Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
I took delivery of my pre-loved 2002 van last year. I was shown how everything worked and given a really good introduction to everything about the van by the Dealer who sold it to me. Having said all that I never took a look at the tool kit that came with the van or checked the spare wheel or how it was housed and access to it.

I unrolled the tool kit the other day, not for the first time I have to say. I removed the Jack to check it over and noticed it is a Fiat jack not a Peugeot jack as I would have expected. Now here is the question.

Will a Fiat Jack fit my Peugeot van or have I got to get an replacement? Do you think after close to Eighteen months the Dealer will consider sorting out for me?

Just call me Stupid !!!!! If you want to........

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Try it & see! Will the dealer sort it? Doubt it after 18 months. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Sorry I can't help but you have made me think, I too checked the toolkit but did not check it is right for the van. Will have a look later. Thank you, and good luck

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I suspect that the Fiat and Peugeot jacks are the same, and if the one you have is a scissor jack type I suggest you bin it and get a good hydrolic bottle jack with good weight capacity.

I for one would not go near my van jacked up on the one supplied by Fiat.

John

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not sure how big your MH is, but whatever jack we have or have not got, if we need to change a wheel I am having it done

hopefully covered by the RAC, but if not I am paying to watch someone else do it

I am slightly embarrassed to admit I don't even know if I carry a jack, I do know we have a spare wheel though, and it is inflated

(y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
No questions are stupid, if you are not sure ask, that's what it's all about and it often as here gives other people to check out the same thing on their vans.

For us it would be a RAC job though.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I thought Fiat and Peugeot came out of the same factory, so same jack?
We also wouldn't change it ourselves. We'd get breakdown to do it. Why pay for cover then do it yourself?
Especially when your old and creaky yourself.
Speaking for ourselves, not anyone on here.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
My advice for what it is worth. Do not even try to change a wheel on a heavy motorhome, get a man that can, a few £'s or € much better than hospital if it goes wrong.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
The fiat ducato, Peugeot boxer, citron relay are all the same base vehicle and most parts are interchangeable ....The jack will be the same ....theyre actually quite good too I've used mine a fair bit although I wouldn't lie under the van whilst on one they're certainly adequate for wheel changes etc.

It's the spare wheel wound up on a 4mm wire I think is dubious .....but that said it's stayed up there lol

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I thought Fiat and Peugeot came out of the same factory, so same jack?
We also wouldn't change it ourselves. We'd get breakdown to do it. Why pay for cover then do it yourself?
Especially when your old and creaky yourself.
Speaking for ourselves, not anyone on here.
Because I can change one quicker than it would take for a breakdown van to get to me ......and most breakdowns have a limited call outs per year .....a flat tyre is something every motorist should be equipped and able to deal with themselves ......same with checking oil

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
advice as above, the jacks are the same and both useless in an emergency. just about lifts a front corner, but not a rear

as for the question in the title....i decline to comment as it may invoke rule 1 :rofl:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Not sure how big your MH is, but whatever jack we have or have not got, if we need to change a wheel I am having it done (y)

I'm with David on this one. This summer in Scotland miles from anywhere I thought that I may have a faulty wheel bearing. The scissor jack had never been used but I was impressed at how it located in the jacking points. Winding it up was nightmare though and I thought at the time how I would not wish to be attempting this or trying to access the spare wheel beside some busy road!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Because I can change one quicker than it would take for a breakdown van to get to me ......and most breakdowns have a limited call outs per year .....a flat tyre is something every motorist should be equipped and able to deal with themselves ......same with checking oil
I agree in principle with a car tyre, but the weight and size make it impossible for many older members to change a van tyre at the roadside

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
As Carol said, no question is stupid. You can be sure that by asking someone else will be grateful for the answer.
That said I think I would also leave it to the breakdown service. Have a cup of tea while you wait (y)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Regardless of whether you can change a tyre personally or not .....you should always make sure you have a functional jack wheelbrace and a serviceable spare wheel on board ......don't always rely on breakdown services to have the necessary equipment as sometimes they don't ....It saves lengthy delays I speak from previous experience.

But maybe I just trust my own work more than I trust others .....i do most stuff myself if I can

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
No, you're not stupid. Being stupid (me Sir) is assuming you've actually got a spare wheel in the first place. My 3rd mistake!

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
as said before if its a scisor jack bin it and get a decent bottle jack with adiquate weight capacity . :cool::cool:STAN

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
as said before if its a scisor jack bin it and get a decent bottle jack with adiquate weight capacity . :cool::cool:STAN
I'd actually rather use the original jack than a bottle jack....its weight related to the vehicle mine is 1900kg , it's mechanical as opposed to hydraulic so doesn't leak or loose pressure , it has the correct bracket to fit in the designated jack lifting points , and it fits in the tool roll with the wheelbrace etc supplied with vehicle....perfect for changing a wheel on the move

Of course at home I'd use my 5 tonne trolley jack

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

You have more confidence than me, a scissor jack may well collapse, hopefully slowly, a bottle jack could simply topple over pretty much instantaneously, either / both very scary concept

I will wait and let the nice man with a proper trolley jack do it thanks :D

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
You have more confidence than me, a scissor jack may well collapse, hopefully slowly, a bottle jack could simply topple over pretty much instantaneously, either / both very scary concept

I will wait and let the nice man with a proper trolley jack do it thanks :D

I have to say that if the correct scissor jack for the vehicle is used and used correctly there has been few cases of them ever collapsing ....theyre actually one of the best jacks

I'm not talking one of the poxy side lifting ones supplied with most cars but a proper heavy duty scissor jack supplied with most mh are the best ones to carry

As i said above I've used them a lot .....In fact I carried 2 in my last van and used them to level the van at times on seriously uneven ground .....worked brilliantly

OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Thank you for all the replies. I did think that maybe the van base was of the same manufacture and sold to the respective company to badge up. When you look at the Fiat and Pug. they do look Very similar. My van is only a light weight compared to some and the jack rated according to the base van. I agree with many that it would be better for someone else to change the wheel. However I am a hands on type and like to give things a go if I can... The AA will only come out so many times, and with a dodgy Battery or serious malfunction I would rather they be there for that than have to pay the recovery from a Motorway or travel expenses to get home if Van was none reparable. Thank you all for your replies.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I have a 2.5 tonne trolley Jack that while it takes up more room isn't a great deal heavier than the bottle Jack I have and would much rather use that. When we eventually become MH owners it will be coming along with us.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
We have a AS Nuevo on a Boxer chassis and as part of my "get to know your vehicle" campaign I made it a point to know if I could change a wheel if I was stuck in the back of beyond in a foreign country in the middle of a wet night. I should point out I am a fully qualified mechanic from over 50 years ago, but in my opinion any relatively sensible person should be able to change a wheel and I hope my experience will prove useful. If you disagree then please ignore everything I write.

First of all the spanner supplied to undo your wheel nuts is useless. You will need to purchase a more robust wheel spanner and the likes of Halfords sell one for less than £20.00 that makes loosening / tightening the wheel nuts a doddle. Having bought a heavy duty spanner I then removed each wheel stud in turn, cleaned the threads with a wire brush, lightly greased and replaced them. This ensured there would be no surprises with a stuck or cross threaded wheel stud. I know that some of you will say that the only way to tighten a wheel stud is with a torque wrench but I can assure you it can be done with common sense as well.

Next comes the business of the scissor jack supplied. I admit that when I tested it I expected it to fail and I was prepared to carry a hydraulic jack I owned and put up with the payload being reduced. However when I tried it out I found that it raised the vehicle with minimum fuss and effort. In my opinion it is fine for replacing a wheel but I would not recommend it for working under the vehicle for prolonged periods.

The hardest part I found was actually lowering the spare wheel carried which is on a cable arrangement as described in a previous post from Tambo. The whole mechanism was rather rusty and stiff due to lack of use, but after finally getting it to release and cleaning and lubricating the relative parts I am now confident that I could remove the spare if the need arises. I also was able to inspect the spare wheel while it was removed to ensure it was serviceable and correctly inflated. I would also recommend carrying a head torch if you need to perform this task at night.

If you are happy to do some of your own mechanical repairs we hope the above is of some use to you.

The Tinca's

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back