any boost voltage, certainly not for 5hrs at a time. Is my charger faulty or just a dumb charger that bangs out max amps for 5 hrs then goes straight to float. I don't think the battery will last too long with this constant overcharging if I don't manually control it. Am I expecting too much? Surely the battery charger should sample the terminal voltage and reduce the current as the charging procedure is progressing? Any Techies confirm it is a faulty charger?
Dennis

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
If you leave the hook up off for 24hrs what voltage does the battery show?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the battery is gassing after a short time on hookup, every time, i reckon you have a faulty charger.

New battery may be falty but unlikely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Deltacharlie26

Deltacharlie26

Free Member
Aug 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Bessie E630
Exp
First year

If you leave the hook up off for 24hrs what voltage does the battery show?

According to the panel, 13v ish.
I have just timed the last charge session on a fully charged battery(more or less as it is brand new and had an hours drive prior to the test) and it took exactly 5 hours before going to float. That's 5 hours at 17A on a more or less fully charged 110AH battery. I suspect that the charger is not sampling the terminal voltage and just timing out after 5 hours as a safety thing. I will repeat it tomorrow and check the precise voltages before, during and after. I don't know how clever (or dumb) a MH charger is. It is a 2010 model vehicle, but I haven't found the charger yet. Only had the MH a week!
I returned it to the dealer as I suspected either the battery was suspect or the charger. The dealer merely changed the battery out of goodwill but I am not convinced that the old battery was faulty, just a little tired. I did a load test and got 60AH out of the old battery (rated 110AH) and assumed that was the reason the charger wasn't cutting out after a reasonable time (partly sulphated maybe). Pumping out 85AH each session it is connected won't be good for the new battery if it doesn't need it, in my opinion, and as the battery type is sealed, won't be long before being boiled dry. I have no experience of MH chargers.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What type of battery do you have? Lead acid or Gel? They have different charging regimes and there should be a switch on your charger to enable you to change routines. By the sound of it I think it may be set to Gel. From memory that had a longer period before going to float.

Your dealer should have given you a proper handover - at least an hour. And he definitely should have showed you where important things like the charger are.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
This is an old post but if it's a Gel battery the switch may still be in the same place

"
The Hog,

This might be a little long winded to answer a simple question, but here goes:

There are two types of "GEL" batteries, which are better known as VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) batteries. One (which is normally the cheaper) uses a thicker electrolyte than traditional "WET" lead acid batteries, and is referred to as "GEL". The other uses AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat), in which the lead acid is absorbed into the matting. These are also known as "DRY" batteries, and cost considerably more than either WET or GEL batteries.

Swift chargers are able to cope with all three types of batteries. For WET or GEL batteries, there is no need to change any settings, as the two types are fundamentally, the same technology. For AGM batteries, the switch on the rear of the charger (hidden under a sticker, below the CE mark) needs to be changes to the "GEL" setting.

However, you need to be sure which of the two types of VRLA batteries you have (GEL or DRY), before you change the charger function, as both types are sometimes sold as “GEL” batteries.

I hope that helps.

Ash
Edited by SwiftGroup, 02 March 2009 - 11:22 AM.
"

Join swift-talk.co.uk and ask them

OP
OP
Deltacharlie26

Deltacharlie26

Free Member
Aug 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Bessie E630
Exp
First year
Thanks for the reply. I will look for the charger today and check. The battery fitted is a sealed low maintenance wet type. Not Agm or Gel so I am thinking maybe a Gel setting somewhere. The controller panel mcbs etc are made by Nordlett Electronica, Italy and Google isn't being my friend so no info. The handbook in the van refers to a sargent system which is not fitted!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The controller panel mcbs etc are made by Nordlett Electronica, Italy and Google isn't being my friend so no info. The handbook in the van refers to a sargent system which is not fitted!
Sounds like you have only found the 240V distribution system with your reference to mcbs. You need to find the unit which is used to charge the batteries and distribute the 12v system. Could be near the 240V but not necessarily (mine isn't). Should have a bank of vehicle type fuses for the 12V circuits. I thought all Swift group vans used Sargeant, but could well be wrong. Have you asked the dealer where the charger is?

OP
OP
Deltacharlie26

Deltacharlie26

Free Member
Aug 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Bessie E630
Exp
First year
This is an old post but if it's a Gel battery the switch may still be in the same place
Found the charger and it is the Nordletta one. It has a sticker by the EC marking covering up a link which says PB on one side and AGM on the other. There is no link fitted.
I will go onto the Swift website as this is probably getting too technical now.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back