Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
Afternoon all,l have got halogen bulbs in my campervan and they are not very bright.
Is there any other bulbs i can install besides halogen,if so can i just change bulbs or do i have to change every thing.:Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I am surprised Russ.

I thought Halogens were one of the brightest, watt for watt.

If the voltage and wattage are the same and of course the fitting, I don't see why not.

I assume you're talking about 12volt habitation lighting.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Afternoon all,l have got halogen bulbs in my campervan and they are not very bright.
Is there any other bulbs i can install besides halogen,if so can i just change bulbs or do i have to change every thing.:Smile:
Are we talking living lights or driving lights:Doh:
if living lights they should be extreamly (normaly too) bright ,do you mean LEDs
If driving (headlights) you could upgrade to a higher wattage than standard but strictly speaking they are not road legal, or you could go for better technicly more modern lights bulbs, still Halogen but often sold as extra white light or Ice Blue Light etc, they just fit in the same as your normal bulbs
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Are we talking living lights or driving lights:Doh:
if living lights they should be extreamly (normaly too) bright ,do you mean LEDs
If driving (headlights) you could upgrade to a higher wattage than standard but strictly speaking they are not road legal, or you could go for better technicly more modern lights bulbs, still Halogen but often sold as extra white light or Ice Blue Light etc, they just fit in the same as your normal bulbs
Geo

Got those in mine now (Replaced all 4) and I love them.Visibly brighter and easier on the eye while driving.:thumb:

Definately cheaper to buy on flea bay.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Got those in mine now (Replaced all 4) and I love them.Visibly brighter and easier on the eye while driving.:thumb:

Definately cheaper to buy on flea bay.
Yes good bit of kit Steve and often incorrectly failed at MoT time as being wrong colour as they look blue, the more experienced testers actually read the rule book and you can only fail on light output, and as you know they might look blue but the output is very very white:Doh:
Geo

OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
Yes AD,I am talking about 12volt habitation lighting it just seems too dark.
Never noticed it untill i started to read some books,maybe its my eye's.
Is there differnt wattage for the bulbs.:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Russ,

you'll probably find the ones you want are Link Removed from AD's list but two cap types are listed. you need to know which one is fitted now as they wont be interchangable, looks like the dimensions are different.
the ones fitted are probably 20w as these seem to be a standard fit to motorhomes and personally i wouldnt go any higher than 35w as the fitting itself may not be rated for a higher wattage and might get too hot.

john.

OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
I will take one out and check what wattage they are but will not go higher than
35w.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
I don't know if this helps, but we had 5 halogens over the living area. But we replaced them at Stratford meet with LED's. They use fewer watts and give a light bright enough for reading but they were fairly pricey. The dealer at the show told us there were various grades and you could buy them much cheaper than the ones he was selling, But they would not last as long.
I'm not technical but it sounded ok to me
Lucille

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back