Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
Has anyone got an app for an iPhone as opposed to a standard sat nav?

I'm trying to locate a good sat nav and I'm finding that people either hate or love a product and no one product seems to shine through. I have posted about sat navs before but no-one managed to convince me to buy a particular model as when someone recommended one there was always someone else who didn't.

I'm researching iPhone ones atm and wondered has anyone experience of them & can recommend one?

What would make you buy a sat nav as opposed to using an app (unless you don't have an iPhone before I get any smart replies).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dot

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think the big issue with a lot of the ones available for the iPhone and other phones is that while the GPS works fine the map data isn't usually completely downloaded to the phone. It only downloads the bit you can see and a little bit more all round and then downloads more as you move around so you are relying on having a good enough internet signal to keep the map updating. A lot of the time you all you see is a grey screen with the GPS position flashing in the middle. If anyone knows of an app that downloads the complete map and saves it I would be interested to see it as well.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I use Google Maps as a sat nav on my iPhone. Also have a battery pack to keep it fully charged as sat nav uses lots of battery power
Works great as a bike sat nav too

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
If anyone knows of an app that downloads the complete map and saves it I would be interested to see it as well.

Having done some googling, there appear to be quite a few that can be downloaded beforehand so therefore no need to use roaming data. As usual, lots of pros and cons so I'll have to troll through them all & see which suits best. Have good maps anyway - this is just as back up though it may end up being the other way around. Will let you know when I choose the one I'm going to use & will give a report on it when I get back home.

Dot

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
I use Google Maps as a sat nav on my iPhone. Also have a battery pack to keep it fully charged as sat nav uses lots of battery power
Works great as a bike sat nav too

Do you mean to plug it into the cigarette lighter?

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Dotplus6. I use a bog standard TomTom when driving but am a big fan of Navfree when out of van. Pro: can be used when no signal available (uses downloaded maps). Useful both in no signal places / overseas.
Con: battery hungry. Carry the charger and find a local cafe.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just a note on Google maps.. which I also like and use.

As I understand it, after you set the journey it cache's the route map, so there is no need for a data connection while driving..

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990

I'm trying to locate a good sat nav and I'm finding that people either hate or love a product and no one product seems to shine through. I have posted about sat navs before but no-one managed to convince me to buy a particular model as when someone recommended one there was always someone else who didn't.

I'm researching iPhone ones atm and wondered has anyone experience of them & can recommend one?

What would make you buy a sat nav as opposed to using an app (unless you don't have an iPhone before I get any smart replies).

Dot

just download tomtom app and put it on your iphone just the same as a normal tomtom satnav but better picture.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Do you mean to plug it into the cigarette lighter?
No, it's an external battery pack. You charge it up and then use it to charge other divices like phones, iPad etc

Kept my phone charged all week off a single charge

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use Copilot app on my iPhone and iPad, great because once you've down loaded maps it works off line. I only have free version, uk map free and pay for Europe and you can up grade to work as sat nav with voice direction I believe.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I use copilot and it works very well. I think the journey times are a bit optimistic but you can tailor the software to suit your driving speeds on different types of roads.
Any satnav app will make the phone run hot. If the phone is on a mount in the windscreen area it will get even hotter. The best solution is to make sure that the van blower is set to demist blowing air up over the phone to cool it.
A mate uses the TomTom app and loves it but you cannot set a motorhome preference in TomTom.

Cheers

David

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Waze - on my Android, presumably also on iOS.
Free. User updated maps. Navigation accounts for traffic conditions.
Seems to keep track even if GPS or connectivity drop temporarily.
Dislikes:
Data usage could be an issue, currently not. (Just checked, seems like it used only 20mb in last month, 30mb the month before, 10mb before that).

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I have had TomTom on my I phone for 2 years now and is a great tool, as it works offline as well, have been to France/Spain/Portugal/Germany/Sweden/Norway/Finland and done over 10,000mls on it and its never missed a beat, great tool, have had my old tomtom with me as back up but never had to use it, so for me TOMTOM all the time. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Dot
Try this one free basic with paid for add ons many countries available
Used it on iPhone and I pad to go to and from clacton
Was better than my old sat nav link below

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ipad-iphone-free-sat-nav.91844/

Think the I pad has to have a sim in it not sure though

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you buy the Tom Tom app on your iPhone you can then use it on an iPad as well.

Great tool, used it for years now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back