Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Not been over that way for a while so not so sure of available wild spots

Any funsters over that way that can suggest a few spots?

Coastal preferred but anything is a help

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not been over that way for a while so not so sure of available wild spots

Any funsters over that way that can suggest a few spots?

Coastal preferred but anything is a help

Well there's always Ayr itself! There's a disabled bay that's had considerable publicity recently. :LOL:

More seriously, about 400 yards south of the "Pavillion" and playground, there's a big sea front car park with no height barriers that is frequently used by motorhomers and no one seems to mind. The parking signs say that one shouldn't stay for more than 24 hours (so clearly overnight is okay) but I've seen many staying for longer.

South of Ayr on the coast, I think most of the parking is restricted. North I can't really comment on, just never looked at it with an overnight stop in mind.

Tim

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Well there's always Ayr itself! There's a disabled bay that's had considerable publicity recently. :LOL:

More seriously, about 400 yards south of the "Pavillion" and playground, there's a big sea front car park with no height barriers that is frequently used by motorhomers and no one seems to mind. The parking signs say that one shouldn't stay for more than 24 hours (so clearly overnight is okay) but I've seen many staying for longer.

South of Ayr on the coast, I think most of the parking is restricted. North I can't really comment on, just never looked at it with an overnight stop in mind.

Tim
Ha ha well funny you should say that but I was thinking of going to see if that old fella was still there .....I'd quite like to meet him just out of curiosity.

But thanks for the tip.on the car park it may be a possibility ......We will likely just be looking for a stop from say 7 ish evening till morning as planning to have a look around the area

I'd have headed over to Millport or even bute for the weekend had i been off Monday but for 2 days it's a bit far

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
From that car park you're in striking range of "The Chestnuts" hotel which does nice bar food and real ale. There's also an Indian restaurant at one end of the car park, the "Ayr India" which I'd like to recommend but as I got campylobacter poisoning last time I was there I can't quite bring myself to suggest it. ;-)

If you're wandering in to town, the Ayr Brewing Company (5 Racecourse road) are brewing some very fine beer just now. Their hoppy Hippopotamus ale (or something like that) is very tasty indeed.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I was intrigued by the meaning of the OP and then the first reply set me typing

When you asked for wild camping spots I thought you meant somewhere well off the beaten track

Using a car park is free camping surely, not really wild, unless maybe the car park was in forestry commission land

Do people who park in car parks close to amenities consider themselves to be wild camping?

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Tha
From that car park you're in striking range of "The Chestnuts" hotel which does nice bar food and real ale. There's also an Indian restaurant at one end of the car park, the "Ayr India" which I'd like to recommend but as I got campylobacter poisoning last time I was there I can't quite bring myself to suggest it. ;-)

If you're wandering in to town, the Ayr Brewing Company (5 Racecourse road) are brewing some very fine beer just now. Their hoppy Hippopotamus ale (or something like that) is very tasty indeed.
Ha ha I think Il give the Indian a miss then , food poisoning and mh toilets don't go well :)

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I was intrigued by the meaning of the OP and then the first reply set me typing

When you asked for wild camping spots I thought you meant somewhere well off the beaten track

Using a car park is free camping surely, not really wild, unless maybe the car park was in forestry commission land

Do people who park in car parks close to amenities consider themselves to be wild camping?
You'll notice I said the car park may be a possibility , I've not been in that area for a long time and as such im not sure where il end up ......hence the reason for the post

But if after spending the day around the area and the car park is my only option then I may use it as an overnight stop

Technically as many keep pointing out you can't go wildcamping in a motorhome to be honest you can't go camping in a motorhome either .....but it's a technical term used to say avoiding campsites like the plague :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ha ha well funny you should say that but I was thinking of going to see if that old fella was still there .....I'd quite like to meet him just out of curiosity.

But thanks for the tip.on the car park it may be a possibility ......We will likely just be looking for a stop from say 7 ish evening till morning as planning to have a look around the area
I'd have headed over to Millport or even bute for the weekend had i been off Monday but for 2 days it's a bit far
George we came over last night. Was less than £41 return with 2 adults, somehow managed to get a saver rate. There is a field here laid on for campers, great atmoshere last night. Water tap on site and toilets a couple of minutes walk. The downside is terrible or no internet til I remembered reading a post. Mifi now high up attached to flagpole and working a treat. I have internet so happy now, even the rain doesnt bother me.
Ps the ferry only takes 10 mins from Largs

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Further south at Girvan Harbour looking out over the Clyde, not camped here myself but there are frequently MHers here.

Further south again there is a large layby just past Lendlefoot, its off the road a bit; looking out toward Ailsa Craig.

Carry on down the A77 another big parking area at the hilltop of the new part of this road looks out towards Campbelltown, again off the road so could be peaceful.

Travel from Ayr towards Alloway out towards Butlins and then for the Carrick Hills for some quieter places....not sure about the roads with your big van though.

Further along at Dunure (a small fishing village) there is a layby high above , on road, but should be quiet.

Sunsets along this coastline are as good as anywhere in the world.

Hope this helps you and others. Happy camping. (y)(y)(y)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Applecross is wild and beautiful
The road in and out is single track with passing places up over the mountain for about 10 miles
1 pub so if you go load up with grub and water
If you want wild you won't regret it

A bit too far from Ayrshire methinks...:crying:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
George we came over last night. Was less than £41 return with 2 adults, somehow managed to get a saver rate. There is a field here laid on for campers, great atmoshere last night. Water tap on site and toilets a couple of minutes walk. The downside is terrible or no internet til I remembered reading a post. Mifi now high up attached to flagpole and working a treat. I have internet so happy now, even the rain doesnt bother me.
Ps the ferry only takes 10 mins from Largs
Howdy Partner.:party2::party2:

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Further south at Girvan Harbour looking out over the Clyde, not camped here myself but there are frequently MHers here.

Further south again there is a large layby just past Lendlefoot, its off the road a bit; looking out toward Ailsa Craig.

Carry on down the A77 another big parking area at the hilltop of the new part of this road looks out towards Campbelltown, again off the road so could be peaceful.

Travel from Ayr towards Alloway out towards Butlins and then for the Carrick Hills for some quieter places....not sure about the roads with your big van though.

Further along at Dunure (a small fishing village) there is a layby high above , on road, but should be quiet.

Sunsets along this coastline are as good as anywhere in the world.

Hope this helps you and others. Happy camping. (y)(y)(y)
Thanks we actually drove up through the Carrick hills , van coped well although we did encounter one head case driver on a tight bend which raised an eyebrow or two .....didn't stay there though we ended up heading further in to Dumfrieshire and in to the glentrool forest wild camped there on Friday night
14100948727330.jpg

We then drove up through the hills from monaive through cleuch-head and on to Mennock then cut up the b797 and wild camped up at Leadhills.
14100949073261.jpg

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Applecross is wild and beautiful
The road in and out is single track with passing places up over the mountain for about 10 miles
1 pub so if you go load up with grub and water
If you want wild you won't regret it
Aye I agree it's a beautiful place :)

This will be the road you mention bealach na ba ( pass of the cattle )
14079678300380.jpg

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Loch Doon makes a perfect spot for a stopover, its only 17 miles from Ayr but you could be in another world & as a bonus its located in the dark skies park with its very own observatory on the Cgraigengillen estate. There is a forest road which takes you over to Glentrool as mentioned earlier.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Off A77
55° 8'42.83"N 4°58'58.73"W overlooking Paddy's Milestone, theres sleepyspot all along this road,

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Just wrote a bit for JohnnyW about some sleepyspots in Argylshire, might come in handy for you as well,
Try Portavadie off Loch Fynne 55°52'38.67"N 5°18'48.35"W
or Nr Kames 55°52'50.15"N 5°13'51.36"W
or Glendaruel Caravan Park off the A886, used to live in Glendaruel and my brother, Gramps, still does, so if you stay at this campsite tell them Ray MacFarlane sent you.
on the A8003 big layby overlooking the Kyles of Bute, helped build that road.
and on the B8000 at Otter Ferry, theres a hotel that allows overnight parking right on the side of Loch Fynne, and theres good fishing to be had off the quay.
On Isle of Bute off A844 55°50'33.70"N 5° 7'36.90"W again right on the seaside with nice sandy beaches.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back