Advice (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
Had a great weekend at Malvern, just so sorry we left it too late to camp with the Funsters. However, we met up and camped on the general area with three other motor homes and good friends from Spain it was very enjoyable. Is it me or are there less people in western attire each year ? That said, we didn't bother either. I digress: The reason for this query is advice on flooring for our Autotrail Mohecan. Tired of cleaning the carpet after such events and as we will be doing our trip back to Spain in September via a five week trip touring France, it's also inpractical. We have no intention of paying the prices advertised at shows for example for vinyl or preferably kardean (not sure how it's spelt) but would like advice from anyone who may have had theirs done inexpensively. We are based in the Merseyside area? Kind Regards, Jeanette

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In jtf they have rolled up pieces of rubber matting, I know it sounds naff but it is 6 ft long and about 3 ft wide and just fits our floor with a few cut outs for the fridge and that and is as soft as carpet and can be got out and hosed if you want and doesn't look to bad when it's down and the best bit is it's only £7.99, we have had ours down two years now and still like new.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
roncab
Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Chaser,

Worth a thought. We not too good with diy but what is JTF ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi Chaser,

Worth a thought. We not too good with diy but what is JTF ?
http://www.jtfonline.com
Must be one near you, the stuff I am on about is not just a flat piece of rubber but like spongy with a pattern on and looks like it was on from new, not fancy but keeps your floor good and if you want to be posh you can just roll it up and go back to your carpet

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Mine has vinyl floor with drop in carpets

Summer time carpets out

Winter time carpets in

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Have you tried a local carpet fitter I'm sure they could do something for you no problem and not to expensive.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We prefer carpets as use van more in winter . Old Hobby carpets horrible but that us after 10 years ! As we don't have a double floor we have laid insulation , a double layer then new carpet . A big difference and not too bad a job . Had to remove a seat to lay then rebolt. Took about two dats but am sure an expert would do in an hour or so !!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
image.jpg

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Laid it with double sided tape round edges and cross crossed . Am sure it would work just as well with cushion flooring or vinyl if that us your preference :)

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
No easy answer to this. I to have a Mohican with fitted carpets, even in the kitchen area. (Autotrail cover the whole floor and then build on top) I asked several carpet fitters who tended to puff and blow with raised eyebrows; too complicated a shape, too much intricate cutting for them I feel. We decided to buy small rugs and although not perfect they do afford some protection.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we bought our van the carpets weren't very good so we binned them. The floor is vinyl covered so we just use rubber backed dirt trapper mats of various sizes. Easy to brush clean and can be washed if need be.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Bought a new carpet, took the old one up and used it as a template then cut the new one to size and fitted it in about four hours.

No-one was more gobsmacked than me that it fitted perfectly. :whistle2:

Beginners luck probably.

OP
OP
roncab
Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
G
Bought a new carpet, took the old one up and used it as a template then cut the new one to size and fitted it in about four hours.

No-one was more gobsmacked than me that it fitted perfectly. :whistle2:

Beginners luck probably.

Great idea, well done Hymie. However the carpet in the Autotrail is fitted under all the seats on top of plywood. We now have a good friend coming next week to take it up and measure for karndean which is like vinyl but is warm and looks and feels like wood. He has to tell if the floor good enough yet as it can't be laid on any surface. It is laid all over our local hospital and looks fantastic, so I am hoping it is possible for our van.

OP
OP
roncab
Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
When we bought our van the carpets weren't very good so we binned them. The floor is vinyl covered so we just use rubber backed dirt trapper mats of various sizes. Easy to brush clean and can be washed if need be.
Thanks GJH for taking the time to post your advice! as replied to Hymie, we are now looking at an alternative. We don't have vinyl under the carpet as far as we know but like your idea.

OP
OP
roncab
Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
No easy answer to this. I to have a Mohican with fitted carpets, even in the kitchen area. (Autotrail cover the whole floor and then build on top) I asked several carpet fitters who tended to puff and blow with raised eyebrows; too complicated a shape, too much intricate cutting for them I feel. We decided to buy small rugs and although not perfect they do afford some protection.

Thanks Schojac, kind of you to reply to our query, as we explained to Hymer, we haVe thought of an alternative. Glad your fix worked for you.

OP
OP
roncab
Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
Ahh th
Laid it with double sided tape round edges and cross crossed . Am sure it would work just as well with cushion flooring or vinyl if that us your preference :)
ask Spitfire and also for going to the trouble to post a picture. I must say, it does look very professional. That said, we have a friend coming round next week who fits wet rooms, kitchens etc who is going to see if our idea of karndean flooring will work.

OP
OP
roncab
Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
We prefer carpets as use van more in winter . Old Hobby carpets horrible but that us after 10 years ! As we don't have a double floor we have laid insulation , a double layer then new carpet . A big difference and not too bad a job . Had to remove a seat to lay then rebolt. Took about two dats but am sure an expert would do in an hour or so !!

Have you tried a local carpet fitter I'm sure they could do something for you no problem and not to expensive.
Thanks, Lorger, Yes, we thought of local carpet fitter and then remembered we had a friend who is professional at these things and can help us decide if the option we have in mind will work for us. Thanks for your reply
Mine has vinyl floor with drop in carpets

Summer time carpets out

Winter time carpets in

Thanks Tambo, quite a good idea but we have something else in mind now as explained in other answers to suggestions. It was good of you to reply.

OP
OP
roncab
Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
Th
http://www.jtfonline.com
Must be one near you, the stuff I am on about is not just a flat piece of rubber but like spongy with a pattern on and looks like it was on from new, not fancy but keeps your floor good and if you want to be posh you can just roll it up and go back to your carpet
Thanks Chaser, your method sounds really good. It is probably a very good option but as we have posted in reply to other suggestions we are looking at another alternative which I hope will work and look good. Kind regards

OP
OP
roncab
Dec 23, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Atoutrial tracker
Exp
Since 2004
Hi
I have laminate flooring in my Autotrail ! Brilliant for sweeping the sand out !!!! Perhaps you could DIY it !!
Hi Stephen & Jeannie, we like the idea of laminate however, having to downsize weight in 2 years we are mindful of the extra weight, no matter how Small, Kind of you to reply

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back