when on site do you use motorhome for travel (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Following on from another thread asking what we leave when we go off our pitch

How many of you do leave a pitch mid stay, we never have as yet

I guess the size of MH will be one of the big deciders

We stay 1, 2 or 3 nights on one site and do sight seeing, shopping etc when on the way to next stop over

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
We run around local area of campsite in mh but if the area we want to visit looks busy and hard to park then will use taxi or bus if not to far away. Google street view is a great tool to check out what's around where you are isn't it .

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We drop anchor, then that's it. Walk, bus or bike. We have noticed that since changing over from the 'tug', we walk a heck of a lot more, and save fuel by either shopping on the way in, or the way out.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
With a 10m unit, once on site it stays put. Car parks are a no no. Anyway, God gave me two legs and the dog four, so use them. Also if it is out of the reach of the Bicileta then it's time to move on.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
7m motorhome and use it like a car. In 7 years and over 350 nights away used a bus twice.
There is always somewhere to park it may mean a walk or cost 2 parking spaces but so what. If I am going to leave the MH behind then its time for a caravan.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We sometimes do if we fancy a meal offsite or a visit to the cinema as most sites don’t let you leave your dogs unattended in the van.
Never had a problem with that one. They only kick off if the dog takes up American Police Car siren lessons whilst your out.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We either tow car or take bikes depending on trip planned, but either way get to see the sights.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We very often go off traveling/visiting in ours (I suppose thats the beauty of a van conversion) - if its somewhere thats not anymore than 3 to 4 miles away we tend to walk :Smile:

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes, on occasion, just depends if there is something we want to visit and what parking is available. About to invest in an Electric bike for the wife so that should change our approach. We also have a largish dog, so that does limit the transport options to the MH at times.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When we had the RV it stayed put, but with a 6m motorhome, its no problem to nip out in the van. On many rallies I often use the motorhome to leave the rally on busy Saturday afternoons and buy beer and bacon (lots of bacon) it fits in most supermarket bays and is not a problem (y) On sites, we don't stop on them long enough so it's rare that we drive off and come back. probably a couple of time in the last ten years.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
''I often use the motorhome to leave the rally on busy Saturday afternoons and buy beer and bacon (lots of bacon)''

Spoken like a true camper lol

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We rarely use the MH for local transport - but not unheard of. We usually choose a location that has a bus service nearby or within walking distance of whatever we need (pub, shops, interesting places to visit).

John

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, we normally only stay a couple of nights 3 max at any site/ cl/cs, and always use the van nearly every day as our transport etc, this year for the first time actually stopped for 4 nights at a site while in cornwal (albeit 2 sites cc site and 1 next door as cc fully booked for the weekend) stopping for 4 nights the reason to hire a car thru cc with enterprise , Toyota Aygo cost £42 for 3 full days delivered to site and on third day drop off I was returned to site all in cost. just so we could visit some of those very small coastal villages with 6ft 6 width restrictions.
Terry

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Our problem is that my wife is disabled and can only really move any distance on a wheelchair. But we love dining out in nice country pubs. And we enjoy sightseeing around towns and cities. All that is doable if either of our kids tags along with their cars, but without them, we are stuck. This is why we are thinking about a Toad.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Use the M/H just as I would the car- if it stays parked up it's only because I don't need anything from shops etc
Buses ? I only look at them to see what would make a nice conversion :D
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi, we normally only stay a couple of nights 3 max at any site/ cl/cs, and always use the van nearly every day as our transport etc, this year for the first time actually stopped for 4 nights at a site while in cornwal (albeit 2 sites cc site and 1 next door as cc fully booked for the weekend) stopping for 4 nights the reason to hire a car thru cc with enterprise , Toyota Aygo cost £42 for 3 full days delivered to site and on third day drop off I was returned to site all in cost. just so we could visit some of those very small coastal villages with 6ft 6 width restrictions.
Terry

I saw this on another thread earlier this week, seems amazing value and opens up options for us to consider, we have an 8m MH not huge, but not easy to park in car parks

Got to be careful not to end up like a caravanner though :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back