Overnight stays in the UK. (1 Viewer)

baconsdozen

Free Member
Oct 24, 2008
Funster No
First of all,Hello!
I do most of my wandering around the South of the UK and a lot of towns in that area are becoming very anti motorhome. Some have banned motorhomes entirely and I have today started a petition to the goverment to ask that councils be made to provide areas where motorhomes can stay overnight without harassment.The link to it is here.Link Removed
Please sign it,thanks.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Signed up, but various petitions/campaigns like this never seem to come to much. There was one just asking for parking places to be made available (just for daytime use) but this didn't seem to get anywhere.

Maybve we should start some mass overnight stopovers i.e. loads of us turn up at the same time at some place:RollEyes:.:RollEyes:, or do like the lorry drivers & create a moving roadblock in some towns which are motorhome unfriendly by putting height barriers on all the car parks. It always seem to be the case that you have to take extreme measures to get your case heard, just asking nicely just gets a polite no.:Angry::Blush:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'll sign, but what good it will do I am not sure. Its probably got much to do with their fear of itinerants.

Over the years we have been oh so politically correct and wet in our dealings with thieves and low life in the "travelling community" They now have "rights" that you and I do not. It can cost tens of thousands to get them to move on and then clean up after them.

Most councils think that to remove barriers and by-laws will encourage occupation by the aforementioned scum bags, and they are probably right.

Its the law abiding majority that suffers, so nothing new there then:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As mentioned above, not sure whether the petition would be successful. The trouble with petitioning the PM regarding functions which are the responsibility of local authorities is that it gives him a get-out straight away.

Having said that, positive approaches to individual local authorities can and do sometimes work. At the moment I'm awaiting the go-ahead to publicise a new overnight facility in the north of England.

Also, see my posts on Link Removed which highlight a (daytime) success and point to templates for contacting councils.

Graham

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I know that Graham has been very pro-active in trying to get stopovers which we should all be grateful for. Maybe we should try to make a joint effort rather than every small group trying on it's own. Not sure how this could be done but if all the motorhoming community worked together regardless of clubs, forums or websites we belong to as this is something that would benefit us all. It would mean we would need an absolute definition of what is required from a stop over, how long you can stay, what the limits or restrictions are etc. One of the problems with the local authourities getting differing requests just clouds the issue i.e. some people want just parking for the day whilst others are expecting them to go the whole hog & set up aires / stellplatz type places with all facilities. I think we need a realistic approach & try to focus on getting at least a couple of these places up & running then using them as examples to other councils.

OP
OP
baconsdozen

baconsdozen

Free Member
Oct 24, 2008
Funster No
Hello again,thanks for the replies.Even I'm not sure a petition is the best way to go,but we have to do what we can.
Sometimes my poor old transit is as glad of a rest as I am after trundling about the countryside !.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I know that Graham has been very pro-active in trying to get stopovers which we should all be grateful for. Maybe we should try to make a joint effort rather than every small group trying on it's own. Not sure how this could be done but if all the motorhoming community worked together regardless of clubs, forums or websites we belong to as this is something that would benefit us all. It would mean we would need an absolute definition of what is required from a stop over, how long you can stay, what the limits or restrictions are etc. One of the problems with the local authourities getting differing requests just clouds the issue i.e. some people want just parking for the day whilst others are expecting them to go the whole hog & set up aires / stellplatz type places with all facilities. I think we need a realistic approach & try to focus on getting at least a couple of these places up & running then using them as examples to other councils.
Quite correct that different people have different requirements. My own web site is primarily aimed at daytime parking, though I do record overnight facilities where I learn of legal ones - listed Here.

The listed places could be used as examples to other authorities but I would suggest that a focus for people wishing to get together as a joint effort would be the Motor Caravanners Club. I'm not a member myself but have been in touch with the Director, who has taken a lead in the Club's "Motorhome Stopovers" Project. The Club has a number of things underway (including a promotional video on DVD) which will save people re-inventing the wheel.

Graham

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
When I am down in the South East I enjoy the Ashdown Forrest. Lots of little secluded car park in the shrubs and hidden from the road. Another is the Lay bye on the A21(m).

Happy touring.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I am down in the South East I enjoy the Ashdown Forrest. Lots of little secluded car park in the shrubs and hidden from the road. Another is the Lay bye on the A21(m).

Happy touring.

A Lay-by may be OK but the problem with the forest is that if too many people do it there is a risk of motorhomes being banned from the forest altogether.

The laws which govern the forest prohibit vehicles from being parked on the forest after midnight and prohibit camping of any sort due to the problems of fire and litter.

Graham

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Have signed, but like many others I do not hold out a lot of hope. Even where councils, like N Dorset, are not actually anti-MH, they have been forced to take action to protect areas/car parks that would otherwise be suitable because of past invasions by those who couldn't give a stuff about the damage, inconvenvience or cost of their inconsiderate activities. Currently it seems the law can't touch them, and we as Council Tax payers are paying the price at the same time as losing the facilities. Grrrrrrrrrr.:Angry::Angry:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Parking Overnight

Hi

Off-topic (a bit) when we where in NEW YORK we stayed on 3rd ave (I think), just up from a synagogue and Parked outside for the full 4 days we where there was a 30+ft Winnebago!. and someone was using it!! . The biggest problem with Laybyes over here, Is beating the Truckers for space!!, By 6pm vitually ALL the ones on the A1 (north or south) are full. Most of the "Non UK" drivers will not pay for Truckstops. but the "ladies of the night" do well!!!.(allegedly!!)

Ahh well I`l just go off and sign another pettion to Gordon, but he did now`t about the last one (motorhomes in londons LEZ zone) So I won`t be using Crsytal Palace CC site again any time soon!

pete

JRing

Free Member
Jan 24, 2008
Falkirk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 years
Parking overnight

Hi

You could join the motorhome stopover Welcome to The Motorhome Stopover
I was a member of The Motor Caravanners' Club, got fed up with the internal arguments :Sad: So I have joined The Motorhome Club instead they are more friendly. Welcome

I have signed the petition.

Jring

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back