KNOWHOW Mobile Broadband 3-in-1 SIM Card (1 Viewer)

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
At Broken Link Removed.
"Access the internet in the UK and over 40 countries abroad
Standard & Micro & Nano SIM card
1 month rolling contract
Four data plans available"

For example, 5GB for £15.99 in UK, Italy, Portugal, Spain and some other countries (but only 500MB in France)

Looks like a good alternative to Three in those countries where their 'like home' data plan doesn't apply.

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years

I can't see that there would be a problem with a MiFi, since it says "The 3-in-1 SIM card is compatible with any unlocked 3G or 4G-enabled product, such as tablets and laptops." Tethering to a phone, I don't know.

As I read it, it's 500MB in France, not 5500MB. A couple of people here agree.

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
You get 10% more in France and other countries listed. To quote Curry's website- "So if you sign up for the 5 GB data plan, you will have 500 MB per month on top of your standard plan to use in these countries."
The provider is Globalgig (using 3 network in the UK)
I might give it a try, but will go instore first to see if I can use it in my phone and tether to my Nexus.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
You get 10% more in France and other countries listed. To quote Curry's website- "So if you sign up for the 5 GB data plan, you will have 500 MB per month on top of your standard plan to use in these countries."
The provider is Globalgig (using 3 network in the UK)
I might give it a try, but will go instore first to see if I can use it in my phone and tether to my Nexus.

Incorrect. I just confirmed my interpretation with customer support (Phone: 0 3333 010 041). On the 5GB plan you get the full allowance only in the core countries UK, Italy, Spain, Portugal and others, and only 500MB in France, Belgium, Germany etc. I admit it's poorly worded on the Currys site.

More info Broken Link Removed.

Jotel

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2004
I can't see that the Curry's website can be open to any interpretation at all: ....""So if you sign up for the 5 GB data plan, you will have 500 MB per month on top of your standard plan to use in these countries." and.... "Your chosen data plan gives you an additional (my emphasis) 10% data per month to use in the following countries:...." (includes France & Germany.

How do Curry's Customer Support explain that there "interpretation" completely disagrees with what the website states.? Just a thought.

Steve_UK

Free Member
May 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Clubman GL
Exp
Since May 2012
I can't see that the Curry's website can be open to any interpretation at all: ....""So if you sign up for the 5 GB data plan, you will have 500 MB per month on top of your standard plan to use in these countries." and.... "Your chosen data plan gives you an additional (my emphasis) 10% data per month to use in the following countries:...." (includes France & Germany.

How do Curry's Customer Support explain that there "interpretation" completely disagrees with what the website states.? Just a thought.

I also read it originally as having the "base" amount of data plus the extra in France etc. However, if you look carefully the list of countries in which you can use the 5GB (or whatever the plan you choose) does not include France (or Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, etc., etc.).

In fact, when you look at the country list carefully, it seems to me to be a very expensive option if you travel Europe to any extent!

Fingers crossed it may soon get better for all of us, so long as the proposed pan-European use of your inclusive minutes & data actually happens!

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Don't know about the above, Three nano sim, 3gb was £19.95 with same cost to use in France as UK. But no idea what the coverage will be like, but thought I would try it, at least can't run up large bills.

Anyone know how what Three is like in France

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know about the above, Three nano sim, 3gb was £19.95 with same cost to use in France as UK. But no idea what the coverage will be like, but thought I would try it, at least can't run up large bills.

Anyone know how what Three is like in France
Didn't have any probs when we used it there

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

there is a difference between a data sim and a phone sim, the phone sim cannot be used in a mifi unit you do need a data sim.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
there is a difference between a data sim and a phone sim, the phone sim cannot be used in a mifi unit you do need a data sim.
The answer is not as simple as that. The SIMs are identical in every way (other than getting the right size). But it depends what the supplier has set it up for. Some suppliers are very flexible, some are not. For example you can get it a Giffgaff SIM and decide whether to use it for data, phone calls or both. So you can put it in a phone or a mifi unit. Some other suppliers limit a SIM to a particular tarriff "deal", be it for calls or data or both. However these are becoming increasingly less common with the advent of smartphones, and even then you can normally change them to a different tarriff.

The important thing if you have a mifi is to make sure that you are on a good data tarriff (otherwise it will cost you a fortune) and that you are allowed to use it for "tethering"

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the difference as you say is what the sim is set up to do (y)...i was trying to keep it simple... :doh:

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
Currys are now offering this for £4.99 including the first month's data.

Broken Link Removed

Online only, not in store.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
For us less knowledgable ones, how long does 500mb last ? Can you listen to the radio in France , not interested in tv/films etc just emails and tourist imformation stuff where to go etc. would this 500 be gone in a day or a week ? Cheers Colyn

Printermick

Free Member
Dec 13, 2013
peterborough
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
just started
I bought a wifi dongle with 1gb of data for 1 month and used only about 250mb surfing, e-mails and google maps.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Cheers , is radio a heavy use ? Just get a bit fed up sometimes with the french radio stations.

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Cheers, so listening to Chris Evans in the morning in France would soon knock a hole in our allowance . I wrongly thought radio would be a light use of allowance.

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
If you have a satellite dish you can get some UK radio through that, I believe, as long as you're not too far south.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi we have a free standing dish that goes on a tripod but it takes us a life time to set up and takes up a lot of room in the van. Also not sure they would want it set up on an aire. May have to invest in a lw radio. Cheers

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Oh well it's french radio then, ha ha. We have tried the sat dish and tripod in France before but the length of time it takes for us to set it up I get p---ed off before we get any reception so it sits in the garage at home. The price of a dome etc is to much for us so I better stock up with paper backs . Cheers

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Currys are now offering this for £4.99 including the first month's data.

Broken Link Removed

Online only, not in store.

Not available at that price any more, just as well I ordered mine for site pick up today at last nights £4.99 price. I use globalgig at the moment but on a yearly contract 1gb for £20, doesn't end till November but couldn't resist this offer while it was on. I will finish the yearly one in November.
Worth it for the 2 sims as I have just finished another contract with 3 as I can't use that in spain or Portugal.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Oh well it's french radio then, ha ha. We have tried the sat dish and tripod in France before but the length of time it takes for us to set it up I get p---ed off before we get any reception so it sits in the garage at home. The price of a dome etc is to much for us so I better stock up with paper backs . Cheers

what you using to set up? i have a free standing tripod dish as its cheaper, and you dont have to park in the open to get a signal you can move the dish. never takes me more than 10 - 15 minutes from openning the locker to TV reception. but i have invested in a decent sat finder.(y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi, we have a free standing tripod set up with the 80cm dish . I would add that we are crap with technology , we can not even tune the radio in our car it went off station and never came back we do not switch it on any more.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back