Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Can anyone shed information on this white round thing with the perforated mesh in the middle - is it just a breather/vent ? its only as big as a 10p piece - i am looking for a way to feed a cable (twin and earth) from this part of the van (near the rear) under and along towards the cab and back up, don't want to be blocking anything important off but don't fancy drilling any holes (n)
P1050136.JPG

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's a gas 'drop vent' to allow gas to escape .. it has a grill to prevent rodents getting in.. you could use it for a cable provided it doesn't block it completely.

Important.. don't use twin and earth.. use a 3 core sheathed flexible cable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
To be honest though I'd drill another hole next to existing ones for the cable and leave the vent as it is ......Their there for a reason

lynnian

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Ace Genova
Exp
Since 2008
Don't use the solid twin and earth (the flat domestic cable) it needs to be flexible use something like your hook up cable or smaller depends on the load you will be feeding. The solid will snap when flexed and it does not conform to the electrical regs!
Ian

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Depends what you're connecting this cable to. Domestic electrical accessories are designed for T&E, solid conductor, cable and don't handle flexible cable very well. Have a look at a connection unit. The supply cable terminals are different to the load terminals. The former are designed for solid conductor cables and the latter flexibles.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Depends what you're connecting this cable to.

Not according to the Caravan Installations regs.. there is no 'depends' on anything

6. - All circuits must be provided with a protective conductor. All sockets are to be three pin with earthed contact and must have no accessible conductive parts. If two or more systems at different voltages are in use, the plugs of the differing systems must not be interchangeable. ELV sources must be 12 V, 24 V or 48 V when dc, or 12 V, 24 V, 42 V or 48 V when ac. Such ELV sockets must have their voltage clearly marked. Wiring may be flexible or with at least seven strands in non-metallic conduit (wiring systems which will allow fire to spread along them must not be used) or sheathed flexible cables, with the smallest conductor being 1.5 mm2 in cross-sectional area. Where 240 V and extra-low voltage circuits (usually 12 V) are both used, the cables of the two systems must be run separately and must both be insulated for 240 V. Since the wiring will be subjected to vibration when the caravan is moved, great care must be taken to ensure that bushes or grommets are used where it passes through metalwork.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.9.2.htm

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Not according to the Caravan Installations regs.. there is no 'depends' on anything

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.9.2.htm

I wasn't referring to the cable type, but seeing as you mention it, 2.5 sq mm is available in a 7 strand formation which, it appears, would fully comply with the CI Regs. Also, if you read the Reg, flexible appears to be an alternative cable type to stranded.

The comment I made concerned what the cable would be terminated in. The type of cable to be used (stranded or bunched flexible) 'depends' on this.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As I understand the regs.. you can either use

sheathed flexible cable, or stranded cable run in non metallic conduit..

Twin and earth should not be used..

Wiring may be flexible or with at least seven strands in non-metallic conduit

or sheathed flexible cables

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Its already done, just finished the job, the cable that was connected to the 240v sockets (original from new) is the same that i have used, i have just tapped into the original socket using 3 core flexi cable (like the hook up cable) and added another 240v socket at the opposite end of the van (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back