Painting the old girl. Suggestions for types of paint suitable? (1 Viewer)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Our van (a 1993 Swift Kontiki 600 FiatDucato for those who haven't paid attention to my numerous questions previously) has a few battle scars which the previous owner touched up with white paint. As the majority of the bodywork is Motorhome Beige I'd like to give her a seeing to and a jolly good going over.
What kind of paint could I brush on (don't like spray cans) that would cover everything, be as flexible as it needs to be, and not wash off in the first downpour?
I've considered Plastikote but they only do spray cans, and Hammerite, but their colours are... interesting.

Attachments

• 20140906_165942-001.jpg
    20140906_165942-001.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 23

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Tekaloid used to be good brushing paint years ago but they quite possibly have something better nowadays. Oyster white looks a good match. Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Use an oil based paint, depends what finish you want, Gloss? Satin? Eggshell?
What ever it's up to you.
Apply it using a sponge roller, this gives you a finish just like a spray gun, they are small (100mm) so easy to load and handle, you can see the result and finish at once, good for the alloy dimple finish on the older M/H.
Buy a pack of ten from a Paint Trade Centre, no need to clean just skip them at the end of the day

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Tekaloid used to be good brushing paint years ago but they quite possibly have something better nowadays. Oyster white looks a good match. Broken Link Removed

Thanks. I understand coach paint is quite unforgiving and quite an art to apply. While I'm not a (complete) numptie I'd rather go with something a bit easier to apply if it exists as I'm worried about making a mess of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Apply it using a sponge roller, this gives you a finish just like a spray gun, they are small (100mm) so easy to load and handle, you can see the result and finish at once, good for the alloy dimple finish on the older M/H.
Buy a pack of ten from a Paint Trade Centre, no need to clean just skip them at the end of the day

Thanks. An oil-based eggshell would be good. Now to find some...

Upvote 0

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
used rustoleum on mine gloss used a roller not foam (they break up) the secret is in the prep work . have a look on youtube some usefull stuff on there .:cool::cool: STAN

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Only if the spray gun is used by a blind man at 30 paces lol

Upvote 0

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Our van (a 1993 Swift Kontiki 600 FiatDucato for those who haven't paid attention to my numerous questions previously) has a few battle scars which the previous owner touched up with white paint. As the majority of the bodywork is Motorhome Beige I'd like to give her a seeing to and a jolly good going over.
What kind of paint could I brush on (don't like spray cans) that would cover everything, be as flexible as it needs to be, and not wash off in the first downpour?
I've considered Plastikote but they only do spray cans, and Hammerite, but their colours are... interesting.
Bare in mind once you go down that route there's no return and it may well put off any future buyers ......

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
used rustoleum on mine gloss used a roller not foam (they break up) the secret is in the prep work . have a look on youtube some usefull stuff on there .:cool::cool: STAN

Not if you are quick, thin the paint with a little turps (25-50ml per litre) and keep it loaded with paint, I've painted 14 garage doors on the trot, using the same roller without a problem.
Any Dulux Trade Centre will sell you an oil based Eggshell finish.
Just a thought on your "Motor Home Beige" when we had our Pilote the colour was "Antelope Beige"

, so will Johnsons a

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back