Apr 30, 2008
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry if this question has been asked before - but here goes:-

We are taking our new van through the Channel Tunnel shortly. Up to now we have managed with one gas bottle, but as we are going to be away for +4 weeks we were thinking of buying a second.

Looking on the Channel tunnel website info it says you can carry gas bottles but disconnected, weighing no more than 45kgs and no more than 80% full.

If we by a new one before we leave the UK it will be full won't it! Other than cook my Sunday lunch in the van before we set off - I'm not sure quite how to deal with the situation.

Has anyone had problems with gas bottles when using the Channel Tunnel?

Any (sensible) suggestions welcome!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry if this question has been asked before - but here goes:-

We are taking our new van through the Channel Tunnel shortly. Up to now we have managed with one gas bottle, but as we are going to be away for +4 weeks we were thinking of buying a second.

Looking on the Channel tunnel website info it says you can carry gas bottles but disconnected, weighing no more than 45kgs and no more than 80% full.

If we by a new one before we leave the UK it will be full won't it! Other than cook my Sunday lunch in the van before we set off - I'm not sure quite how to deal with the situation.

Has anyone had problems with gas bottles when using the Channel Tunnel?

Any (sensible) suggestions welcome!

really not a problem Netty.......the bottles are only filled to 80% capacity anyway to allow for the gas to expand. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
Nettypoole
Turn off the gas bottles valves. They will be checked by tunnel staff anyway. No probs there.
I believe that full gas bottles only contains 80% liquid gas anyway, so no probs there.
We used less than a small gas bottle in two weeks but we were on electrics every night so I would think that two bottles if sufficient for a month.
Enjoy your trip.
Sandy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Hi Netty,
You won't have a problem with your gas, when you arrive at the tunnel and check in you are directed to an office where someone will check your bottles to ensure that they (bottles) are turned off.
Two bottles should be more than enough for 4plus weeks, an 11kg propane bottle usually lasts me about 21/24 days and that is using it for cooking, and fridge as I do not use campsites, if you do run short of gas just go to a supermarket and purchase a gas bottle, if you want you can return the bottle before you leave France and get your deposit back (just remember to keep your reciept for this)
Have a good trip
Bill :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Netty,
You won't have a problem with your gas, when you arrive at the tunnel and check in you are directed to an office where someone will check your bottles to ensure that they (bottles) are turned off.
Two bottles should be more than enough for 4plus weeks, an 11kg propane bottle usually lasts me about 21/24 days and that is using it for cooking, and fridge as I do not use campsites, if you do run short of gas just go to a supermarket and purchase a gas bottle, if you want you can return the bottle before you leave France and get your deposit back (just remember to keep your reciept for this)
Have a good trip
Bill :Smile:

you forgot to mention you will also need to buy a regulator for the french bottle.:Doh:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
No problems,we have used the tunnel lots of times.
Cylinders have to be turned off at the cylinder valve and this will be checked by tunnel staff.No need for the bottles to be disconnected.
Bottles are full at 80%

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Gas Bottle

Been on the Tunnel several times and each time a little slip of a girl looked at our gas bottles and put her little hand on the turn off valve supposeedly ? to turn them off which they already were ,I doubt if she could have done it anyway, so dont worry it wont be a problem. Why not buy a gas bottle in France ? they are available at most Garages and certainly at Supermarket petrol stations, I bought a lightweight see through Butane cylinder in France last week complete with a free regulator for 8 euros ,yes 8 euros and it is said to contain 10 kgs [ 20 ltrs ??] of gas. Happy travels ,Malc.:Eeek::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back