Toll Roads in Spain and Portugal (1 Viewer)

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
We plan on driving from Santander to the Algarve in October, mostly through Spain as it has fewer tolls apparently. Looking at the information on toll roads I am confused as to the best way to deal with the tolls. Anyone any experience of these and suggestions as to the best way to pay them?

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Stick your credit card into machine, they take one payment and if you make another journey on a toll road within a month they take payment automatically from the card. Job done.:)

jetjem

Free Member
May 8, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 04
Exp
It's just like Billy23 says use the bank card method or avoid toll roads.
We missed the card m/c both ways!!!
But they were very helpful and sorted it out for us, apparently we were not the first.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Billy is your man!

His knowledge is perfect for the electronic toll roads.

There are also some old fashioned toll roads (heading north) which use toll booths as they do in France and Spain.

At night some of these aren't manned and use bank cards (and maybe cash?)

I don't use toll roads in Portugal when driving my van(s)...

JJ

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I don't know but I think your replies are concerning Portugal, in Spain it's cash or card at the booths, some manned others automatic Machines to pay. Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I don't know but I think your replies are concerning Portugal, in Spain it's cash or card at the booths, some manned others automatic Machines to pay. Pete

Yes you are right, I did explain about Portugal and not Spain, I travel from Seville area to Santander on a regular basis, from my house it is dual carriage way...all the way, but I don't use toll road as not necessary or required.

So on the way from Santander to Portugal, the first toll road I would hit, would be Portugal.

True, I should have asked which way they are travelling, through France ( long boring journey if you are on a straight drive through) or boat to Santander ( my preferred route, get on boat, eat, sleep.....hello Spain) (y):)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have gone all the way from Santander down to Portugal and the length of the Algarve and back again without ever using a toll road.
As said above the road through Spain is excellent non-toll motorway.
Once you cross into Portugal, the N125? Is not a great road and can be a bit busy. But hey, you're not normally going far from place to place on the Algarve and it's not like you're in a rush is it?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Earlier in the year we travelled from Santander to south-east coast on the Med, and then around the coast to Portugal.

As mentioned, it's perfectly feasible to avoid toll roads. However, we found the ones in Spain were a delight to drive on and mostly traffic-free. We were surprised to discover we were apparently only being charged the same price as a car (the van is plated 3,500kg, 5.99m long and 2.76m high), and the costs were very reasonable in our opinion - significantly cheaper than France or Portugal on the whole. The only exception was the tolls west of Malaga, along the Costa del Sol, seemed a bit more expensive.

The tolls were dearer in Portugal, more on a par with France, we thought. And as others have mentioned, there are 2 different systems in place, on different motorways - but all easy to cope with.

We used an Aqua credit card with a net-exchange rate (ie no foreign currency loading) everywhere in Spain and Portugal, and everything worked out fine.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Get a Halifax Clarity credit card - it gives the best rates.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Get a Halifax Clarity credit card - it gives the best rates.
Halifax Clarity and Aqua both have the same net exchange rate. You also get 'cashback' with the Aqua, not sure if that is the case with the Clarity card?

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back