wild camp places in west of scotland (1 Viewer)

Dethleffs Man

Free Member
Sep 1, 2014
Funster No
MH
Over Cab
Exp
Since 2010
Hi am interested in wild cam places in west of scotland anywhere past glasgow obviously! and up past Oban to Loch Ewe especially if you know places right on beach side as have family and love the sea and chance to see wildlife, otters, seals and sea eagles?? never been before but time to change that, have spent many happy times on aires in france now want to explore scotland if you can help. hope to set off next weekend for a week or so thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
anywhere past glasgow obviously!

why ?

Don't discount the South West.

It is largely unspoilt with plenty of great beaches and wild parking places.. most tourists miss it out in their haste to get to the Highlands.. Lots to see and do and few tacky tourist shops..

Take the ferry from Ardrossan to Brodick Isle of Arran , plenty to see there with wild camping on the west coast .. Then a ferry from Lochranza over to Kintyre and continue your trip up to Oban.. that way you have missed the awful drive up Loch Lomond and the traffic in Glasgow ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dethleffs Man

Free Member
Sep 1, 2014
Funster No
MH
Over Cab
Exp
Since 2010
sounds good have spent many days in and around port patrick which is beautiful do you know any wild camp places we could try

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I am currently on the isle of Cumbrae at Millport. You can park on the street right at the beach, theres toilets with a fresh water tap outside too. Beautiful little island. Hire a bike and cycle the 10 mile or so round.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am currently on the isle of Cumbrae at Millport. You can park on the street right at the beach, theres toilets with a fresh water tap outside too. Beautiful little island. Hire a bike and cycle the 10 mile or so round.

Lovely Island.. was last there in 2009 researching a family member who died in 1913, age 18. She worked at the Lady Margaret hospital .. searched the old graveyard but never found her grave.

As a lad I used to cycle from Lochwinnoch with my cousin and get the ferry and cycle round the island .. in my teens it was a favorite place to take a girl for the day.. happy memories..

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Must agree with Scotjimland,the nearest of the western isles are the most accessible and mostly overlooked. My mums from the isle of Bute and there are many places to camp on the beach,there's also a swimming pool and small cinema,great walks,fishing and great putting greens on the front! All essential to keep the kids occupied if the weather turns nasty.Its also split in too by the Highland boundary fault so one side of the island is fairly flat but some great rocks to scramble around on the other.Only a days drive away.
Oban then Mull or further up the coast is a 2 day drive from where we are in Rutland so there and back in a week won't be worth it in my opinion.

Vlad

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
The great thing with the west coast is there's an abundance of wild camping spots you'll never go short of places to park up ....I've not used a campsite in Scotland since 2008 and im away every second weekend from January till November

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Dethleffs Man

Free Member
Sep 1, 2014
Funster No
MH
Over Cab
Exp
Since 2010
that sounds great tambo as a first time trip in my motorhome can you recommend anywhere beach side between bute to oban ? mainland may be easier for first trip island hopping next trip!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back