Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008. Owned since July 2013.
Hi folks,

We've been considering getting a dog recently. Never had one before. Seems like a silly question but how do you travel with it in a motorhome? We have two travel seats in the front, two in the back. Not sure where we'd put a dog. People put them in the "boots" in hatchback cars... where do they travel in motorhomes?

Thanks!
-Mark

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
You can buy a seat belt harness and have the dog sitting on the back seats, safely secured :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Ours lays in her bed on the floor between our seats. I keep her short lead on for any stops.

Long lead on a screw peg when we arrive.

OP
OP
M

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008. Owned since July 2013.
Thanks all, very useful.

We have a low-level bed with a door underneath it into the "boot", which we never use. I was thinking perhaps I could build a little enclosure into that - much like the "soft dog crates" but built in. Mesh fixed over the opening for travel.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Collapsing crates like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HERITAGE-...den_Kitchen_Toasters&var=&hash=item1c3930cca2

Much lighter than metal ones. Lots of different sizes.

To tether a dog outside use tethering lead ( metal covered in plastic) so they can't chew through it.
My 2 dogs and 2 cats full timed with me for almost 2 years--no problems at all.

Make sure dogs I'd disc has a mobile number on it so if he/ she does run off you can be contacted.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks all, very useful.

We have a low-level bed with a door underneath it into the "boot", which we never use. I was thinking perhaps I could build a little enclosure into that - much like the "soft dog crates" but built in. Mesh fixed over the opening for travel.
Personally I wouldn't travel with the dog in any sort of locker in case of accident. Rescuers wouldn't necessarily think to look for a pet in a locker.
I feel safer knowing mine are with me.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks all, very useful.

That's not the best idea. Unless it's a very big dog or a very small garage the dog won't be secure and will be bouncing all round the garage as you're driving. Quick way to injure the dog.

Ours travels on the floor between the cab seats in a harness with a seatbelt loop.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Beth travels on a bed made up under the dinette table. She's fastened to a harness that allows some movement but she can't cause a problem in the cab.
She's very useful when we call into a supermarket, then she's allowed on the driving seat to look like a guard dog.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
is like having children and putting them in borstal when you go on holiday

Now that's not a bad idea :LOL:

I think I can honestly say the dog has been away with us more than the 14 year old (y)

Reactions: kcy

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Personally I wouldn't travel with the dog in any sort of locker in case of accident. Rescuers wouldn't necessarily think to look for a pet in a locker.
I feel safer knowing mine are with me.

That's not the best idea. Unless it's a very big dog or a very small garage the dog won't be secure and will be bouncing all round the garage as you're driving. Quick way to injure the dog.

Ours travels on the floor between the cab seats in a harness with a seatbelt loop.

Totally agree. I have seen too many posts on Doglost where a dog has gone missing from a vehicle accident, because it wasn't secured safely in either a crate or a seat belt harness.

To be closed in a locker, with or without a mesh, isn't a very pleasant way of travelling for a dog. Ours like to see out of the windows ;)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
having a dog and putting them into a boarding kennel is like having children and putting them in borstal when you go on holiday. I don't personally see how you can do this if you love your dogs. just my opinion of course
Sometimes we have to put our dogs into kennels as an act of kindness. For example we are going to a country western festival this weekend and the noise of gunshots terrifies my dog. He will be much happier in kennels this weekend.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
having a dog and putting them into a boarding kennel is like having children and putting them in borstal when you go on holiday. I don't personally see how you can do this if you love your dogs. just my opinion of course
The dog loves going to the kennels

Reactions: kcy

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If you take your dog abroad it's a good idea to have a new ID disc with 0044 then your mobile no.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Hi folks,

We've been considering getting a dog recently. Never had one before. Seems like a silly question but how do you travel with it in a motorhome? We have two travel seats in the front, two in the back. Not sure where we'd put a dog. People put them in the "boots" in hatchback cars... where do they travel in motorhomes?

Thanks!
-Mark
I would imagine what dog you choose may be a the main concern, a large "bouncy" type may need restraining, a small placid type might be happy curled up in its bed, or like ours that sleeps on a cushion between the armrest and the passenger door.(y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my dog that had to be put down last year had travelled more abroad than lived in uk in its 14yr of life . well almost 15yrs . she left uk the dec before the passport scheme started . she loved travelling .

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi folks,

Thanks!
-Mark
I really want a dog, but difficult in the Army as you can imagine :)

Then a friend at work asked if I'd look after their lab. She's a gorgeous dog (the lab Tootles) and we get on really well having walked and played with her for some months while her mum went through a difficult pregnancy :)

I took her away in the motorhome and to be honest, it was at that point I knew for sure that now still wasn't the right time :)

Might be a daft question, but have you had a dog/dogs in the motorhome etc before? Maybe you should borrow a friends, or take a friend with a dog with you and see how it pans out and that way you'll have exactly the idea of what's involved etc :)

Just a thought :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

Might be a daft question, but have you had a dog/dogs in the motorhome etc before? Maybe you should borrow a friends, or take a friend with a dog with you and see how it pans out and that way you'll have exactly the idea of what's involved etc :)

Just a thought :)
Good idea. If you were nearer you could borrow mine. He loves the MH and associates it with freedom on the beach:)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Piccys of the said lab, she's a beauty :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

But make sure you don't fall for one this big!!!:)

image.jpg

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Thanks all, very useful.

That's what we have for our retrievers it has a window and they know its their place. Its worked great for three years now.

johnandsue

Free Member
Jun 25, 2011
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 640
Exp
Since 2012
Ours travel in its bed behind the front seats, they need to be either secured or some sort of panel needs to be in place to ensure they can't come into the front driving area

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a labrador and a Beagle. They travel lying down between the front seats. We don't put harnesses on them, they would strangle themselves in a few miles!

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Also with ours the bottom bunk at the back lifts up to make the garage and has slates so they can see us, not that they really care,that's a me thing.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have a labrador and a Beagle. They travel lying down between the front seats. We don't put harnesses on them, they would strangle themselves in a few miles!

The harnesses we use go around the dogs chest and back, nowhere near their necks. They couldn't strangle themselves if they tried.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The harness we used had a long ish lead that went from the seatbelt mounting to the actual harness... Its either long to allow movement and therefore can get tangled or is short preventing movement which he finds annoying. So.. He now lays on his bed on the floor between both front seats against the bulkhead. We made the decision not to use a harness. We do use one in the car though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back