Truckers/Coach Sat Nav (1 Viewer)

texastaffy

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Anyone any experience of this Link Removed Serias Snooper Sat Nav. A bit pricy but looks like it could have the sort of options usefull to RV's?

Eric

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
hi Eric
been looking at this too . Your right it is on the expensive side what worried me was that it seemed rather limited on western europe mapping i think there is no truck sizing in spain and portugal at present be interesting if you find out different
palaceboy

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Not had any experience of the one you are looking at. Maplins have a sat nav for £199 that is designed for bigger vehicles called Pro Nav as far as I can recall. You put in your length, width, height and other things like the type of load you afre carrying. We are thinking of buying it at some stage.
Lin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Would be very interested - our tomtom is fine for the car but wouldn't trust the rv on it. Hopefully they'll soon come up with a download for bigger vehicles, or have they?
Jan

OP
OP
T

texastaffy

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Here's another of thier products that says it does all of europe, low bridges and all, see the map. It would be nice to find someone that's used one of these?

Eric

OP
OP
T

texastaffy

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
sorry forgot the link Link Removed

Eric

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
ProNav HGV SatNav

Hi to all - and from this message please do not think that I am advertising - but accept that I am passing on a genuine warning :thumb:

As the Author of the Big Pitch Guide I have been talking direct to the software producers of ProNav - (currently on sale from Maplin Electronics at £150 - reduced from £199) with a view to producing the BPG as a Points of Interest program on their HGV satnav. I am firmly in favour of their program and consider it a good way forward for the Big Pitch Guide.

Some of you have said that you might be interested in buying the ProNav for use in their RV - well, my advice currently is DON'T - for a couple of reasons but primarily because there is a brand new edition coming out in the next month or so, just as soon as they sort out the distribution, dealership and marketing etc., etc., etc.

Don Madge has already discovered that (according to some stockists) the original model was lacking in 'build' quality - and the coverage for anything other than HGV was a bit sparce. When I spoke to the software engineers, they did say that the software was geared to the high density HGV routes rather than the lesser used car routes! Only natural really being as the software was designed specifically for HGV - but it seems that some drivers wanted to use the ProNav in their cars as well - tried it and found it was not as good as TomTom, for example.

Give it a couple of months for the new one to come out and be de-bugged - then consider it - BUT remember, it is designed for use by HGV or Coaches, not necessarily cars and might not come up to your 'car' expectations. :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

texastaffy

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Thanks for the insite Dick, I have used tomtom for a long time now & just looking for something a bit more RV coach orientated.

Eric

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
Hi to all - and from this message please do not think that I am advertising - but accept that I am passing on a genuine warning :thumb:

As the Author of the Big Pitch Guide I have been talking direct to the software producers of ProNav - (currently on sale from Maplin Electronics at £150 - reduced from £199) with a view to producing the BPG as a Points of Interest program on their HGV satnav. I am firmly in favour of their program and consider it a good way forward for the Big Pitch Guide.

Some of you have said that you might be interested in buying the ProNav for use in their RV - well, my advice currently is DON'T - for a couple of reasons but primarily because there is a brand new edition coming out in the next month or so, just as soon as they sort out the distribution, dealership and marketing etc., etc., etc.

Don Madge has already discovered that (according to some stockists) the original model was lacking in 'build' quality Hi. We purchased one of these for our Scania 44 ton low loader & returned it to Maplins not fit for purpose. even with the vehicles weight & dimensions programed in it still tryed to route you through weight limits & unsuitable roads luckily never found out if it was any better on bridge heights, allso the sound quality was terrible. Rgards Tink

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Directions Ltd have a dedicated Truck SATNAV Directions Ltd. - Sat Nav

as well as software for trucks: Directions Ltd. - PC Navigator 8 Truck - Europe

some one on here from Action Replay tested the software with their RV successfully if I recall.

I have PC Navigator 7 on an ASUS that can be switched to 'Truck' mode. This has been updated to PC Navigator 8 but I don't know whether it has retained that feature.
Directions Ltd. - PC Navigator 8 - Europe

Map coverage is remarkable - have had no trouble planning routes across Europe to Turkey and has data on Asian Turkey as well.

:Smile:
Keith

Last edited:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Directions Ltd have a dedicated Truck SATNAV Directions Ltd. - Sat Nav

as well as software for trucks: Directions Ltd. - PC Navigator 8 Truck - Europe

some one on here from Action Replay tested the software with their RV successfully if I recall.

I have PC Navigator 7 on an ASUS that can be switched to 'Truck' mode. This has been updated to PC Navigator 8 but I don't know whether it has retained that feature.
Directions Ltd. - PC Navigator 8 - Europe

Map coverage is remarkable - have had no trouble planning routes across Europe to Turkey and has data on Asian Turkey as well.

:Smile:
Keith

Hi Keith,
Barbara and I tested Nav 8 Truck Version quite extensively and found it a big improvement over previous systems. It still wasn't perfect and occasionally took shortcuts that I wouldn't have chosen myself even though they were still suitable for a RV.
Nav 7 truck mode simply modified the routing to prefer major roads. The standard edition of Nav 8 does it the same way. To get the additional features you need to upgrade to the Truck edition.
We're gradually running Action Replay down but we're still dealers for the Navigator products and can offer a 10% of the list prices.

Regards
Doug

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Warning

Don't waste your money.

The ProNav does not work.

I had one and tried it for a few days and it does not work, it is no better than my £99 basic satnav. I bought it through Amazon but they would'nt give a refund I had to go to the supplier who did eventually give me a full refund.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
As an LGV Driver I use this one on my Tom Tom HGVSOLUTIONS.COM -Leader in HGV Sat-nav add-ons it is a good bit of kit but you still have to plan your route on a map. The Sat Nav will give you a route to take but it is probably the long route you still have to input information to get round the bridges. No Sat Nav will get you around a route without driver intervention so DO NOT rely on SAT NAV in any form look at the route and check your maps the AA produce the HGV drivers map for Truckers which has all the low bridges on for the british isles but I have yet to find one for europe.

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
As an LGV Driver I use this one on my Tom Tom HGVSOLUTIONS.COM -Leader in HGV Sat-nav add-ons it is a good bit of kit but you still have to plan your route on a map. The Sat Nav will give you a route to take but it is probably the long route you still have to input information to get round the bridges. No Sat Nav will get you around a route without driver intervention so DO NOT rely on SAT NAV in any form look at the route and check your maps the AA produce the HGV drivers map for Truckers which has all the low bridges on for the british isles but I have yet to find one for europe.

One other piece of advice. It might not be too much of a problem for trucks but the AA Truckers roadmaps only covers A roads. So beware if you head off into the wild unknown!

Regards
Doug

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back