Rally no electric : ques about battery life (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Ok a real newbie question. We have not used our van just on battery/ gas etc. Thinking of joining the Shepton Mallet Rally and wondered would the battery last the weekend? Fridge i assume would have to go onto gas, but not sure whether i need electric. I phoned them up and it was £25 for the weekend, which seems a bit steep. They do have toilets and showers available. We would only be coming from friday eve till Sunday morning.

Happy Phantom

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
since 1988
You should be fine, if its chilly you would have to run heating on gas, and use gas to heat water.
Just make sure you have full gas cylinders and your battery is charged up full.
Enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
No solar, it is something we would think about in the future. Heating is diesel, fridge gas so i assume it will be lights only on battery?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Can highly recommend having even just one solar panel plus Battery Master (Vanbitz with Funster discount(y)) - we were off hook up (but daunting first time) for 5 days & both hab & cab batteries always at 3/4 - full even in Wales with not a lot of sun! Add a refillable gas bottle like Gaslow or Gas It & true freedom & so many more options of places to stay on a budget:)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you've got diesel heating you may struggle for a weekend if you need it on much for habitation heating but it depends on how many, size of and condition of your leisure batteries. I would hope you would be OK for a couple of nights but the third might be touch and go - but there are many variables, LED lights, use of TV etc. It is a subject discussed endlessly here. I suggest just go for it and you will find out for your MH how long it can last off grid - but take candles and extra jumpers just in case!

Apr 19, 2014
CHESHIRE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
1 YEAR
Dont worry....if it gets dim just fire up the engine to get the charge up. A weekend should be fine, solar panels are the way forward if you intend to do it regular.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Should be OK - I managed to survive 4 nights with 2 x 75Ah batteries running a compressor fridge a few weeks ago. Didn't need to run the diesel blown heater, mind you.

As already mentioned though, there are so many unknowns - battery size & condition, what electrical items you expect to use, how long you might run the diesel heater - there's only one way to know for certain.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont worry....if it gets dim just fire up the engine for hours and hours to get the charge up. A weekend should be fine, solar panels are the way forward if you intend to do it regular.

It takes an average 8 to 10 hours engine running to recharge a fully discharged (50% discharged) leisure battery from the alternator.
It basically trickle charges and nothing more.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I can manage 4 days in one place with mine totally of grid fridge and heating on gas with 12v blower, lights, stereo and phone chargers running of a single leisure battery.

But usually I move daily and drive for maybe 2 to 3 hours max which makes me surprised at this

It takes an average 8 to 10 hours engine running to recharge a fully discharged (50% discharged) leisure battery from the alternator.
It basically trickle charges and nothing more.

Ive never used the EHU in my van as it's never required

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
We managed last year at Shepton with just the leisure battery. As long as you are careful...NO TV... you should be fine.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Is it a Flash 10 you have ? If so, the lowering and raising of the bed takes a good few amps from the battery !! But not much else to drain the battery. We managed 3 days off grid and did OK, but I think anymore would be with fingers crossed.

Fridge and cooking will have to be off gas and your heating is diesel.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The diesel heater uses a lot of electric when it starts to get the glow plug hot so if not at a n annoying time might be an idea to put the engine on for a bit ( I think it suggests it in the Chausson manual)

David

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Normally we can go 4/5 days just on battery , so long as you don't use too much television, gas just make sure one of your bottles is full no problems ( as the advert say's SIMPLES)
When we go to France for 3 weeks we don't pick up electric hook ups ( admitted we do charge batteries by driving though)and again as long as 1 of our 2 x 6kg propane bottles is full we usually come back still with plenty

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back