LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I replied to an ad on the Caravan Club site, van for sale. I specifically asked for location as I don't want to travel to Other end of country to view a van.

Reckon it's a scam.

Reply:
I`m still selling the van which comes with new MOT and Road Tax, HPI report, low mileage and full service history, never involved in any type of accident, excellent condition, looks and drives great. The final price is not negotiable: £3500. My husband died 2 months ago and I was left with it and an unpaid mortgage that is due next week. If you agree I can send you the link to my private auction on eBay so you can buy it from there since I all ready had a buyer last week who came up with some fake notes. I don`t really trust someone else to come around my house. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it because they did a HPI check(it does not have any outstanding finance). As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you. You will receive the van with all the documents. This way you will actually pay for van after reception and inspection, considering that the funds will be held and released to me only after you accept and confirm the delivery. Do you think a 7 days inspection period will be enough? Within this time frame you have to decide if you purchase it or not. If you decide against the purchase you will be fully refunded without any added charges to your account. The vehicle will be returned to me if you reject it upon inspection, but I honestly doubt this will happen.

Please let me know your decision.

Thank you

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I think you're right to be suspicious about this one Hollyberry, the wording doesn't sound right somehow, not for a recently widowed lady. 'The mortgage becomes due next week?' What's that about. I may be totally wrong but as always............. Buyer Beware!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can understand someone recently widowed panicking over money--it's a common trait, even amongst those who have sufficient money.
But all the Ebay clap trap sounds false--and pay before I see it? I don't think so.......

I can't work out how yo trace an email origin on an ipad--I'll have to dig out the old laptop & try on that.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I can understand someone recently widowed panicking over money--it's a common trait, even amongst those who have sufficient money.
But all the Ebay clap trap sounds false--and pay before I see it? I don't think so.......

Very wise.(y)

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Another sleepless night!

Just digging around found this from CC website: for a caravan for sale and it looks ever so familiar.......

Hi, I was away to my mother in law and I just got to a pc and saw your email. This van has a full service history and all documentation is present including CRIS, all registered in my name I did the change of name just a few weeks ago. It has been stored in undercover storage from new so the exterior is perfect. My husband died 2 months ago and I was left with it and an unpaid mortgage that is due next week. The final price is not negotiable: £2800. If you agree I can send you the link to my private auction on eBay so you can buy it from there since I all ready had a buyer last week who came up with some fake notes. I don`t really trust someone else to come around my house. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it including a HPI check, they have checked and saw that there's no finance or other problems with it. In this sale I will include all the accessories that we have it it. eg. gas bottle, water tank, new awning that we didn`t even unpacked £300 value and a lot more.As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If indeed you are interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Definitely a scam. Stay well clear. If you see a van thats too far away then post and hopefully a local funster can make an initial viewing. You could then go and view it if all was good with it.
Good luck.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It looks a bit 'organised' to me. The person 'writing' this has a goodish command of english but every now and again the formation of a sentence/wording just isn't correct nor an it be put down to a typo e.g. 'new awning that we didn't even unpacked'; 'they have checked and saw that there's no finance' . There are others but it simply doesn't read true.

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Trust your gut feeling and steer well, well away from this utter garbage !

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
SCAM,SCAM,SCAM :Dthey will send you a false ebay page and details to pay -prob a Barclay;s bank (always a favorite;))the money would disappear within mins of you paying it in and you would see neither your money or a van :)
No comeback on ebay because it was not a ebay transaction (false page)and the banks don't care :eek:
Don't go near it :eek:
terry

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Broken Link Removed

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Haha! £5000 ... that's a giveaway for a start ...

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
It says for hire, not sale
That's something else I noticed. Ad is on CC site, link to caravans forsake.co.uk and there it's an ad for a van to hire.

Reported it to CC. I reckoned it was a scam as soon as I saw the pay now and it'll be delivered by Shiply.

Thanks, expert panel, for all your views!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As others have siad WALK AWAY. It is definately a scam. I had exactly the same bu****t quoted to me a year or so ago on an ad on Friday-ad. Reported it to them and they immediately withdrew tha ad before anybody else was caught. Report it to the CC.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A genuine seller will be more than happy for you to go and look at the van at their address (or maybe a storage facility at a push).

Would you buy a house without seeing it?

Would you buy a car without seeing it?

I wouldn't and I wouldn't expect anyone else to.

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I reported it during the night and CC have removed it.
A few nights ago I'd looked round Ebay, Autotrader and then found the CC for sales. Thought it was odd that prices seemed lower but left it til the following day. Now it's obvious that several of the ads are scams, the photos taken from ads for Motorhomes for hire.
I'm not paying a penny until I test drive a vehicle, see all the paperwork and do an HPI check. I've learnt a lot in the last 3 years--- all on here!

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
SCAM written all over it.

I had one. Similar approach on the autotrader web site.

"Hi there ,
I am glad to hear that you are interested to buy my 2003 CI CARIOCA 656 Diesel MOTORHOME only 23,000 Miles.
The motorhome is in perfect condition, the bodywork is immaculate,no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition , never been implied in any accident and it is as advertised.The motorhome comes with log book, Full service history, HPI cleared, No finance.
My last price is £ 5,600 and this price includes free delivery for you.
The only reason for selling this camper so cheap is because I am involved in a military project and I will move to Afghanistan on April 10 and come back after 10 months.
Right now I am located to Barry Buddon Camp in Dundee/Scotland because we are doing some special trainings here. The motorhome is here with me locked inside of the base garage.
In case you are still interested to buy it please write me back since I can deliver it anywhere over the UK on my cost.

Kind regards,
Mark Grimley"

We went back and forth with a few emails. I was to pay the money into his special escrow account etc etc. Obvious scam but I kept him tied up and hoping for a few days.

There are hundreds of these out there. For a first time motorhome buyer, it was very frustrating, as the low prices were not a give away when you don't know the market yet.

Yotanka

Free Member
Aug 26, 2014
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I also saw the "Scottish" scam but this one was she was going on deployment and needed to sell quick. It was stored on an army base. Same thing re money, would be held on ebay and van would be delivered etc. she was very insistent and eventually I told her I don't have "mug" written on my forehead.... Not another peep from her. Funny enough we were looking at vans the other week in Huntington and another man we got talking to said he was also involved in the above scam, luckily he didn't fall for it either.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Yup, SCAM.............like Funster peterc10 I've also encountered same type of ad in fri-ad, and reported same..........
Slight variation on yours though, 'still have 9type make etc here) for sale, have moved to Scotland (a)for job (b) to be nearer family, will deliver at own cost if moneys lodged in a paypal acc..............Hmm, they must think we all live in trees and eat banana's :whistle:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Perhaps you should say "oh, I am in Scotland as well can we make an appointment?" - should sort them out!

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Another odd thing---wants me to go via "Ebay" but says they need my Ebay user name to send me the link. Obviously that's rubbish, and I know it's a fake Ebay page but what's the benefit of having my Ebay name?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
They can send you a "personal" email pretending to be from ebay?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back