LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If anyboby is considering mobile internet usage whilst in most of Europe may we suggest the 3 Data sim bought from Motorhome WiFi or other suppliers. We are now entering our third month of use having topped up on two occasions without any fuss. The sim which is installed in my smartphone provides a good connection at present in France and believe me we tether Andriod tablets sometimes two at a time using the Smartphone as a hotspot.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Real France, bit too south to visit, near Gap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds good, have you tried or have any experience of the Huawei myfi device?
We have iPhones so the SIM card is smaller than Android devices.
Ta

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
For some reason our huaweii mifi doesnt work as well in France with our 3 data sim as using a phone as a hotspot. It could just be the signal have bought an external antenna but not tried it yet. You can get a 3 nanosim at currys £7.99.

David

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Haven't tried any devices you are asking about.However 3 data sim cards like most others if not all, are available in all sizes, check the Tech/Spec on line, you should find what you are looking for.Motorhome WiFi (funster) should be able to help you.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Bought a 3 SIM for £10 as a backup. I is the 3.2.1 which is 3p for calls , 2p per text and 1p per MB .

The sim is very small but is supplied with 2 adapters so all sizes covered.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Bought a 3 SIM for £10 as a backup. I is the 3.2.1 which is 3p for calls , 2p per text and 1p per MB .

The sim is very small but is supplied with 2 adapters so all sizes covered.

that sounds good as a back up. Can you use it in spain/Portugal and where do you buy it from please?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I got mine in a 3 shop. I would not use it in Spain or Portugal as it they are not yet on the Feel at Home list of countries. The data in Spain is currently 19.8p per MB. I would anticipate that the 2 countries and others will be added in the near future but don't know when. Should work in france ok if I need it later this month at the same rates as here.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It appears that 3 Mobile Internet are ahead of the rest (My opinion) for me its worked fine in the countries that are on The Feel like home scheme. In time other service providers will be offering the same or SIMilar packages if they want there share of the market, when roaming charges are finally ended offers will without doubt be unlimited. However currently Spain and Portugal are not part of these schemes.

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
I got mine in a 3 shop. I would not use it in Spain or Portugal as it they are not yet on the Feel at Home list of countries. The data in Spain is currently 19.8p per MB. I would anticipate that the 2 countries and others will be added in the near future but don't know when. Should work in france ok if I need it later this month at the same rates as here.

But you could use this in Portugal and Spain.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
At 19.8ppMB ( ie £198 per Gb) I don't think so. You can if you like. I am sure I could get a local sim tht would be cheaper.

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
At 19.8ppMB ( ie £198 per Gb) I don't think so. You can if you like. I am sure I could get a local sim tht would be cheaper.

You were meant to click on "this". :)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi
That is a Globalgig Sim, not a 3 sim, which uses the 3 network. It is a rolling contract which costs £20 for the sim and £15 per month. It also only gives you 1/2 a GB in France and other countries. So it is a minimum of £35 for the first months useage and only potentially a better bet if you need it abroad on a permanent basis.

My purchase was a backup for my phone should I need it.

Sorry had not noticed the This as it did not show up very well.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Been travelling in the US for a few days with a couple of contract three phone's using them just like home. Great experience not switched them off, even using them as google map sat nav.

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
Hi
That is a Globalgig Sim, not a 3 sim, which uses the 3 network. It is a rolling contract which costs £20 for the sim and £15 per month. It also only gives you 1/2 a GB in France and other countries. So it is a minimum of £35 for the first months useage and only potentially a better bet if you need it abroad on a permanent basis.

My purchase was a backup for my phone should I need it.

Sorry had not noticed the This as it did not show up very well.

You also didn't read it properly. The £19.99 for the sim includes the first month's data, whatever plan you select. If you only want one month, you can cancel.

And in Portugal & Spain, which was what Trishandterry asked about, you get the full quota, depending on the plan you select. For example, 5GB for £15.99 in the second month.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
The 3 card I mentioned is for a phone and does as i had indicated 3p Calls, 2p Texts and 1ppMB Data. The card you suggest is Data only. They asked about Spain and Portugal and I said I would not use it there drawing attention to the cost of Data. If they want Data only there then the card you suggest is a possibility.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Don't forget that the PAYG sim (3,2,1 ?) from 3 will not allow you to tether other devices to your phone.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Stevec

Don't forget that the PAYG sim (3,2,1 ?) from 3 will not allow you to tether other devices to your phone.

I am aware that the terms say that Tethering is not allowed as I get the impression is the case on many Phone Sims. It is a way to get you to buy Data Sims. I bought it as a backup so I have a means to communicate by Phone Text or Internet if I need to.

Some have suggested that they have been able to Tether to their phones without problems others have said they have been blocked.

The thought that I have, but have no technical knowledge to back it, is that maybe the providers can tell if tethering is taking place if it is for example a Laptop or a Mac on an Android phone etc but what about if you have an Android Tablet Tethered to an Android phone.

Who knows for certain.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Hi Stevec

I am aware that the terms say that Tethering is not allowed as I get the impression is the case on many Phone Sims. It is a way to get you to buy Data Sims. I bought it as a backup so I have a means to communicate by Phone Text or Internet if I need to.

Some have suggested that they have been able to Tether to their phones without problems others have said they have been blocked.

The thought that I have, but have no technical knowledge to back it, is that maybe the providers can tell if tethering is taking place if it is for example a Laptop or a Mac on an Android phone etc but what about if you have an Android Tablet Tethered to an Android phone.

Who knows for certain.

Don't most mobile phones have the ability to setup a mobile hotspot, which would negate the need for tethering?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Don't know about most phones but interestingly if you look up 02's definition of tethering it is the connection of a phone to another item by USB, Bluetooth or WIFI for the purpose of using the Phones Internet Data.

That seems to cover using the Hotspot facility.

Assume it depends on your provider and their ability to detect the Tethering.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't most mobile phones have the ability to setup a mobile hotspot, which would negate the need for tethering?
That's the same thing, I couldn't get it to work last time we were there, trying again tomorrow but only wanted to do the same thing on my ipad as on my phone but it wouldn't work , just seized up straight away , calluma said there was a work around but I couldn't get it to work

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back