Too much free advertising for your Motorhome Checklist book (1 Viewer)

J

Jules8888

Deleted User
Sir,

Your advertising for The Motorhome Checklist is over the top.
I had given up coming to visit your site due to the repetitive nature of your free plugs of what may be a source of income for you and your site.
Nevertheless today I logged in to read the posts. Wherever I looked, your ads assaulted me and were a real obstacle to enjoying the site.

Am I the only member who feels like this?

Best wishes all,

Jules

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jules,
So sorry for the assault:Eeek: The check-list came about as way of funding the site after donations did not work, we sell one or two a week at a profit of around a fiver a time so every little bit helps. My signature advertising is bit big I suppose and I might revisit it.:Smile:

That said I am trying to figure out a way to configure the software so that you can only see the advert if you have not bought a copy of the checklist. I might make the signature even bigger then, but the remedy would be easy Jules ::bigsmile:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
... Wherever I looked, your ads assaulted me and were a real obstacle to enjoying the site.

I visit the site quite often and yes, I've seen the ads but simply don't notice them now... it's a bit like living next to a railway line, after a while you just don't hear the trains:winky:

Jules, the solution is to visit more often:thumb:

Jim... this has implications for your ad campaign... :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Cant see a problem with it myself.

This is a great site and a bit of plugging to help fund the FREE site can hardly upset anyone surely?:Doh::RollEyes:

Relax and enjoy the Fun:thumb:

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I also visit and post often, and to be honest I do not notice it either. But if that's what it takes to keep this site up and running so be it.
The site is free non profit making and the backroom stuff is done by volunteers.

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
This site is free.....you are getting a LOT for nothing.:Doh:

Someone has to pay for this superb site and a bit of advertising isnt doing any harm to anyone. Do you turn off the TV when the Halifax advert with the annoying fat bloke in glasses shows his face or do you ignore it??:Sad:

Keep it up Jim, its the material that this site contains and the free and helpful nature of its members not to mention the FUN that goes on here that is important not the odd advert that a very very small minority of users finds a problem.

If it keeps the site running and makes it free for all...................keep doing it!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Hi Jules I read it once now never notice this item BUT you have now done it eveyone will now see this .
Its like Mary Whitehouse or anyone banning a Film or record:Eeek:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
I suspect your post may be a little counter productive for you Jules...

can't see Jim complaining about the extra exposure though:ROFLMAO:

lets keep it Free ......and friendly:winky:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Well I've got a

Motorhome Checklist.

As others have said, it costs money to support these sites and the only other way would be to charge a subscription for members.

I think the idea of turning this off for owners of the checklist is a good idea.

I really don't notice it now :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::RollEyes:

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
What Ads ?? ::bigsmile:

You've got a FREE site and yer complaining because there are ads on it ? Unbelievable! :Doh: I suggest you enjoy the site (which the ads help pay for ) or pay £10 a year and stay on the "other side". :restmycase:

Keep up the good work Jim. You have defo got my support! :clap::clap:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

Cant see the problem with it. In fact its all helpful stuff and you only see it when you want to.

Ive opened up a few adverts and found them to be another scource of help.

I would hate to hear from you if there was really something to complain about.

Dont forget that this site is free to users and it has to be paid for some how, your looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Cheers

Jim :Smile: Its FUN :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun

I really love that song, must have been a while ago though as Jim has no hair now (or since he opened this site:roflmto:) I believe there is a mobile syrup shop you could call in Jim to regain your youth.

Boy do I miss my long hair and blonde highlights:Doh::RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Might give em a call myself:thumb:

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
To be frank I expected more in the series. Titles like "20 ways to deal with CC Club wardens" "42 ways to empty the Thetford" or "macerators in 10 slippery steps" :thumb:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
cannot see a problem.keep up the good work jim :thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Errrmm? I have given up reading the free content on your site, that I joined for free, as you are advertising somthing for a fiver that I have the choice to ignore?

I wonder sometimes I really do:Doh:

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Sir,

I had given up coming to visit your site due to the repetitive nature of your free plugs of what may be a source of income for you and your site.
Nevertheless today I logged in to read the posts. Wherever I looked, your ads assaulted me and were a real obstacle to enjoying the site.

Best wishes all,

Jules

Probably yes, are you a mole from the other side, you get something for free and then moan. Tell me do you turn your tele off when the adverts come on. Anyway got that out of my system and it cost you nout.:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
You can pay a tenner a year and get MORE adverts on another forum I can think of. :roflmto:

It would give you more adverts to complain about. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry but i could be missing something here.........the only ad for the checklist that i can see is in Jim's signature.:winky:
when i read posts by Jim, i read the post.........not his signature. :thumb:

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Do you turn off the TV when the Halifax advert with the annoying fat bloke in glasses shows his face or do you ignore it??:Sad:

Although I am not Jules I must say that I *never* watch 'live' commercial TV and so I never see the adverts .... I whizz through them when I watch the recorded programme ..... whizz whizz whizz .... what fat bloke? ........I also must say that I hadn't taken much, if any, notice of the advert here that is being complained about: I saw the thing but didn't actually read what it said so didn't realise that it was actually an advert for something: well, I have now! ........... maybe I am a bit dense ...... no need for anyone to comment on that ........ anyway I wonder what that says for the power of advertising ..... I did used to watch some of the telly adverts but when they extended the ad. time so that in a half hour programme the ad time is just about as long as the programme time and they just go on and on and on and on I decided enough was enough and stopped watching them .... if anyone has read this far maybe I can interest you in a special offer I have on some excellent ( censored ) ..................

S

stagman

Deleted User
Sir,

Best wishes all,

Jules
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM a bit Petty I think

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sir,

Best wishes all,

Jules

YEP...would appear so.

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
To be honest, I had to look around the site to even try to find the offending advert - if that's "assault" then I reckon you must work for the CPS - they also have some very strange notions of what actually constitutes an "offence" ........:ROFLMAO:

fyggy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
In a brick built
Funster No
MH
Merc 316CDi
Exp
I didn't find it ott, in fact, I got so interested in it, I bought a copy. (excellent book Jim, thanks, ... It arrived safely the other day) :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You do realise that Joules, is Jim's alter ego and having sold two more check lists as a direct result of this post it appears to be working
Keep it up Jim:thumb:

fyggy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
In a brick built
Funster No
MH
Merc 316CDi
Exp
sorry Geo, I ordered and received mine before this post. It's an excellent book btw. It's going to my mother for Chrimbo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back