Andy McWebby

Free Member
Sep 1, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are planning to go to Spain for October and Nov, and advice on how to find campsites still open in France en route and is it necessary to book Spain in advance or just turn up? We would rather have the flexibility of booking when we get there as we like to move around. We are newbies to motorhomes this year!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I know you have asked for campsites but the aires network is fine, october will be a bit chilly so you may not want to hang around to much anyway. So they are ideal for single night stops while on route.
Some sites may be busy as "over wintering" is getting more and more popular but cant see any issues with just turning up.. I always did that and only ever failed once but I think is was because we only wanted 1 night..
Makes sense to move about and try a few spots...

GO FOR IT.. !!!!!

This may help... still work in progress but give you some ideas..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnr5ij7rv42hzrn/Camper route and stops.txt

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

Andy McWebby

Free Member
Sep 1, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Tonka this is most helpful. We have the aires book too, I'm hoping Spain will still be quite warm, we are planning to head for Cambrills area not far from Barcelona

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Try "camperstop" I consider one the best aires book covering all of Europe
colyboy

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Marboue, yes.... Have I spelt it wrong.. ?? Would be about right for me..
If your going costa dorada then that may not be the best route....

Cambrills area is getting end of season,, We did lots of Octobers down there at camping La Siesta in Salou and taking Grandkids to Portadventura etc... Sites do start to close.... Further south is better....

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks Tonka this is most helpful. We have the aires book too, I'm hoping Spain will still be quite warm, we are planning to head for Cambrills area not far from Barcelona
You should have no problem getting into Cambrills Playa site as it's too far North for most winter campers but okay for October and maybe November.
If you prefer to use sites then there are some open but you have to do a bit of searching to find them. We will be travelling through France in November and usually stay at Camping Acacia at Tours. Have a look at the Camping Club Winter brochure which has details of some en route sites or the ACSI book.

Mike

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
\we all have our favourites ours is the Almeria area. further south its warmer and drier but often a little windy

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Last year we toured around Spain/Portugal from early September to late November.

We stayed in Altea, just outside Benidorm.

On bonfire night it was 34C in the afternoon.

They were still swimming in the sea.

It was lovely. (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I know you have asked for campsites but the aires network is fine, october will be a bit chilly so you may not want to hang around to much anyway. So they are ideal for single night stops while on route.
Some sites may be busy as "over wintering" is getting more and more popular but cant see any issues with just turning up.. I always did that and only ever failed once but I think is was because we only wanted 1 night..
Makes sense to move about and try a few spots...

GO FOR IT.. !!!!!

This may help... still work in progress but give you some ideas..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnr5ij7rv42hzrn/Camper route and stops.txt

Excellent resource there tonka, many thanks!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Were off later this month back in April. Slow or fast through France using Aires then Capbreton. Over the border then possibly down the Ebro Valley. Normally we just head over the high plains to Valencia then down the coast as far as we wish then turn round and back again by whatever route we decide. No formal plans.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Most of the best pitches are pre-booked by long termers on the popular sites but never yet booked a pitch in advance when touring around Spain .

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
You're always welcome at PV, where we are always open, hardstandings (no muddy pitches here), and a Funster discount! As Mike D said above, you will be very welcome.
Bob
www,parcverger.com

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Last year we toured around Spain/Portugal from early September to late November.

It was lovely. (y)

We are fancying Altea, which site did you use and what did you think of the site?

Ginny

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Camping Cap Blanch - http://www.camping-capblanch.com/

Well placed for the new town, port etc. Plenty of bars and restaurants near by. Old town is on a hill a kilometer as so along the beach. More Spanish than tourist area. Beach is a mixture of sand and gravel.

Electric's slightly dodgy - our 2012 van electronic systems did not like the voltage variations. Mostly Non- British site and really just a huge area of gravel with lots of trees.

Loo's clean but sewage system overflows if they leave it a bit long till they pump out the tank.

Lots of over-winterers when we were there but very friendly and often invited us to join in.

There is another site a little nearer the old town but that appears to be just a slab of concrete and looked to be used only in the winter months. Its on the beach road but you can't see it on google earth unless you go on street view.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.5...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMNzICLr7IIUrRE1mLeqhVg!2e0

We would visit Cap Blanch again (y)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
French Aires are perfect for your travels en route to your final destination Spain. South of Valencia provides the better sunshine hours for winter visitors, the milder climate is a great draw for the visiting motorhomers from all over, but mainly northern Europeans. Do not discount the use of Spanish Aires/Camperstops for nightly or longer stays, many have most of the facilities of a full campsite at a greatly reduced price. And finally ACSI card would in most cases be an advantage to yourself. PM me if you need any more info, we reside in Spain in Murcia.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
We like Cap Blanch for overwintering, can get full but ask to park on the car park, then just wait patiently for a pitch to come vacant, check with the office every morning when people are most likely to be booking out. We like being able to walk to the many cafes, bars etc, it is a place that does not close down for the winter, and very mulitnational. Look out for our smiley and introduce yourself.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008

It was lovely. (y)
Sorry but your post surprised me with the temps quoted so i checked . The highest recorded temp for nov in Benidorm is 30c the averages for Nov being high 20c low 11c average 15c which is what i would expect in Spain , getting a few degrees warmer as you go further south . No doubt it was a nice day but to expect those temps on a regular basis is unrealistic . we have been wintering for the last 6 years and found shorts and t shirts are ok for daytime but it often gets bl**dy cold when the sun goes down

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Does anybody know where I can get my temperature guage re-calibrated? :rolleyes:

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back