Eaten half alive by a .......... (1 Viewer)

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So what was it.

I woke up to find I have about 60 or more bites all over by back, back of arms and ankles. I worried that something other than my beautiful wife had snuck in to bed with me. Se we washed all the bedclothes on Hot and hyng them in the sun all day. Next day I woke up to about 100 bites all over me. Wife not so badly affected, very few bites. This is very odd as I never usually get bitten, and she is usually covered in bites.

I asked our host and she told me that in Portugal there is this tiny little spider which bites you a lot....

So - is this true? Is there a tiny spider here which bites you all over, leaving small bites that look just like flea bites. Or was it the sofa her two dogs sit on, and some other kind of nibbler? I did spend many more hours on that sofa than my wife did. Hmmmmmm!

I am afraid I am a little suspicious......

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Bloody midges at Kielder Water got me like that. I counted 50 or 60 bites on my arms and legs. Her ladyship - not a single one.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Spiders........... dunno....... not to the extent you have described....:)

Flea`s more like... :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Any wild or domestic animals around, OM could be right.

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 dogs and a donkey, buttons.

Not bed bugs as the wife would have been eaten alive, she suffers terribly from any kind of insect they love her.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Put a piece of "White" paper on the floor by your bed...... and have a look in ten minutes... ;)(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
So what was it.

I woke up to find I have about 60 or more bites all over by back, back of arms and ankles. I worried that something other than my beautiful wife had snuck in to bed with me. Se we washed all the bedclothes on Hot and hyng them in the sun all day. Next day I woke up to about 100 bites all over me. Wife not so badly affected, very few bites. This is very odd as I never usually get bitten, and she is usually covered in bites.

I asked our host and she told me that in Portugal there is this tiny little spider which bites you a lot....

So - is this true? Is there a tiny spider here which bites you all over, leaving small bites that look just like flea bites. Or was it the sofa her two dogs sit on, and some other kind of nibbler? I did spend many more hours on that sofa than my wife did. Hmmmmmm!

I am afraid I am a little suspicious......
Blo*dy anarchists!! They get in through the hab door when your not looking!! Check the wardrobe first, you can soon spot one. Their thin, wear hoodies, and sometimes a gas mask. The male ones carry packs on their backs, and the female ones don't wear bras!.
Easy to get rid of. Just wear a normal British police riot helmet, and Whoooooooooooooosh, gone as fast as a frog up a pump! :):)(y)(y););)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds like fleas - they are very keen on ankles if they are hopping around on the carpet. But are you sure they are bites and it is not just some sort of rash?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sounds like fleas - they are very keen on ankles if they are hopping around on the carpet. But are you sure they are bites and it is not just some sort of rash?
Hmmmmmmm......A rash sounds serious. Try Blue Unction. You can get it anywhere. (y)(y)

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
"Chiggers are the juvenile form (larvae) of a certain type of mite of the family Trombiculidae. Mites are arachnids (like spiders and ticks).

Chiggers are found throughout the world. They most commonly live in forests, grassy fields, gardens, parks, and in moist areas around lakes or rivers. Most of the larvae that cause chigger bites are found on plants that are relatively close to the ground surface, because they require a high level of humidity for survival."

They are very prolific this year after an extremely mild winter. They do not burrow into skin but are very hard to eradicate. They are virtually invisible - the adults are like tiny red spiders, smaller than the average flea ....
"
What do chiggers look like?
Chiggers are barely visible to the naked eye (their length is less than 1/150th of an inch). A magnifying glass may be needed to see them. They are red in color and may be best appreciated when clustered in groups on the skin. The juvenile forms have six legs, although the (harmless) adult mites have eight legs."

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Spiders!
I kept getting bites while at home in bed over the last week. No bed bugs, no fleas and not mosquitoes because I swell up like a balloon with them. These were small red bites that itched like hell.
Mrs A, who could walk through a tropical rain forest full of biting bugs and come out without a mark, had a bite too!
I searched the bedroom everywhere with a torch looking for flying bugs, walking bugs, crawling bugs and anything else that could bite. We have two dogs, searched them for fleas too. Nothing. But I noticed a spider over the bed for a few nights, just when I got bitten. Chucked the spider out, no more bites!
Coincidence?

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Self-Care at Home

There have been many home remedies reported to treat chigger bites, but many of these are based upon the incorrect belief that the chiggers burrow into and reside in the skin. Home remedies, such as bleach, nail polish, turpentine, or alcohol applied to the bites in an attempt to "suffocate" the chiggers are not effective since the mites do not actually reside within the skin.

The only effective treatments are anti-itch creams and medications.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Some years ago, I was with a group from the UK, doing a survey of the old German gun emplacements and deep bunkers at Deauville, Normandy. (Hobby) On the second day, my wrist came up like a balloon. PANIC. No prob's, said our local guy, and swabbed some raw alcohol onto my wrist. In an hour the lump had gone......."araignée", said our guide....."Spiddddre...."

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
OMG. Why does the word SPIDER keep coming up..... are we being invaded? There never used to be spider bites did there? Terry got bit in Ilfracombe and it was said it might be a spider bite. The rest of us were ok.

What's going on? I'm itchy now. :(

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Chiggers!!! lol Not sure. I do know that since we set off to new pastures we have not had any more bites. Other than the odd mosquito, but they come up in a completely different kind of way. Do you get chiggers in Portugal?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Chiggers!!! lol Not sure. I do know that since we set off to new pastures we have not had any more bites. Other than the odd mosquito, but they come up in a completely different kind of way. Do you get chiggers in Portugal?
Of coarse!! Mr JJ lives there!!;)

Reactions: JJ
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
"Chiggers are the juvenile form (larvae) of a certain type of mite of the family Trombiculidae. Mites are arachnids (like spiders and ticks).

Chiggers are found throughout the world. They most commonly live in forests, grassy fields, gardens, parks, and in moist areas around lakes or rivers. Most of the larvae that cause chigger bites are found on plants that are relatively close to the ground surface, because they require a high level of humidity for survival."

They are very prolific this year after an extremely mild winter. They do not burrow into skin but are very hard to eradicate. They are virtually invisible - the adults are like tiny red spiders, smaller than the average flea ....
"
What do chiggers look like?
Chiggers are barely visible to the naked eye (their length is less than 1/150th of an inch). A magnifying glass may be needed to see them. They are red in color and may be best appreciated when clustered in groups on the skin. The juvenile forms have six legs, although the (harmless) adult mites have eight legs."

Exactly what I thought ! I avoid my garden from April to end of June and then from now to first cold... or go with wellies on!
They are just terrible those little buggers! if you really look for them you can see them .... they are RED (sorry JJ no sky blue ones !lol!)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
:rofl: Don't you just live the sympathy you get on here :whistle2::imoutahere:
You know Carol, how right you are!! Its like.........Confiding in your mum on here. Peeps are always treated with the greatest empathy and understanding when they catch a bug, set themselves on fire, or shunt a lorry......
Sometimes I'm personally moved to tears by some of the understanding answers to fellow members distress..:cry::cry:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
To be honest this thread is cheering me up rather. I am still itching like a bas*d but at least I am itching with a grin on my face! lol
Favorite answer so far has to be Anarchists! :mask:
Thank you.....I thought it might sort of 'bite' with you.......:)(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You have been itching to tell that joke all year, haven't you! :ROFLMAO::p
Not really. It's one I bought off my hero, Big Chief Bertie Bassett. He's a real Apache, you know. (y)
Anyway, told now, so I can 'scratch' it off the list.......:)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I got bitten by chiggers at a cheap hotel in France a few years ago. When I woke in the morning, I had about 10 bites, and little red spots on the white(ish) bed sheets.
Heres a picture I took earlier.....
6910722407_53a18b3640_z_d.jpg

Its smaller than a pinhead in real life

Allan

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I was going to suggest that they might be "berry bugs"......just Googled them and they are the same as what stycr has suggested(y) Sometimes called chiggers or harvest mites.....

We get them a lot during the summer if we walk over the grass in the garden, they usually go for the backs of knees and tops of legs. I never wear a skirt in the garden for this reason......in fact trousers and socks to keep everything out around here.......and that's before the midges appear when the conditions are right....:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculidae

berry bug.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back