no power (2 Viewers)

S

steve&barb

Deleted User
hi just got back from a tour of france on the last day had to jump start the damn thing to get it going .on the way back lost power from both batteries doesnt seem to be charging .any ideas poss alternator ? cheers.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
hi just got back from a tour of france on the last day had to jump start the damn thing to get it going .on the way back lost power from both batteries doesnt seem to be charging .any ideas poss alternator ? cheers.

Hi steve&barb. It sure sounds like the Alternator. Been there. :Angry:

wildcamper

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
Hi,
Is your alternator light coming on? when you start up engine is it going out?
Ken.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
No Charge

Hi, May I suggest use a simple volt meter, and place the probes on the respective battery terminals + & - you should see a good battery give between 11.5 and 12.5 volts, if you start the engine and take it to around 1200rpm this should increase to 13.5 volts. If you then whilst having the voltmeter connected still, place a load on the system, say use the cab Air Con fan on max and the side/headlamps on, the reading may drop, however it should not drop below around 12.5 volts. Increase the revs to say 2500rpm and it should read between 12.5 & 14.7 volts. If it is below these figures the unit is not charging and suspect the alternator. However never just assume. With the engine stopped, check ALL the connections are clean and tight as you may get a resistance if not which will show in a lack of charge. If you feel it may be the alternator, I do think we have a unit in stock for a Chevy, but would need some more detail. The voltage check is the easy way, please do not just asume it is the alternator which is faulty. You may also want to check your battery levels for water, if they are dry it is a sign that your unit is overcharging, but again faulty batteries can also give you the same problems. Find the fault first before doing what so many garages do, just replacing parts at your expence. Kindest regards, Simon @ www.mercuryarv.com forgot to add, the warning lamp also on a lot of systems is part of the circuit, so ensure you have a warning light when you turn it on, if not the bulb may have blown, again check this and replace if required first before dipping into the pocket.

Last edited:

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Alternator

:Smile: It's a Ford Granduca

Hi, Try the other checks first, hate to think of you wasting money on parts you don't need. Failing that let me have the detail from the alternator and I will see what can be done. Don't forget to pay attention to the batterys as well. Kindest regards, Simon @ www.mercuryarv.com

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
Oi looking for a punchup:ROFLMAO:
Geo

I hardly think that worthy of much comment, except to say we had someone the other day who had been somewhere where they had a bill of around £250 for it being put on a diagnostics machine and other parts replaced, yet it was still the same, we replaced the plug lead for him and it cured the problem. Not all garages are the same, but the art of Automotive Engineering is diminishing, the era of fitters and technicians has arrived with most. The motor industry is quickly digging itself into an early grave. It is all very well having Diagnostic Equipment, but only if you know how to use it. If you take offence at that comment, sorry, but I have much experience of the motor trade and make my own comments with that experience.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I hardly think that worthy of much comment, except to say we had someone the other day who had been somewhere where they had a bill of around £250 for it being put on a diagnostics machine and other parts replaced, yet it was still the same, we replaced the plug lead for him and it cured the problem. Not all garages are the same, but the art of Automotive Engineering is diminishing, the era of fitters and technicians has arrived with most. The motor industry is quickly digging itself into an early grave. It is all very well having Diagnostic Equipment, but only if you know how to use it. If you take offence at that comment, sorry, but I have much experience of the motor trade and make my own comments with that experience.

Hi Simon

Knowing Geo as I do, he was jesting, nothing more - I am sure he too knows the good and bad in the motor industry only too well.....he's been in the game a long time and is one of the good guys :winky:

mercuryarv

Trader - RV Sales
Sep 9, 2007
Nr CANTERBURY, KENT
Funster No
MH
CLASS A
Exp
11 YEARS PERSONALLY
OK I have taken the point that we are supposed to know from someones name what they own. I thought this was a help section, but it appears I have it wrong, obviously it would seem it is simply to enter into arguments with people. Hardly constructive and worthwhile. I will leave you all to your own devices and taking the pee out of each other

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
OK I have taken the point that we are supposed to know from someones name what they own. I thought this was a help section, but it appears I have it wrong, obviously it would seem it is simply to enter into arguments with people. Hardly constructive and worthwhile. I will leave you all to your own devices and taking the pee out of each other

:Blush: Sorry Simon. This is a FUN forum. Sorry for taking the Mick. Won't do it again. Promise. Keep posting. We need experienced RV'ers knowledge. :winky:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years

:Eeek:

Simon.....come on mate dont spit out the dummy youve only just arrived :Blush:

You could do with lightening up a bit and getting into the swing of things on here. We are all really friendly and try to help each other out. Lets all have a group hug and be friends again??:Smile:

F

fordy

Deleted User
Hay you have to get used to the guys on here it don't take long ::bigsmile:they like to have fun all the time,:RollEyes: they don't get out much.:ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:

FORDY::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Oh Simon with respect were did it all go wrong
1. you made a very far reaching and broad statement re the ethics and skills of the Motor trade,do that on any forum and your going to get a reply for sure.
I believe i did it in the most harmless of ways applying humor to it in the form of a little fella rolling around the floor,
2.you replied with a somewhat pompass attitude suggesting again that the trade was lacking somewhat in its training this time,
I again replied with what I considered a fair remark as you had failed to obtain the vehicle details a very basic requirement, and you were fair game mate after those remarks,lets face it.
I will add for the benefit of the unknowing the Information you supplied is correct in every detail and the make or model was of no consequence in this instance,

My advise is don't ever assume you know more than the collective forum, you will be amazed at the knowledge base on here, a lot of us are skilled in many areas even if i see a wrong answer given, I would try and steer the information onto the right track, rather than challenge it directly.
We are all good chaps and chapasess on here and have no real intention of taking the Micky out of anyone,(not till we know you better anyway)
you have the opportunity to help many on here, and get free advertising to boot,
don't throw the baby out with the bath water, put it down to a learning curve come back with a reply and we will all have more respect for each other
Geo

OP
OP
S

steve&barb

Deleted User
ummmmm the alternator light comes on when you first start up then goes out after about 2 mins then the fridge light comes on :winky:

wildcamper

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
Hi,

Don't quote me but I don't think its your alternator, sounds more like a short or a relay, I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this would be able to help you:Smile:

Ken.

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Just a quick question.... Have you checked the tension on the fan belt? If it is loose then it may not be driving the alternator enough and thereby causing a low voltage into the batteries.
Are we talking about the engine or coach batteries here?
I see that you posted that the charge light went out after about 2 minutes..... This seems like a very long time to me, it should go out almost instantaneously when the motor is running?????
Please get back with this info and we can think further about it, but I do not think that the alternator is fried at this point ::bigsmile:

Keith

F

fordy

Deleted User
Just a quick question.... Have you checked the tension on the fan belt? If it is loose then it may not be driving the alternator enough and thereby causing a low voltage into the batteries.
Are we talking about the engine or coach batteries here?
I see that you posted that the charge light went out after about 2 minutes..... This seems like a very long time to me, it should go out almost instantaneously when the motor is running?????
Please get back with this info and we can think further about it, but I do not think that the alternator is fried at this point ::bigsmile:

Keith

Hi Keith (kands) i think its both as in the first post he needs to jump-start it ?
i think it need a meter put on it to see what power is coming out of the alternator or if there is a drain on the battery it may be a short and the fridge is draining it if its a 12v one??

FORDY:Smile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi,

Don't quote me but I don't think its your alternator, sounds more like a short or a relay, I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this would be able to help you:Smile:

Ken.

:Blush: The FIRST thing in fault finding is to find out as MUCH information about the problem/fault? Now we know that both batteries are going flat, the alternator light on the dash goes out after 2 minutes and the Fridge light comes on. It NOW perhaps could point to as wildcamper says, a relay problem or the alternator NOT charging enough and the Fridge is draining the batteries. Start by switching OFF the Fridge. Start the engine and rev it up to kick in the Alternator. Then check the voltage. If it less than 13? Then it is either BAD connections or a DUFF alternator. If it is more than 13? then it is not the connections or the alternator.
Then again. Someone else might have a better way of going about it? :winky:

OP
OP
S

steve&barb

Deleted User
cheers ken :Smile:

OP
OP
S

steve&barb