Sat Dome or Dish? (1 Viewer)

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We are considering changing our motorhome as we are thinking about downsizing- house and van!

We have settled on an IH panel van conversion, though still considering which layout to go for front or rear lounge, both in the running at the moment! We know we want to carry a TV for the odd bit of entertainment but can't decide on a dome or a dish. We thought a dish would be better and lower on the roof than a dome. We have been really surprised at how well our current TV works though and how easy it is to manage. Anyone got any thoughts on the matter. We only use the TV for the odd programme in the UK and the news ( if we can get it) in France.

So dome or dish, pros and cons?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We had a dish on our previous mh and have a dome on our current mh which was already fitted. Earlier this year our dome got smashed by a low hanging tree branch on a major road in Staffs - domes are, by their very nature, fragile. They also add something like 18" to the height of the mh. So for us, if we had a choice, it would be dish every time. We haven't noticed any difference in reception from either dome or dish.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My view, for what's is worth is not to bother with either ! I'm of the view that within a short time both these options will be obsolete. Most TV stations can now be picked up via the internet and with roaming charges disappearing in October, the Internet will be the best option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
My view, for what's is worth is not to bother with either ! I'm of the view that within a short time both these options will be obsolete. Most TV stations can now be picked up via the internet and with roaming charges disappearing in October, the Internet will be the best option.
Always assuming you have internet access wherever you are pitched .................. not always the case.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Just as an aside - when we are on our major travels (UK to Crete usually) we buy a DVD box set which lasts us months. We've watched The Wire, Breaking Bad, Boston Legal, The Shield and are about to start on Criminal Minds. They've all been brilliant so far.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Always assuming you have internet access wherever you are pitched .................. not always the case.
Agreed. However, I would have thought you are more likely to get a phone signal than a TV satellite signal, particularly in Spain where the recent changes in satellites has caused so many problems for Brits trying to access their favorite TV channels.

Keef

Free Member
Jul 25, 2010
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
15 Years
A dome has to be the best solution as it is never affected by bad weather, high winds in particular.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I may be wrong but I think the dishes in domes tend to be a bit smaller than stand-alone dishes and if you want to pick up say the Beeb in France then the bigger the dish the further south you will get a signal.

I agree the internet is nibbling away at satellite and in this country if you have a good wifi landline connection you don't really need satellite (Sky) to receive lots of channels but in the countryside where you are going to have to pick it up using say a Mifi then bandwidth is still a big problem and even all you can eat broadband deals have a "reasonable usage" quota hidden away in the fine print.

There have been a few occasions with our dish when the wind was too strong but this doesn't happen often and those times are the reason you carry a scrabble set and a corkscrew. :D I am happy not to have to worry about the vulnerability of a dome.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Dish every time especially if travelling abroad .
Domes are great but fragile and lots of continental pitches have low trees on them for shade.
Also depending on the height of your van a dome can push you over the dreaded 3 meters on tolls almost doubling the fee.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Dish 85cm - at least you'll stand a chance of getting something when you're in Europe
Just as an aside - when we are on our major travels (UK to Crete usually) we buy a DVD box set which lasts us months. We've watched The Wire, Breaking Bad, Boston Legal, The Shield and are about to start on Criminal Minds. They've all been brilliant so far.
Box sets are great for travel. We need to get away soon so we can carry on with Breaking Bad!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Dish 85cm - at least you'll stand a chance of getting something when you're in Europe

Box sets are great for travel. We need to get away soon so we can carry on with Breaking Bad!
We too used to carry box sets. However, I find it cheaper to download films/ series etc., ( no cost for this !), onto a stand alone hard drive and then we can watch TV at our leisure. My hard drive is a 1 terabyte and takes up less room than box sets of DVD's.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Dish for me .. and it doesn't need to be a fixed to the roof, all singing all dancing self seeking break the bank model..

Cheap as chips .. 12v digi box + 85 cm domestic dish less than £100 ..
a free standing dish has endless possibilities for fixing. For example a tripod, awning pole, fence etc..

that's all you need, and all we had while full time ..here it is fixed to a pole at Roquettas Camping, Spain

As you can see, a fixed roof dish would have been under the trees..so no signal.. another bonus of a free standing

RBpXjjIkDvSNsa_KR0KMwauxAefxv1accpqhZ6LmANak=w1288-h851-no

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I have a dome thath got badly damaged some time ago and although it has been extensively repaired to new, I really can't see any reason to put it back on unless I was always in the UK.
Anywhere past Paris and a dome just becomes useless baggage!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As an afterthought, may I point out that if your 'on site' in Spain, many sites provide prime UK TV channels via a signal cable connection on each pitch.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

We have traveled down through France and Italy and are now in Slovenia. In France and Italy I have free roaming on my phone with 3.

Sadly even with a full 3G signal I could not stream TV properly, even though I have no problems doing so when in UK. (3 does warn of this in their conditions that the signal may not be as good as at home) Even trying to listen to the test match on Tunein radio app was not so good with a lot of buffering delays.

Luckily my dome is still working, though once into Italy we switched from 28E to 19E where we can get BBC, CNN and Sky News, and I watched the Euro Athletics at the weekend on Eurosport DE.

(y)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We have traveled down through France and Italy and are now in Slovenia. In France and Italy I have free roaming on my phone with 3.

Sadly even with a full 3G signal I could not stream TV properly. (3 does warn of that in their conditions that the signal may not be as good as at home) Even trying to listen to the test match on Tunein radio app was not so good with a lot of buffering delays.

Luckily my dome is still working, though once into Italy we switched from 28E to 19E where we can get BBC, CNN and Sky News, and I watched the Euro Athletics at the weekend on Eurosport DE.

(y)
Don't bypass Lake Bled. We were there end of May this year and found it stunning.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Camos + roof mounted flat panel; not affected by wind and managed good signal south of France. Folds virtually flat, never had any problems. Good compass reading, 9 cranks in the UK, set the dial to North, turn and use signal strength meter on the TV. Locks on and picture in under 1 min (still need to be aware of obstacles though)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Don't bypass Lake Bled. We were there end of May this year and found it stunning.

Were planning to go there on the way back north, as Gerry (Lorger) had also mentioned it in his blog.
Any sites or stops you would recommend there for a stopover?

Cheers.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Camping Bled. On the edge of Lake Bled. Good campsite and next to campsite is a restaurant/ bar and mini supermarket. Cycling track around lake which you can walk in about 2 hours with some good bars/ restaurants dotted around the lake. There's also a tourist train that goes around the lake several times a day but it's easy on the feet. Also, if you have the time spend a couple of days in Ljubljana. There is a campsite on the edge of the city (easy to get to and ACSI). Bus stop just outside the camp gate which will take you into the city. The old part is magnificent and you can explore on foot as it's fairly confined but should not be missed. What ever you do, don't miss going inside the church by the 3 bridges. You will be blown away! One of the finest churches we have seen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back