Navigator 8 _ Mapfactor (1 Viewer)

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
I've just bought the updated Navigator 8 software and I must admit I like it but -

Has anyone managed to download Aires or any other poi's ? I've all but given up having spent the last week trying to upload French Aires from Infocampingcar.

Also why is there two seperate systems, namely MapExplorer and PC Navigator ?
One is 3D and complicated to use. The other is 2D and easier to use. (My wife asked the latter question and I couldn't answer in the detailed way she requires, she seems less impressed with me than she was on Saturday)

I kept Navigator 4 so have two programmes, just bought a second gps unit so two working and this week will be buying another laptop. So if anything fails we should be ok !

Beginning to think I'll buy a Tom Tom as well.

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I've just bought the updated Navigator 8 software and I must admit I like it but -

Has anyone managed to download Aires or any other poi's ? I've all but given up having spent the last week trying to upload French Aires from Infocampingcar.

This could be a VERY long response! Let's cover adding POIs first.

Adding POIs is done through Map Explorer, It looks and feels quite similar to Navigator 4 but doesn't have the navigation option. The import can handle quite a few different formats, I'd recommend either XLS or CSV. You need to convert your data into a compatible format. If you need any help with that let me know, I can recommend some tools.
Ok, here we go.
Start Map Explorer.
I'd recommend closing all maps except GB by clicking File, Select Map.
Next start the import wizard by clicking File, Import Data.
Click on the Radio Button "Create new Import" and type a meaningful name in, e.g. Aires .
You'll now be asked for the driver type, choose the format you want and you'll be prompted for the file. You DO remember where you saved it don't you?
In the details it should show connected. Click Next.
In the source data columns Choose the correct ones for longitude and Latitude and then click Next
For the Icon click Browse Image. For the standard ones, Go up one folder level and then select POI. Choose the one that makes the most sense. Click Next.
On the additional Info I untick everything except table for source column 1. Click Next
Click Next to start the import and then click on Save Configuration and run import
Click close and you've got over your POIs added!
Close Map Explorer and restart PC Navigator.
Select the info Mode from the button on the bottom right. Click anywhere and you'll see the option Find nearest. This time choose "imported items" and you'll the name of your entered at the start. Click that for a list.

Phew!
It sounds complicated but it's designed to cope with data being updated on a regular basis.

Also why is there two seperate systems, namely MapExplorer and PC Navigator ?
One is 3D and complicated to use. The other is 2D and easier to use. (My wife asked the latter question and I couldn't answer in the detailed way she requires, she seems less impressed with me than she was on Saturday)

I kept Navigator 4 so have two programmes, just bought a second gps unit so two working and this week will be buying another laptop. So if anything fails we should be ok !

Beginning to think I'll buy a Tom Tom as well.
The program you'll use on a day to day basis is PC Navigator. When Navigator 6 came out we found our customers opinion were divided. Some prefer the Windows program approach used in Navigator 4 while the majority preferred the application style that's been in use ever since. This style makes sense when you realise it's designed for touch screens. Exactly the same interface is used no matter if it's running on a laptop, a touchscreen, a Windows mobile device such as a smartphone or the Airis dedicated satnav which runs Windows CE. It's very similar to a TomTom, Navman or Mio except it runs on a laptop!
We've been an authorised dealer for Mapfactor products for many years so I do know quite a lot about the product. It's too late for you I know, but I've posted in the past that we do offer a MHFun discount of 10%. At least I can offer you some support!

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
M

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
Doug ,
Many thanks for taking the time out to reply, much appreciated.

Late last night I gave it a couple of goes and nearly got there but I think I have an issue with converting the files.

Could you tell me which site/programme you use for converting to csv ? I don't have excel.

Thanks,
Mikel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Doug ,
Many thanks for taking the time out to reply, much appreciated.

Late last night I gave it a couple of goes and nearly got there but I think I have an issue with converting the files.

Could you tell me which site/programme you use for converting to csv ? I don't have excel.

Thanks,
Mikel

I'd recommend POIEdit.com and download the program. It takes a little of practice but it's well worth the time. You can manage your own POIs but download hundreds of thousands of others and see them plotted on Google maps. It will also convert POIs into a format suitable for Navigator as well. Just the other weekend I set a customer up with a POI set for supermarkets.

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
M

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
Doug,
Thanks again, managed to download the poi's to Navigator.

Hopefuly the next list I download shouldn't take so long, that is if I remember the steps !

Thanks.

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Don't know if it applies to Navigator 8 but in 7 I had to copy the folder containing the POI's from MapExplorer to Navigator otherwise nothing showed on Imported POI's in Navigator.

It's a shame the instructions aren't better in respect of POI's

:Smile:
Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Don't know if it applies to Navigator 8 but in 7 I had to copy the folder containing the POI's from MapExplorer to Navigator otherwise nothing showed on Imported POI's in Navigator.

It's a shame the instructions aren't better in respect of POI's

:Smile:
Keith

Hi Keith,
No, it doesn't apply to Nav 8. Personally I preferred the way it was in Nav 7. I had my current live settings in Navigator but could play around inside Map Explorer. Only when I was completely satisfied did I copy them over.
The documentation supplied with Navigator has always been very poor but it was our opportunity to differentiate ourselves from the competition. We wrote a number of papers (how to install a GPS, installing POIs, speed cameras etc) which we gave our customers. They're still available (but probably out of date now) on our website. At the shows I'd install the software, set up POIs and install upgrades delivering something known as customer service:ROFLMAO:
Eventually though we just couldn't compete with the internet only companies supplying goods for less than we could buy them for.:cry:

Regards
Doug

zebravink

Free Member
Sep 14, 2009
Funster No
What's the trick how to save journey's in Mapfactor?
Whenever I try to replay saved journeys, Mapfactor can't find the for example 'gps-090914'-file. What's the trick how to save and how/where to open?

Thanks for your reply.
gr.
Zebravink

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back