Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello

Am I right to think you need a vignette to enter Switzerland or is it only needed to use motorways?

Is it realistic to drive in Switzerland for a few days only (passing through 2 nights max) without using motorways?

Any idea on cost, we are over 3.5T, 5.0T I think you pay more for over 3.5 tons?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you only need it if you use motorways, however it also covers the cost of some of the tunnels if you are going to Italy for example, we bought one and never went on a motorway came in from Germany and out through France.

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
We tried not using motorways earlier this year...was a bloody nightmare. In the mountains the motorways and railways run in the valleys between towns . Setting the sat nav to no motorways took us over huge hills using single track roads to get to various overnight stops as there was only the motorway access in and out. After a couple of days we called at a post office and bought a vignette(about £25ish). It was so much quicker and easier after that. We just asked for a vignette they never asked about weight ,red for this year, and had no trouble. we are 4 tonnes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Over 3.5 tons you have to buy a daiky ticket, the best way was 10 days over a year and yu used to tick the day of it was about the same price as normal vignette. Its near enough impossible not to do motorways.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Hello

Am I right to think you need a vignette to enter Switzerland or is it only needed to use motorways?

Is it realistic to drive in Switzerland for a few days only (passing through 2 nights max) without using motorways?

Any idea on cost, we are over 3.5T, 5.0T I think you pay more for over 3.5 tons?

The definitive answer is here David and some Swiss 'motorways' are more like our A roads!
Broken Link Removed

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Last week we came from Austria through Lichtenstein to zurich , never got checked at border so did not get a vignette, all motorway driving, spent 1 night in Zurich then up to France,before we knew it we were in France. Had a scary moment at the swiss/French border but just waved through.
As they say,,you take your chance.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We went through Switzerland to Italy, and if like us your vehicle is over 3.5 tons you need to get the vignette ( actually an A4 sheet and not a tax disc) at the border. In our case it was Basle. The lady was very helpful but the concept of the system is confusing. You only need to pay for days when you're using the motorways/tunnels/passes. If you're on route to Itlay and not intending to stay in Switzerland just passing through both going and coming back, then in reality you only need purchase the vignette for two days.
However, we purchased about 5 days and we actually enjoyed Switzerland more than Italy (apart from the prices).
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
thanks all, glad I started asking now

The link seems to say you have to buy the pass locally if over 3.5T, for smaller vehicles you appear to be able to buy online before going

Can you remember roughly how much you paid?

Might just do as you did, arrive at the border and see what they say

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
After taking my missus and four kids with a land rover discovery plus four wheel caravan over the Furka pass in the eighties it will always be remembered as quite a traumatic event,
And too this day my family refer it as the F-----g pass after having a Italian jeep Cherokee take the side out the caravan coming down and around a hair pin bend at speed with no hope of slowing down,
Then to rub salt in the wound he continue down the mountain without a backward glance, but that's Italian drivers for you!

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
YIKES ! thats scary stuff, anyone else done the grimsel or furka passes ?

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Done the passes several times on a motorbike. That dont help though lol.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Broken Link Removed

looks like a 5T MH could be cheaper than 3.5T for a short stay

as far as I can work out we will have to pay the minimum charge of 25CHF, which will cover us for 30 days, compared to 33 CHF for an annual charge for 3.5T MH, CHF = 66p

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
thanks all, glad I started asking now

The link seems to say you have to buy the pass locally if over 3.5T, for smaller vehicles you appear to be able to buy online before going

Can you remember roughly how much you paid?

Might just do as you did, arrive at the border and see what they say

Over 3.5 ton can only be bought in Switzerland at the border as you enter. Price is dependent of number of days you require it for. Without digging my old diary out, from memory I think we paid either €36 or 36 Swiss Francs.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
YIKES ! thats scary stuff, anyone else done the grimsel or furka passes ?

Both at various times, largest van I've taken over was a Herald at 3.5T. Worth it and it's coming down that's the problem, you may need to stop (if fully laden) to let the brakes cool, but apart from that no real problems. Check that both passes are open if you intend crossing before mid to late May. The Swiss are 'super' efficient but even they take a bit of time to clear it after a larger than average snowfall.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I've just come through France into Switzerland a few days ago (via E25) towards Bern and Interlaken. Traffic was halted at the border and shepherded into channels - those WITH and those WITHOUT vignettes. I duly complied, bought one and felt happier, especially as I saw two 'Douanne/Zoll' marked motorbikes chase and pull over a panel van a few miles up the road!

It took all of 30 seconds to buy one from a ticket machine carrying lad with perfect English who wished us a pleasant stay in Switzerland.

I know there are those who say you never need one, but we just felt it ain't worth the hassle. Quickest way I've ever spent circa 40Chf !!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Vehicles over 3.5t don't pay a toll, they pay a "Heavy vehicle tax" this is payable for every day your vehicle is in Switzerland, whether on the roads or not. In practice people just tick of the days their on the roads on the sheet.

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Vehicles over 3.5t don't pay a toll, they pay a "Heavy vehicle tax" this is payable for every day your vehicle is in Switzerland, whether on the roads or not. In practice people just tick of the days their on the roads on the sheet.

Ian
Correct Ian...

motor homes up to a total weight of 3.5 t require a vignette. Where the total weight is greater than 3.5 t, the vehicle is subject to a lump-sum heavy vehicle fee, amounting to CHF 3.25 a day (minimum fee: CHF 25.00) and payable for using any of the public roads at any time of stay in Switzerland.

info here http://www.tolltickets.com/country/swiss/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB#articles

and here Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back