rejection of new vehicle (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
has anyone out there ever rejected their new vehicle and been refunded? we are taking our dealer to court as he has ignored out request, any advice?

dis heartened:cry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its a drastic step ad one that you should take some professional advice upon.

That said, I think this has been done before. Did you buy from new? Have you been reasonable in trying to resolve the issues you have encountered? Do you have everything in writing?

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Don't know yet :Blush: due to pick our new van up on Friday this week. I have a couple of checklists courtesy of members of this & other sites. As yet I have paid a deposit & will keep hold of the cash until I have checked the van over. We are hoping everything will be ok :thumb: but if not I am always prepared to do what it takes to get satisfaction :RollEyes:.

At the NEC show we picked up some leaflets one of which was called 'Knowing Your Consumer Rights' it says that on 31st march 2003 a European Directive came into force which improved your rights. It goes on to say that the seller now has to repair or replace your vehicle if it's defective.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
It's done quite a bit on this side of the pond, both with vehicles in stock and special ordered ones. In fact, California has a law that gives buyers the right to change their mind up to 3 days after driving off in their new vehicle. Dealers try to get buyers to waive that right, but they quickly retract the request when the buyer walks away.

Some years ago, one car manufacturer offered a "30 day trial period", with no questions asked if a vehicle was returned to the dealer. My daughter traded in her old car and came away with a shiny new one. When my lecture on buying real property instead of a depreciating vehicle finally sank in, she returned the car on day 29. The full deposit was refunded and, when the dealer asked about her old car, she said "that check you gave me for the old car is in the bank and will be used towards the down payment on my first house".

C

chrisvdb

Deleted User
Good Luck

Our dealer didn't want to know after we were told that the vehicle is non-comliant to the LEZ - so much for customer service!!!

Good Luck with taking the dealer to court - let us know how you get on!

Here's a thought - maybe we can start a "name & shame" link for all those dealers that think they can get away with it !!!:Angry:

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Name & Shame

Just make an alphabetical list of UK Dealers that should cover it!

OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Its a drastic step ad one that you should take some professional advice upon.

That said, I think this has been done before. Did you buy from new? Have you been reasonable in trying to resolve the issues you have encountered? Do you have everything in writing?

Hi Jim

Yes we bought from new, but you would'nt think that if you saw it! we have let them have it back for repair once and it came back with more problems than it went with, we have been in constant battle with them for 5 months, have got legal advice, have given them 14 days to reply to letter from lawyers which they have ignored, and so we will now proceed with court action, dealers seem to be so arrogant after you have parted with your cash!:Angry:

regards

dendog

OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Don't know yet :Blush: due to pick our new van up on Friday this week. I have a couple of checklists courtesy of members of this & other sites. As yet I have paid a deposit & will keep hold of the cash until I have checked the van over. We are hoping everything will be ok :thumb: but if not I am always prepared to do what it takes to get satisfaction :RollEyes:.

At the NEC show we picked up some leaflets one of which was called 'Knowing Your Consumer Rights' it says that on 31st march 2003 a European Directive came into force which improved your rights. It goes on to say that the seller now has to repair or replace your vehicle if it's defective.

Hi

yes we also did all the checks and indeed found these faults on the day we were collecting it, they have had it back for repair once and still let it come back to us with defects. we have lawyers who have given dealer 14 day reply notice which he has ignored so will now proceed to court.
one piece of advice is do not pay the balance by cash or cheque or debit card, rather pay it by credit card and pay the bill of when it comes in, that way you have many more consumer rights, as it makes the card supplier partly responsible and you could always get that money back if things were not right, ideally always pay on credit card !!

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
How did you pay for it?

If it was on finance then the Finance company may help..

If you paid a deposit using a credit card (always a good idea, must be over £100) then you have a lot of rights under section 75(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

How about Trading Standards?

I am not sure what the limit is for the small claims court, it was £25k..

Good luck...

OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
It's done quite a bit on this side of the pond, both with vehicles in stock and special ordered ones. In fact, California has a law that gives buyers the right to change their mind up to 3 days after driving off in their new vehicle. Dealers try to get buyers to waive that right, but they quickly retract the request when the buyer walks away.

Some years ago, one car manufacturer offered a "30 day trial period", with no questions asked if a vehicle was returned to the dealer. My daughter traded in her old car and came away with a shiny new one. When my lecture on buying real property instead of a depreciating vehicle finally sank in, she returned the car on day 29. The full deposit was refunded and, when the dealer asked about her old car, she said "that check you gave me for the old car is in the bank and will be used towards the down payment on my first house".

nice one!! can I come and live with you!!:roflmto:

invisybubble

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Funster No
Currently involved in this process, please remember that you lose all use of your vehicle once embarked on the legal process if you are till using it I would stop immediately. It is lengthy, costly and not for the faint hearted. We have also had engineers reports on ours to futher enhance our case and again this was not cheap. PM me for more info if you wish.
It may be more beneficial if these are waranty issues with the habitation part of the vehicle to negotiate with the manufacturer to get these issues dealt with elsewhere if at all possible. Sorry I do not know which vehicle you have. It will certainly be a whole lot cheaper and less stressful

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back