A shameless plug (well, ok, a request for help) (1 Viewer)

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
2 years with a campervan; saw the light, now mortorhome newbie
Is there any kind motorhomer currently travelling on the continent who could please pick us up a Dometic sink plug?

We have a Dethleffs which has been fitted with European Dometic equipment, including sink, and the Euro-fit sink plugs are different to those stocked by Dometic in the UK.

Dometic UK gave me two suppliers to try and neither of them have come back to me.

It would seem that the easiest way to get hold of one is to ask if anyone is (going to be) on the continent and wouldn't mind picking one up for us? We'd be very grateful.

Detail: It's a stainless steel plug. The diameter of the top is 35mm. The stalk protrudes 22mm, and is 5mm in diameter. As it is a plug that is raised and lowered by means of a dial on the sink top, it has a cut-in at the bottom where it fits into the mechanism. I've attached a picture:

Sink plug that needs replacing.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Universap sink stopper.......available in most hardware type stores, and most likely most supermarkets in france and spain.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
wellsprungalice

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Universap sink stopper.......available in most hardware type stores, and most likely most supermarkets in france and spain.

Broken Link Removed

Yup, yup, we ordered one, it turned up with a little nodule underneath that was presumably to strengthen the little handle on top - but it was big enough to stop the plug fitting snug against the plughole. :(

Also invested in a folding washing up bowl. It's doing the job, but it's not ideal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wellsprungalice

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
No, though I did try the DIY stores' plumbing sections and they didn't have anything that would do, Dometic or otherwise. Tried all the caravan and camping shops in our area as well as the two Dometic recommended.

have you tried a local plumbers merchants

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yup, yup, we ordered one, it turned up with a little nodule underneath that was presumably to strengthen the little handle on top - but it was big enough to stop the plug fitting snug against the plughole. :(

Also invested in a folding washing up bowl. It's doing the job, but it's not ideal.

Stanley knife.....never say never.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you tried Ebay ?

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Well have to say it would help if you gave the area of the 2 suppliers, like I am in Spain near Seville, but the supplier might be in France. I will help if I can......am I in the right country??(y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

little nodule underneath
find someone with a grinder grind of offending nodule
modify and adapt

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I know it isn't the same but would this do the job?

OP
OP
wellsprungalice

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Stanley knife.....never say never.

There's a metal stanchion in the middle of the nodule.

I could try ordering another kind. But, since we have a workaround already, I'd really rather have the real thing if I can get it.

OP
OP
wellsprungalice

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I know it isn't the same but would this do the job?

I don't think so, NickNic, but thanks for trying. The top of the existing plug is really thin because it sits into a shallow ledge, and the diameter of the plug hole then narrows. Difficult to explain, here's a pic of the sink (please excuse my sink - I didn't think I'd be posting a pic of it on here, so it's in a post-trip-pre-clean state).

sink complete.jpg

OP
OP
wellsprungalice

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Well have to say it would help if you gave the area of the 2 suppliers, like I am in Spain near Seville, but the supplier might be in France. I will help if I can......am I in the right country??(y)

Oh, sorry. Miscommunication.

The two supplier names Dometic UK gave me are UK suppliers who might have the right thing, but they've never come back to me despite chasing, and i've given up with them.

What I'm asking for is if someone is travelling on the continent and should happen upon a shop or outlet that carries Dometic parts, if they could look out for one, as these should be common in France/Spain/definitely Germany etc.

For some reason, Dometic seem to have different fittings for their UK-supplied sinks. The plugs Dometic stock in the UK are generally a bit smaller and their stalks are a lot thinner than the one I'm trying to replace.

OP
OP
wellsprungalice

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have you tried Ebay ?

Yup, ten items, all either the one NickNic found, or kits to replace the whole sink plug assembly, none of which are the pop-up type. But, thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
wellsprungalice

wellsprungalice

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Leroy Merlin? They might be able to order one if not in stock.

0 résultat de recherche pour dometic.

I will keep them in mind, and thank you, but I think it's more likely a camping and caravan shop will have them. I'm probably just being a wimp and I need to find a suitable shop and mail them in my schoolgirl French to see if they have it and whether or not they'll mail it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back