Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi All

Hope you experienced continental travellers can help,

After a conversation at the NEC show I was wondering if people do have problems firing up their air conditioners abroad, I have always been led to understand that running a largish unit i.e. 4 amps can be a bit hit and miss :Sad: to get them going and that a smaller unit i.e. 3 amps would be more successful. :Smile:

Does any one have experience of these type of problems, if so where about where you

All replies greatly appreciated ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It will all depend on the rating of the EHU .. most sites abroad are 10A or less.. indeed, many are only 6 A

You won't have any problems on a 10A or higher supply , well, at least not from it tripping but your neighbours may not appreciate the noise..

We have two aircons on the RV and have never used them, even in the hottest climes I like to 'acclimatise' rather than sit in the van with a noisy air con.. .. but it's a very contentious and personal issue, air cons are not 'green'

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi
We always check the sites amperage before we book as our air-con draws 9.6 amps on start-up even though it only draws 6amps while running.
All the units we've looked-at have a high start-up draw so you're somewhat restricted to sites that can support that.

regards...nige

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi All

Hope you experienced continental travellers can help,

After a conversation at the NEC show I was wondering if people do have problems firing up their air conditioners abroad, I have always been led to understand that running a largish unit i.e. 4 amps can be a bit hit and miss :Sad: to get them going and that a smaller unit i.e. 3 amps would be more successful. :Smile:

Does any one have experience of these type of problems, if so where about where you

All replies greatly appreciated ::bigsmile:
That just about sums it up, right through Spain and all of Morocco we had occasions to use the air con ,even on sites that it had worked the day before it didn't the next, due to I assume the number of vans drawing on the power at any given times, rather than going for the amps drawn I would think the out put of any given unit would be of more importance, get the right output and it will work now and then, get a unit too small for the job and it may not work at any time, other than to give you the reassuring sound that an air con unit is running:thumb:
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back