Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all

Off to France and maybe down to Spain in a couple of weeks. Have a Samsung tablet and have used it before with WIFI at McDonalds and campsites etc. Also have TalkTalk mobile that it will tether to but the charges are ridiculous abroad so use my old PAYG Tesco vodaphone for the odd call. Would like to be able to use the tablet without hunting out a Wifi hotspot.

This is currently on offer at Argos...Broken Link Removed

does it look any good and would it work in France/Spain?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

Not a bad offer. I have just got the same MIFI from 3 as I have been a 3 customer for mobile braodband for years.

You get a 3 mobile broadband sim with it which you can PAYG after using the 1gb included and at the moment you can use the unit in France exactly the same way as you can in the UK with no extra charges. I think the sim needs topping up after 1 month as the sims initial allowance is limited to 1 month. Regarding Spain however at the moment it is not included in the same scheme as France and so would not provide a service from your included limit. Also I am not sure that the 3 MIFI is unlocked like the 3 phones are now if you take a contract out with them. This means it will not work with Spanish Sim whilst you are there.

Have a look on the 3 website for more details.

Doug

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
We got one in currys on three network on Tuesday 19.99. + 16.00 for 10 gig of data on a month to month rolling contract

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Just looked at 3's roaming charges and it appears that in France it's 10 ppm and it adds, 'from monthly allowance'. For Spain (including all the islands) it says 19.8 ppm but does not state anything about monthly allowance.

I'm taking this to mean that on contract or PAYG in Spain it will cost 19.8 ppm.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi davidandginny

Minefield isn't it.

I am not sure you have got the right info from 3.

The sim used in a MIFI is a data only sim and not the same as you would buy for you phone although they do fit both.

I have been with 3 for years and when I have been away I have used a dongle I had and never reached the 1GB allowance per month, You should look at the Mobile Broadband Sim charges which I think is 10.2p per MB whilst in Spain until hopefully they include Spain in their Feel at Home cheme. Also I think you can only do that if you have a contract not on Paygo as then they can add your extra costs to your monthly bill.

The Currys offer mentioned is the one where I think some have suggested you cancel it at 30 days notice as soon as you get it, keep the MIFI and then buy whatever GB allowance you need. 16GB is a lot and you may find 1 or 5 would be enough and so you pay less for your topup. This would be cheaper than getting the MIFI from 3.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Yes, complete minefield!

I've just had a chat with 3 and it does seem that the PAYG option on the E5330 will work in France and in Spain.

To use in Spain you have to pay Int Roaming Charges. Per MB in Spain is 19.8p and 11p in France. You can top-Up with £10, £15 and £25. Once you have the credit in your account you will need to convert it into the broadband add-on, with the current Pay As You Go price plan you can get a 1GB data allowance for £10, 3GB with a £15 add-on and 7GB with a £25 add-on. Each add-on lasts for 30 days. To use in Spain it'll cost you 19.8p per mb of data.

Seems pretty good to me.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for that info. Did not know you could have international addon on a mobile broadband sim. Only thing is that is £198 per GB in Spain. Not good to me.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks for that info. Did not know you could have international addon on a mobile broadband sim. Only thing is that is £198 per GB in Spain. Not good to me.
No, that does sound like a bad deal!

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi davidandginny

I have a monthly contract with 3 and recently upgraded it to 5gb per month and they provided me with a MIFI free E5330.

I have just asked them, as they had not replied to an email I sent a few days ago, and they tell me my MIFI has been suppied unlocked, as their phones are now, so I could buy a local sim in Spain if I needed to and use that. Could be lot cheaper than 19.8p MB.

There is a thought that they will add some other European countries soon and that may include Spain. Each country depends on the providers they deal with there.

PS off to France in 10 days.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back