Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am binning it.

Really angry about this. Spent no small sum of money on a new map and memory card so that I could have the whole of Europe on my old Tomtom One.

In Portugal, wherre we are thinking of settling, post codes are of the format xxxx-xxx but the darn device will only permit me to enter the first 4 digits. Totally useless. I have spent hours looking online and on the Tomtom web site and all the usual techie forums which I use. No solution available as far as I can tell.

We have started to use Google maps navigation on my smarthphone. Not ideal, but better.

I will never purchase, or recommend a Tomtom to anyone ever again. Load of crap!

Think I might buy a small tablet computer and install a navigation software. Any advice or recommendations anyone?

PS - I could not find the accessories forum when I clicked on the community tab. If this is in the wrong place please move it. Don't know where that went?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
In the MH we use a Galaxy Tab 3 (8in), with Co Pilot navigation software - so far, it's been spot on.
Also have AutGuard (dash cam App) and mp3 player running on it at the same time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
In the MH we use a Galaxy Tab 3 (8in), with Co Pilot navigation software - so far, it's been spot on.
Also have AutGuard (dash cam App) and mp3 player running on it at the same time.

Damn, didn't realise you could get such an app as Autoguard, I just bought a (cheap) dashcam which works well but, having looked this up on the play store, this would have been ideal. :(

I also use Copilot on my phone, which is a Galaxy Note, and the only problem I have had is with the phone itself overheating a couple of times when used in hot weather stuck to the windshield. The software itself is great.

I have Copilot Truck on my other phone (Iphone 4) which allows you to put in your vehicle dimensions, weight etc. It also works well, but one one occasion it added 2 hrs onto a journey compared to my normal Copilot, I have played around with the settings but it makes no difference. When I put in a waypoint it then recognised the shorter route! Other than that it's been fine (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
My personal experience with an oldish Tom Tom XL was that after buying a new update for 'Western Europe' it wouldn't fit. Endless chat with 'techies' didn't help and the only real response I got was after I placed an less than favourable review on Amazon. Telling them I'd taken the device to the garage and set to with a 2lb lump hammer was obviously not what Mr Executive Tom Tom wanted on Amazon but strangely after a whinge Amazon refused to oblige them and take the review down. The pleasure I got from wielding that hammer without mercy simply cannot be put into words.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Just looking at buying a tablet, Mrs BB has a iPad but I can't afford that, would you recommend the Galaxy Gizmouk?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Yes, would recommend the Tab 3 - it's a good bit of kit for not a lot of money.
Be aware the 7 in version also comes with a slower processor, and is, quite sluggish. For the extra 30-40 quid, it's definitely worth going for the 8 in version

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yes, would recommend the Tab 3 - it's a good bit of kit for not a lot of money.
Be aware the 7 in version also comes with a slower processor, and is, quite sluggish. For the extra 30-40 quid, it's definitely worth going for the 8 in version

Many thanks for the recommendation and advice. I'll be looking tonight!

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I take it you cannot upload POIs into a Galaxy Tab 3 with copilot? If not, then any advantage over a dedicated Satnav is surely compromised.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Get yourself a TOM TOM Carvan and Camper no issues with europe!
Costs a bit but you pay for what you get!
Jim
Had one of these & returned it as chose unsuitable routes just like Tom Tom car one not taking into account size of motorhome even though we had input its details to the unit so looked like it did! Tom Tom is great for cars in UK & Europe though especially with Lifetime Map Updates included. Now have proper truck sat nav Garmin DEZL 560LMT (great price for this model at the moment & again Lifetime Map Updates included) & finally no more unsuitable roads so worth the money to us:)

Yotanka

Free Member
Aug 26, 2014
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We had a Tom Tom but when we had to update maps etc it would not download. My husband tried to contact them, that was a farce in itself. Eventually was told not comparable to our model. No refund offered. Went and got a Mio now, far cheaper and far better. Agree with others though maps on tablets etc great and no need to buy a seperate navigator.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
On the other hand... I speak as I find..

I've had a TT One XL since 2007 and used it all over Europe in a large RV with no problems.. still use it in my car and find it great.

However, back to the OP.. post codes are a poor way to find a location with any sat-nav. no matter what country... At best you get the correct street, and in rural areas maybe just the correct village.. In France they are useless..

For sites and aires etc. I always use the gps co-ords which get you to within a few meters..

I've tried a Samsung tablet and smart phone with Co-pilot and it's good software , my problem in the car was finding a mounting or place to hold the tablet.. tried a couple of mounts which were just rubbish .. vibrating was so bad I couldn't see the map.. My Galaxy S3 worked great but shut down due to overheating ..

The mapping on my TT is now well out of date, and the battery is shot.. but with the new maps costing about £50 it makes sense just to replace it.. Halfords have a new TT One XL for about £79

Personally I don't like Swiss Army knife solutions.. IMO nothing beats a dedicated sat nav and I will be buying a new TT very soon..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Only skimmed the thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Reason and answer to the OP:

On the older Tomtoms such as the one the standard maps don't have postcode data included other than the first part you describe. You need to download separate postcode files for each country you need them for and add them to the card. You should be able to get them for free from lots of places. It's been a long time since I've needed to do it so I can't point you to a link or remember the exact procedure but it is pretty simple.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I just Googled "Tom Tom post codes" and the very first link was a description about not being able to enter full postcodes and having to manually download the post code file. Google knows everything - scary but (almost) true.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I am binning it.

Really angry about this. Spent no small sum of money on a new map and memory card so that I could have the whole of Europe on my old Tomtom One.

In Portugal, wherre we are thinking of settling, post codes are of the format xxxx-xxx but the darn device will only permit me to enter the first 4 digits. Totally useless. I have spent hours looking online and on the Tomtom web site and all the usual techie forums which I use. No solution available as far as I can tell.

We have started to use Google maps navigation on my smarthphone. Not ideal, but better.

I will never purchase, or recommend a Tomtom to anyone ever again. Load of crap!

Think I might buy a small tablet computer and install a navigation software. Any advice or recommendations anyone?

PS - I could not find the accessories forum when I clicked on the community tab. If this is in the wrong place please move it. Don't know where that went?

A map can be very good and are very reliable. Used one for sixty years.(not the same one)...BUSBY:D:D:D

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
I bought a snooper for my Motorhome, the 4.3" model. I wish I hadn't bothered, I find the screen hard to read and the technology a throwback to the 1980's. I wish I'd stuck with TomTom.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a 4 year old XL, took me 14 attempts to download the latest Europe Map which involved a phone call to TomTom. They did ring me back and talk me through it. It still took about an hour and a half for it to download......however can I get the post codes on?????? Nope, I have also googled it and tried many times to no avail. Co ordinates work extremely well, especially with aires. I always carry a map for back up. Actually if I am bored today I might spend a couple of hours trying to download the postcodes again :)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
TOM TOM Carvan and Camper used in UK, France, Germany, Portugal and Spain - post codes no problem, but tend to use Lon/Lat most of the time. Would not be without it.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
TOM TOM Carvan and Camper used in UK, France, Germany, Portugal and Spain - post codes no problem, but tend to use Lon/Lat most of the time. Would not be without it.
I'm going to investigate downloading the Camper and Caravan software to install on my Start 25.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Co-Pilot and Autoguard on Samsung Galaxy S4 - perfect. Got a brilliant vibe free mount from Sainsburys.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have a TT920 with a huge hard drive, it has Europe, USA, and Guam on it. Postcodes work fine in the UK and that's about all, coordinates are far more accurate once you realise there are three modes of entering them. Unsuitable routes can be largely avoided by setting the various parameters. Downloading poi files of aires works a treat but generally find using coordinates to be the best way, easy if you have an all the aires book, for the country you are in, they do one for Spain and Portugal combined. (see vicarious books)

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We found Tom Tom to be the best and have used it for just over a decade. Just bought a new one as the other one mislayed, but this time we've gone for the lifetime maps option, there was a sale on. Just ensures the maps don't go out of date. For a brilliant ap try Waze, it's free and flippin fantastic. I run it on my note4 and my mate on iphone..... just realised waze only uk soz .

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On mobile phone so can't multiquote everyone.

The problem I have is manybtimes places in Portugal only list post code and town. No street. Name. Many many times tt does not have the street name listed under the given post code. And the gps details are not given. I am a 25 year computer expert. If it was possible I would do it!

The first Google response is only for post codes in UK, Netherlands or Singapore, Portugal is not included. I followed all links over several hours and even checked the map specific files on tt site. Nothing for my map or portugal anywhere. All I found was a thread from another angry user saying tt had refused to help with the exact same problem.

This map cost me 50 quid 3 months ago! It should come with post codes - thay are part of the system. They worked in Spain, France and the UK, they should work here in Portugal!
TT will not get another penny from me.

So to go back to the start..... Which garmin should I buy? I saw a 7" version in a shop today for 139 euros. Good Deal?

I like the galaxy tab devices, but a bit pricey.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Please let us know how you get on as I am thinking of doing the same!
I'm still debating whether it's worth £80 or thereabouts. Using Tomtom Mydrive you can't use the device like a hard drive like in the "old days" so it looks though I'll have to uninstall my USA map to put on the Camper map.
Alternatively I could use a larger sdhc card I've got knocking about.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The problem I have is manybtimes places in Portugal only list post code and town. No street. Name. Many many times tt does not have the street name listed under the given post code. And the gps details are not given.

If you have a laptop with internet, go on Google maps, right click over the point you want the GPS Co-ords for , On the box that pops up, click on 'More' .. the GPS co-ords are displayed in the map search box.

hth

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would rather just have a bloody machine that works. I am in a camper with limited Internet at the best of times. I don't need work arounds I need a working product! I could use my phone and Google maps if I had Internet!!!! Google navigation software is excellent. But that would use data and probably overheat the phone. I have spent hours trying to solve this over many days. I would have if it were possible!
I need a working sat nav!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Buy a cheap Garmin Nuvi (and a good map) all we use and we've been all over the world literally with it. Tried Tom Tom found it bloody awful gave it my son he hates it as well had a Snooper sent it back full refund likewise one of those cheap Chinese things.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back