StAubyns

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Mansfield Woodhouse
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My niece, who lives in France, says that from the 1st October 2008, the French Police are fining motorists if they do not have at least 1 reflective jacket in the car where it can easily be reached before getting out of the car.

They are also checking for warning triangles and spare bulbs.

In the area around Lyon where she lives the fines are €138 for no jacket plus a further €138 for no triangle/spare bulbs

S

stagman

Deleted User
My niece, who lives in France, says that from the 1st October 2008, the French Police are fining motorists if they do not have at least 1 reflective jacket in the car where it can easily be reached before getting out of the car.

In the area around Lyon where she lives the fines are €138 for no jacket plus a further €138 for no triangle/spare bulbs

You can pick up a jacket for less than £3 in the markets and no need to pay more than £5 for a triangle less than a tenner for bulbs Daffs I like best ,so no excuse.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

At the RoSPA group I go to (North Devon RoADAR) our president, MPS (Motor Police Sergeant) Bob Lee, advised us that the French now want the high vis jackets to be sleeved coats. He didn't have any further details at that time; from the above post it seems they're not being insistant - yet!

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

That's true !AND... even if you have the jacket IN your car but you forgot to put it ON when getting out of the car, in case of breakdown (especially on motorways),you'll be fined just the same!!!

So carefull!!!

Amicalement
Frankie:Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You need a hi-viz jacket for every passenger, and you need to keep these inside the motorhome. Stepping outside to retrieve the jackets from an outside locker will result in the same fine as if you did not have them.

An article in the telegraph last week is worth reading

Link Removed

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
At the RoSPA group I go to (North Devon RoADAR) our president, MPS (Motor Police Sergeant) Bob Lee, advised us that the French now want the high vis jackets to be sleeved coats. He didn't have any further details at that time; from the above post it seems they're not being insistant - yet!

John

From a recent post I read, not sure where the requirement is for a specific type of reflective coat and marked EU with the particular referance/standard number. Maybe someone can find the referance

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
You need a hi-viz jacket for every passenger, and you need to keep these inside the motorhome. Stepping outside to retrieve the jackets from an outside locker will result in the same fine as if you did not have them.

Link Removed

We keep our high vis jackets slung over the back of our seats and the warning triangles behind the drivers seat. Always at hand. Just as a side issue. Apart from it being the law its also a very very good idea. Your a lot safer on the road with these than without them.

Cheers

Jim :Smile:

Just to add, Dont Mess With Anybodies Police !!!!

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Link Removed

i know this is a very serious post Jim but i just cant take the gendarme in the photo seriously...........has he parked THUNDERBIRD 2 just out of shot. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Link Removed

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
re. the french police, FULL MARKS to them, the sooner our police have the same powers the better ! just look at all the joy riders, young drivers speeding etc. need i go on, i know that this will upset a lot of people but only because they are scared of being caught and paying the consequences ! :Eeek:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Attachments

• thunderbirds.jpg
    thunderbirds.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 55

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
From a recent post I read, not sure where the requirement is for a specific type of reflective coat and marked EU with the particular referance/standard number. Maybe someone can find the referance

I remember reading that somewhere too.
Too picky by far - I reckon getting everybody to carry them is a pretty damn good achievement so let them not be sniffy about the size of the buttons, the colour of the ribbons, is the lining satin or poly and whether there's a secret pocket for your wallet.:ROFLMAO:

John::bigsmile:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've just found this
Warning triangle and high-vis jackets required: This French Life

this
Rules on warning triangle and high-vis jackets enforced: This French Life

and this
http://************************/forum-printtopic-1-49385-0-0-asc-viewresult-1.html
Ah! well that seems to be prohibited. They - the other lot - don't want us sharing, but if you do a Google search on "Hi visibilty jackets in France" all the references I quoted here are there.

also this, though we may need some help from Frankie
Le site de la Sécurité Routière - Gilet et triangle de présignalisation

Don't know how one can tell if ones gilet conforms or not.

John

Last edited:
A

acko

Deleted User
i know this is a very serious post Jim but i just cant take the gendarme in the photo seriously...........has he parked THUNDERBIRD 2 just out of shot. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:View attachment 1644

You'd take him seriously if he stopped you. The Gendarmes aren't as genial as British police. The worst thing you can do with them is try and argue a point. If he tells you you were breaking the law, you were breaking the law and that's all there is to it. You'd be surprised how many more laws you can break if you argue or if he thinks you're not taking him seriously.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You'd take him seriously if he stopped you. The Gendarmes aren't as genial as British police. The worst thing you can do with them is try and argue a point. If he tells you you were breaking the law, you were breaking the law and that's all there is to it. You'd be surprised how many more laws you can break if you argue or if he thinks you're not taking him seriously.

all this is very true acko but he still looks like a refugee from Tracey island :ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
More European Rules being Enforced on us !!!!! No Thanks

I'm obviously the voice in the wilderness but;

I hope this does'nt become law here although I suppose it wll. I am sick and fed up of living in a Nanny State where the freedom of choice is being constantly eroded away. As usual the justification is Health & Safety because of course we're not capable of making a sensible decision for our selves are we.

I like most was taught how to cross the road and respect the dangers of traffic as a child and have'nt forgotten those lessons. I am hardly likely to play chicken with traffic and if I was some poxy yellow jacket won't save me, or anyone else who does want to play chicken.

I do carry yellow jackets in Europe because I'm a law abiding citizen not because I agree with stupid laws made by faceless idiots in Brussel's or London for that matter.

Sorry Rant Over :Eeek:
No offense meant :thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I've just found this
Warning triangle and high-vis jackets required: This French Life

this
Rules on warning triangle and high-vis jackets enforced: This French Life

and this
http://************************/forum-printtopic-1-49385-0-0-asc-viewresult-1.html
Ah! well that seems to be prohibited. They - the other lot - don't want us sharing, but if you do a Google search on "Hi visibilty jackets in France" all the references I quoted here are there.

also this, though we may need some help from Frankie
Le site de la Sécurité Routière - Gilet et triangle de présignalisation

Don't know how one can tell if ones gilet conforms or not.

John

Hi Jaydee!

Well, i read the whole thing on the 2 sites you gave the links to... there nothing much to add. You just need to see CE written on the jacket. It must be yellow or orange with 2 reflecting strips on each side(front/behind). The sleeves are not compulsary...and that's it!:Smile::winky:

Amicalement

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Jaydee!

Well, i read the whole thing on the 2 sites you gave the links to... there nothing much to add. You just need to see CE written on the jacket. It must be yellow or orange with 2 reflecting strips on each side(front/behind). The sleeves are not compulsary...and that's it!:Smile::winky:

Amicalement

Thanks Frankie. Most helpful::bigsmile:

John

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
More European Rules being Enforced on us !!!!! No Thanks

I'm obviously the voice in the wilderness but;

I hope this does'nt become law here although I suppose it wll. I am sick and fed up of living in a Nanny State where the freedom of choice is being constantly eroded away. As usual the justification is Health & Safety because of course we're not capable of making a sensible decision for our selves are we.

I like most was taught how to cross the road and respect the dangers of traffic as a child and have'nt forgotten those lessons. I am hardly likely to play chicken with traffic and if I was some poxy yellow jacket won't save me, or anyone else who does want to play chicken.

I do carry yellow jackets in Europe because I'm a law abiding citizen not because I agree with stupid laws made by faceless idiots in Brussel's or London for that matter.

Sorry Rant Over :Eeek:
No offense meant :thumb:

Hi Forestboy!

I know nothing about the other europeens' behaviour but i have to say it: French are just little brats!!! no matter health or security, they just want (well most of them, and i do admit that sometimes i happen to be one of them:Blush:....hum... very few times...:Blush:)to do what they want. These last 5 years all sorts of laws have been voted in order to change they behaviour and ...it worked!
I do understand what you mean, a jacket won't save if you are stupid and silly. But if you are a reasonnable person AND you wear your jacket when breakingdown, perhaps you'll have a chance to survive if a stupid/silly/drunk driver recognizes the jacket(not the reasonnable person you are) and avoid you . It won't be "intelligence" it will just be "habit"
I don't know if my english is good enough for you to get what i mean! Hope so!:winky:

Amicalement

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
I think you will find on the continent you MUST have 2 jackets and 2 Triangles. Like Jim says, the more passengers you carry the more jackets required. That is what I am given to understand. Or am I wrong???

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I think you will find on the continent you MUST have 2 jackets and 2 Triangles. Like Jim says, the more passengers you carry the more jackets required. That is what I am given to understand. Or am I wrong???

Hi Beachbum!

I'm positive!! you are wrong!In France it's only one, and you won't be fined if you have only one. Now, of course it seems a bit more sensible to have at least 2 of them, in case you need help when you try to repair a breakdown.
You need as well only one triangle while in Andorra or Pas de la casa you must have 2 jackets and 2 triangles!::bigsmile:

Amicalement,

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi evebody!

You know what? I'm going to ask to the gendarmerie what are the exact terms of the law, it'll be easier. I'll try to do that today , i'm a bit in a hurry right now, since i have to go. But when i get back i'll do it and tell you what they say. So everybody will feel peacefull when driving in France!

Have a nice day all of you!

Amicalement

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hello !

Back again .... with informations from the "gendarmerie nationale":
Only one jacket( as i described it before) in the car no matter how many persons are in.
One triangle:to be conform it must be :
E 27R
The fine is 135eur(no matter the town) unless you pay it at once or within 3 days and then you will only be fined 90eur.:thumb:
If you forget the jacket OR the triangle it's 135eur
If you forget the jacket AND the triangle , you must not be fined twice! You can complain if it happens:shout:(i've been told that the law has been misunderstood by some policemen and they charged twice! So after a lot of complains a circular told them they must not do it.)

Any question:RollEyes:???????

Amicalement

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hello !

Back again .... with informations from the "gendarmerie nationale":
Only one jacket( as i described it before) in the car no matter how many persons are in.
One triangle:to be conform it must be :
E 27R
The fine is 135eur(no matter the town) unless you pay it at once or within 3 days and then you will only be fined 90eur.:thumb:
If you forget the jacket OR the triangle it's 135eur
If you forget the jacket AND the triangle , you must not be fined twice! You can complain if it happens:shout:(i've been told that the law has been misunderstood by some policemen and they charged twice! So after a lot of complains a circular told them they must not do it.)

Any question:RollEyes:???????

No. Not a single one. ::bigsmile:
Amicalement

Thanks very much.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.