Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Any experiences of the above, I've heard a few people say it's good, just trying to establish a wider picture as I head to Southern Europe for the winter.
Thanks in advance.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I don't think Croatia is any good for Winter sun, most sites close in October and the weather can be quite cold with snow. If it's warmth your looking for then head South, Spain, Southern Italy etc... If it's for skiing then there are many people on here that can give good advice. We are off to Croatia on Monday until the end of September.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We are off to Croatia on Monday until the end of September.
Hi Southampton, we are planning to go to Croatia from 4th September till end of October. Never been but many have said it is beautiful. They say WildCamping is frowned upon there but if the sites close then I suppose they can't complain. But we will see.
How about reporting back, perhaps on this thread how you get on. Usual things, wifi, fuel costs, language, friendly natives and so on.
We have no plans at all just head where the fancy takes us. Judy has a few places jotted down to visit and we enjoy Geo Cacheing which is a very good way of finding places you wouldn't normally go to.
Safe travelling.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, I will do that. This will be our 4th year visiting Croatia, but I will report any changes since it joined the EU last year. Hopefully prices haven't increased.

OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
I'll be watching your posts with interest. Sun is nice but just to see a bit more of the world will be good and remember here in Ireland it's wet and cold over the winter and sometimes in the summer too.

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
As has been mentioned having been there I would also not recommend Croatia as a winter destination. We also like Solvina if you head that way at some point. If you are looking for 'sun' and enjoying travelling look out for the Spain and Morocco threads on the forum.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We usually go to Morocco Jan to March and did 5 weeks in Italy last October November which was great but got a bit wet towards the end. So going to Croatia Sept - Oct hopefully before the weather changes too much but after most tourists with Kids have gone home for school.
It will be interesting how the EU has changed it if at all but good to stay in EuroZone to save currency charges and losses.
Really looking forward to the visit. Any Suggestions about wifi in Croatia presumably the ever present McD will be there, Italy was great with loads of public Hotspots except you had to have an Italian sim in the phone to identify yourself to them, so bought a two month sim from Voda for 20euros.
Steve

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Any Suggestions about wifi in Croatia presumably the ever present McD will be there, Italy was great with loads of public Hotspots except you had to have an Italian sim in the phone to identify yourself to them, so bought a two month sim from Voda for 20euros.
Steve

We used mostly restaurants / cafes for Wifi while in Croatia, loads of them - however, we were only there for a week. One was directly opposite the campsite, which proved very useful. :rolleyes:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Croatia, is stunning. Spent a month there in June. We were getting temperatures in the low 30's and on some days we had to seek shelter from the sun .We stayed in the Istria region. Novigrad, Rovinj, Pula Medulin riviara and the Island of Krk.
Make sure you have ACSI and visit before the high season as camp site prices can be very expensive.
We found the natives to be extremely freindly

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
I'm also on my way to croatia tickets booked 2/9 till 16/10 had thought about doing albania and greece as well but i think thats too much. I will visit dubrovnik and one or two of the islands as well. Still toying with route down, have to do luxemburg for the rolli baki and then i think germany austria and slovenia and via zagreb and then to the coast .

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Hi, we were in Croatia in July and the currency in use was the Kuna but most campsites accept euros as do the motorway tolls, we are heading back to Croatia via Albania, and Macedonia on our way back from Greece.

Jul 27, 2007
West Yorks occasionally
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2007
We are currently in Croatia, in the Pula region. Spent some time in Rovinj (a lovely city) and in Porec also.

People are very friendly, English spoken widely. Everything is very cheap, especially eating out. Credit cards not widely taken, but plenty of money-exchange places.

Re Wifi, we've bought a T Mobile data sim, around £12.50 for 2 Gbs.

You do need to search for LPG stations, but you can buy it for 45p per litre! Diesel just over £1.00 per litre.

Fabulous restaurants, lots of choice and stunning scenery. Not seen many Brit vans.

Already planning a return visit next year.

Pete and Di

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Hoping to be in istria on about 10th sept any recommendations for sites preferably edge of sea and near shops etc as wifes not good at walking too far

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If anybody travelling in Croatia happens to spot any Efke R100 127 film at a fair bit less than £10 a roll I'd be most interested to know where, especially if they have online ordering. Croatia's the only place where it's still made.

Broken Link Removed

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Just spent a month in Croatia, our first time there. Beautiful, friendly and cheap! Wifi on most campsites sometimes free but generally you pay about 40 -60 kuna for a few days!! Not many McDonald's, in fact don't think we saw one!
Fuel about £1 a litre and 4 of us could eat out for about £30!!!
If going to Dubrovnik I recommend camping Kate only about 25 euros a night for 4, very friendly small camp with a water taxi which cost about 24 e for return trip for 4! About an hour on the boat as various drop offs but well worth it to see the coastline. The camp will organise the tickets for you. Quite a steep walk down from camp to port, but not difficult unless you struggle with steps. Worth it when you get down as Mlini is lovely.i could go on..... Loved it, wish I was going again tomorrow! Have fun

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Always been a Grecophile.......................... until I went to Croatia earlier this year. Now I'm a Croataphile(?) Crotaphile(?) Croatiphole(?) Croationist(?) Croationaphileist(?)...................... whatever, I just loved it!
Take a look at Camping Bor at Krk. Walkable into the lovely town and marina but if your wife finds it difficult then taxis are very cheap. Enjoy - wish it was me going again.

Jul 27, 2007
West Yorks occasionally
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2007
Hoping to be in istria on about 10th sept any recommendations for sites preferably edge of sea and near shops etc as wifes not good at walking too far

Can highly recommend Camp Oliva (Camping Cheque) at Rabac, campsite is right on the edge of the sea, lots of restaurants and there is a 'train' that can take you from one end of the promenade to the other.

We spent a few days there, and really loved it. Now at Malinska on Krk Island, yet another beautiful coastal village and delightful campsite.

Pete and Di

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
We did UK to Crete via Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania earlier this year. No problems whatsoever apart from the state of some of the roads in Albania. Our journey took us 30 days and we bought insurance at the Montengro and Albania borders. We took the Ploce/Trbanj ferry operated by Jadrolina - great little journey.
Ploce Trbanj Ferry 8.JPG
Let me know what worries you and I'll try to help. I also have a spreadsheet which details our journey and associated costs. If you would like a copy of this then let me know what your email address is.
journey map.jpg

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
After spending 10 wonderful weeks in Turkey in 2013, we drove back via northern Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia and Slovenia.
On the route west, Albania and Montenegro were the clear highlights, but get inland as well as some coast.
The Croatian coast is pretty, but far too many tourists for us.
Yes, the roads are poor, but who's in a hurry?

Cheers,
Peter

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We eventually, after a three hour delay got off the tunnel in Calais to heavy rain, and I think it rained practically all the way to Slovenia, and then the sun came out. We arrived in Novigrad Croatia on the 14th August and stayed at Camping Lanterna for a week or so. It is a massive campsite with numerous restaurants but you have to be a mountain goat to get around the site, it is very hilly and not very easy to walk around, we didn't like it much so decided to drop in to our favourite site up the coast in Umag, where we currently are. A note on the route down, we went through Belgium, Germany, Austria and Slovenia. I have a Go Box for Austria and going via the Karawankentunnel Tunnel for a Tag axle Euro 5 engine one way costs 91 Euros, so not cheap, but apart from a couple of tolls in Slovenia that were about 30 Euros, overall I don't consider it over the top. We are at Camping Park Umag, which is a big site but separated into areas divided by large grass areas. Yesterday about 15 or 16 Brit registered Motorhomes came trundling in, and all pitched up together. I don't know what club they are yet but I will find out. The weather has been a bit iffy over the past week, warm, but quite wet at times with a couple of big Thunderstorms. Anyway my assessment from previous years is that the natives are still very friendly, the prices have gone up a little, but not much, and it is still my favourite place. We head back to Calais on the 28th for a train on the 30th.

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Am at camping bled just arrived couple hours ago lots of roadworks on way down via luxemburg .as to above a 3400 kg old motorhome through karawankentunnel was 11 euros 8 euros for 10 days in austria and 15 euros for a week in slovenia via vignettes. Also for those with a gas 2000 refillable system its the large dish adaptor and from red to full on motorway was just under 7 euros to fill up with autogas.
every body i've chatted to on way down are on their way to croatia hope there's room left for us.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
There is lots of empty pitches around Istria if that's where you are heading. There are a few arriving but lots more leaving. You will have no problem at all.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
We used to ACSI book to check which ones were open all year. Some of those that were open did not have the water turned on due to the possibility of it freezing, although this wasn't the case the further south you go.

Jul 27, 2007
West Yorks occasionally
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2007
We've been in Croatia since 14 August, and the last time we saw an English van was 29 July in Italy!

We are a complete novelty here on the Island of Krk - the staff in restaurants and shops assume we're German, but once we put them right, they're delighted to speak to us, in excellent English.

We're currently in Baska - the most Southern tip of the Island- and at a campsite on the beach, yet another beautiful place (Camp Pila - ACSI), heading off tomorrow to Njvice, north of the Island, before heading to the main land and Lake Bled for a few days.

Can only reiterate other posts about how lovely Croatia is, and how welcome we've been made - already planning a return visit next year.

Pete and Di

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
keep going paul.you are making us green with envy.we hope all is well with liz.all the best.the butlers.

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Am now in Krk first good weather for several days lots of vans heading north mostly german am seeing more brits arriving. tolls etc in croatia can be paid in either kuna or euros the change is usually kuna. roads could be better but on non motorway roads the speed limits are 80km and most people stick to them.Van starting to fall apart toilet won't flush and fridge not working on 240 volt. thank god for dave newell putting in a gas 2000 refil gas system. thanks dave according to wife shop prices are good value.
am aiming to head towards zadar and split on monday. I hope these little blogs are of use to some people. Oh yes just passed the 1200 mile mark.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
ok paul I will send andy, will you pay for his plane ticket. ha ha. have you blown any fuses, because that's the first thing he going to ask.well keep on having fun. all the best.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back