Rmb 670 German a class on gumtree (1 Viewer)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Is the owner on here ?

20 years old and asking 25k

I can't post a link but go take a look

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Guys called stu James I believe it was advertised with no price so i emailed an enquiry and he said 25k

Seems an awful lot of money for a 20 year old van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its not mine. Sounds a well speced van though. Not heavy enough for my now needs.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Guys called stu James I believe it was advertised with no price so i emailed an enquiry and he said 25k

Seems an awful lot of money for a 20 year old van
That was the guy who left a deposit on my 670 and then pulled out of the deal....How strange.

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
He makes it dound nice with his over detailed description ( ie every hinge is brass or stainless steel) but really it's not got much higher spec than most German vans I think I'd rather have a 8 yr old burstner 747 for that money with 20k on the clock easier to resell obtain parts and more space.

I certainly wouldn't pay that money for it

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The write-up could have been written by me with a few subtle changes.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
He makes it dound nice with his over detailed description ( ie every hinge is brass or stainless steel) but really it's not got much higher spec than most German vans I think I'd rather have a 8 yr old burstner 747 for that money with 20k on the clock easier to resell obtain parts and more space.

I certainly wouldn't pay that money for it
Just out of interest, have you ever been close up to an RMB. Most of the quality cannot be seen. They are a little like boats. An entry level boat and a quality boat are only defined by close examination.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I think he must have dropped the price!! ;)

upload_2014-8-17_12-50-39.png

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What age is yours snowbirds?

Looks bigger
The one I recently sold was a 1990. The one I have now is a 1998. The 670 was on the Merc 4.6 ton chassis. The one I have now is on the Merc Vario coach chassis at 7.5 ton. Its exactly 1 metre longer, with the same bar version layout. I must admit, the quality although is still good on the newer model. Its not as good as the old one.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
8 year old Burstner... one of many coming off the prodution line.

20 year old RMB hand built to the original owner's spec in a one piece, rot proof body.

I know which one I would buy.

But how come it needed a new engine?

Strange.

JJ :cool:
And of course, what would the Burstner be worth if it managed to reach 20 years old.

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
That's my point though it may well have been built to the buyers specification

But looking at the photos the buyer had really bad taste ......The upholstery is terrible.

And the list of spec is pretty much standard on any decent van these days incidentally fibreglass isn't rot proof it does deteriorate I've a lotus in the garage with that problem :)

I wouldn't care what the burstner was worth in 20 years as I'd sell it long before that

I guess it's like cars I've had mercs bmw porsche jaguar ....Every one has cost more to run and service and I lost money on all of them when reselling

Every vw I've had cost less to buy and to run and never lost on them

I found mercs to be one of the worst for rust

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I wondered if it was Stu. Very odd chap indeed.

He asked me extensively for RMB advice on here via PM and email prior to putting a deposit on Dave's RMB. He said he wanted to import one and not buy Dave's. Then he went quiet, contacted Dave and then disappeared.

I read the listing on eBay earlier and it sounded like Dave's prose. I could even have written similar.

Nice model, though. A 'crossover' combining RMB's revised body on the outgoing 410 chassis. Later models with that body used the new Sprinter running gear.

The example for sale looks in exceptional order. Any doubters really ought to take a very close look at them. As Dave said, there's so much to them under the skin. Mine has no rust whatsoever and is 22 years old.

Is it worth the money? I hope so.

The new engine could be down to the turbo blowing the head. It happens. They're low pressure units, though. No more than 0.5 bar. Shutting down early and over-revving accelerate wear bad engine load. They don't like it. Many have been known to blow, needing new heads at minimum. Then again, I've seen unblown 410 engines replaced. I attribute that to owners pushing them hard. They're not the quickest things around.

Consequently, I treat Udo with kid gloves. I idle him for a full minute before shutting down and I don't push him hard. There's no point. I may as well preserve what I do have rather than trying to get somewhere a little earlier.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All very odd, but what I can say is this. I agreed a price with the man as he contacted me before I advertised my van. When he pulled out of the deal, I advertised it adding 1K to the agreed price. It sold immediately and I wish I had 10 of em. I know for a fact if I was selling a 20 year old Bursner at a tenth of the price, I would still be paying storage charges on it.

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I still fail to see the superior build quality going from the pictures it's basic upholstery the cabinets are still laminated and look very similar to those in my old 94 euro mobil the door knobs and 3 burner cramer hob are definately the same from the spec list it has nothing out of the ordinary .....its each to their own I guess but looking at hymer, burstner euro mobil at same price range and I see newer more modern better fitted vans , il be interested to see how his ebay listing goes

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
All very odd, but what I can say is this. I agreed a price with the man as he contacted me before I advertised my van. When he pulled out of the deal, I advertised it adding 1K to the agreed price. It sold immediately and I wish I had 10 of em. I know for a fact if I was selling a 20 year old Bursner at a tenth of the price, I would still be paying storage charges on it.
I bought my burstner in 2010 a 2003 747/2 7 berth tag axle with 21000 miles on the clock for 25k and sold it 7 months later for 32k less than an hour after listing it

Likewise I wish I had 10 of them lol

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
The cabinets most definitely are not laminated. Let's be clear. They're all solid wood. Even my two internal doors are solid wood.

Yes, they look basic. Upholstery colour can be changed. The standard materials, though, are exceptionally hard wearing and very tough.

But as Dave and I have said, the quality is very much under the skin.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No one would question the build quality .. it looks superb.. but personally I think it is overpriced by about 10k .. you can buy the same in Germany for less money .. for example

Broken Link Removed

As for being 20 years old... I wouldn't worry about the coachwork or appliances.. quality is built in and appliances can be repaired or replaced easy enough.. but I would be concerned about the potential cost of repairs to the base vehicle.. ie .. engine, gearbox, transmission, suspension and brakes..

you may be lucky and have many years of trouble free driving.. or it goes 'bang' next week and leaves you with a hefty repair bill..

Bottom line.. it's worth what someone is prepared to pay for it .. I doubt it will get anywhere near the asking price... but good luck to him..

Broken Link Removed

PeteDenton

Free Member
Aug 23, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Merc Vario conversion
Exp
Limited
Good price or not, coming across this advert has rekindled my desire for a motorhome, brought me to this forum and made me appreciate the excellent quality these present (as an owner of several old Merc and Volvo cars in my past).

It's a long way from the old Hyundai H100 based conversion I ran for a while (engine blew up and repair was uneconomical).

My challenge now is to raise th funds then buy one, enjoy and have fun :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Now I just don't know who to believe...

Two Funsters who own RMBs and have opened and shut the cupboard doors and say they are real wood...

Or a Funster who has looked at photos and says they are laminated.

Have only had the pleasure of owning two RMBs, but have opened the cupboard doors of another 5 or 6 which I have looked at. I have yet to find one that not only has solid wood doors, but all doors are also faced with hardwood trim. Stainless steel taps and ceramic sinks also are the norm, non of that recycled carrier bag stuff in an RMB.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am a joiner and can say with confidence that Dave's is solid wood doors and trims (y):DNever seen a 16 yr old burnster to compare it to so cannot comment :)
terry

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Now I just don't know who to believe...

Two Funsters who own RMBs and have opened and shut the cupboard doors and say they are real wood...

Or a Funster who has looked at photos and says they are laminated.

Well JJ you know what they say "a photograph never lies" :rolleyes::)

Reactions: JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back