pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
we got told that once you reach 70 you loose your C1 from your licence is it a problem to get it back

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

If you want to retain the C1 category on your licence you have to have a medical and the results forwarded to the DVLA. This medical will be required every time you renew your licence after 70 which is every 3 years.

Someone will advise you of the form the doctor has to complete for submission. I think it is something like a D1.

Doug

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for your answer
so you get a D1 from DVLA take it to your docs they fill it out and you send it back to DVLA will there be a time limit befor you are 70 to set this up would not want to be without a licence
pam

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

You can apply for the renewal of your licence 2 months prior to the expiry of the old one. I think from memory of reading elsewhere that if there is a delay you can get a document that says you still retain your old categories pending a decision from the DVLA.

I have come across someone who renewed at 70 and their friend commented that it was nice to see he had passed the medical as it must be nice to know the Doc is happy with you.

He said what medical.

He had to go back to the DVLA with a medical report and ask them to restore the C1 category. He had not realised he had lost the C1 and was driving without ilegally. Ooops

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for the info no need to worry now well as long as we pass the medical :)

Upvote 0

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

You can apply 90 days in advance and I think the form is a D4

Have a look on the DVLA site

See following https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
You can click on bottom re C1

Also if you renew a C1 you can only drive a vehicle up to 7,500kg with a trailer up to 750kg. You need C1+E for larger trailers up to a total train weight of 12,000KGS.

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Pammie are you or hubby past your 70 th birthday or approaching it, if approaching it I have just jumped through the hoop and know what to do, if you have passed your 70th it maybe slightly different to regain it........not prying into a ladies age of course :)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

You can apply 90 days in advance and I think the form is a D4

Have a look on the DVLA site

See following https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
You can click on bottom re C1

Also if you renew a C1 you can only drive a vehicle up to 7,500kg with a trailer up to 750kg. You need C1+E for larger trailers up to a total train weight of 12,000KGS.
Almost right.....

If you already have C1 due to grandfather rights (pre 1997 test date) then you also automatically have C1+E, which covers for a combination of tug and trailer UP TO 8250kg.

C1 is restricted to a max trailer limit of 750kg regardless of the tugs weight between 3500kg and 7500kg

To gain the 12000kg train limit you must resit, and pass, the C1+E test.

Doubtful you would be allowed to resit the C1+E test at age 70+.

Upvote 0

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

Quite right Pappajohn I meant the C1E (107)

The following is from the DVLA

"This leaflet contains information about
entitlement to tow trailers.

Important note

This leaflet relates only to driver licensing.
For details relating to weights and dimensions
of trailers please phone
0300 330 3000

Car driving licences held
before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997
you will normally keep your existing entitlements
to drive a vehicle with a trailer, with a combined
weight of 8.25 tonnes (showing on your licence
as C1E (107)) until your licence runs out at age
70. You are also entitled to drive a minibus with a
trailer weighing more than 750kg. If you want to
keep these entitlements after age 70 you will need
to submit an application for lorry, bus or minibus
driving licence (D2) and fill in a Medical Examination
Report D4, and meet the higher medical standards
required of bus and lorry drivers.

If you have subcategory C1E (107) on your driving
licence and wish to drive a vehicle and trailer with
a combined weight of up to 12 tonnes you can
apply for provisional subcategory C1+E in order to
take the test. You do not need to get subcategory
C1 first, but you have to meet higher medical
standards and pass both the category C theory
test and the subcategory C1+E practical test."

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Some useful info there, Il need to renew my License soon, do I need a Uk address??
I would say yes.....or you may have to exchanged your licence for a french one.

Found this section from an email from dvla online......

I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is no longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

Upvote 0

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I would say yes.....or you may have to exchanged your licence for a french one.

Found this section from an email from dvla online......

I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is no longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

Thanks pappajohn, I exchanged my UK license for a French one 25ish years ago, but had the sense to apply for a duplicate UK one before, and gave them that; because the Grandad rights also apply here except the Trailer part does not! (its really user friendly this European Union isn't it) If I'm towing my car then I use my UK passport and license.:confused:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Pammie are you or hubby past your 70 th birthday or approaching it, if approaching it I have just jumped through the hoop and know what to do, if you have passed your 70th it maybe slightly different to regain it........not prying into a ladies age of course :)
we are fine Nigel has 4yrs till he is 70 me a bit longer it was just that a person we know said we would not be able to get a licence we are both fit and healthy so no problems with medicals (well not yet fingers crossed, touch wood) as long as you did not have to do tredmill for 40mins or run uphill with a lorry tied to you
pamie

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
You mean there are people out there driving on public roads who are over 70:eek:
Should stick to busses :p

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamie

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
You mean there are people out there driving on public roads who are over 70:eek:
Should stick to busses :p
Apparently so they are called Retired people meaning Re:word-forming element meaning "back to the original place; again, anew, once more," also with a sense of "undoing," and
tired adj. Exhausted of strength or energy; fatigued. Impatient; bored: tired of the same old sandwiches
so they are born again people who are bored of same old and get in their MH and get a life
lol Pamie

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Th
we are fine Nigel has 4yrs till he is 70 me a bit longer it was just that a person we know said we would not be able to get a licence we are both fit and healthy so no problems with medicals (well not yet fingers crossed, touch wood) as long as you did not have to do tredmill for 40mins or run uphill with a lorry tied to you
pamie

Then that person was totally wrong, but with four years to go there is no point in going into details yet as they may well change the procedure. But it will remain simple to keep your C1 and C1e entitlement, just a medical from your own doctor and a bit of form filling

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Indeed, there are not only many people out there still driving after the age of 70 - some are still actually driving the buses BreweryDave is talking about!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back