Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

Just looking to join one of the clubs - Camping and Caravanning Club or The Caravan Club....

With regards to member benefits, which one would you guys go for?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We go for the CC, only because the facilitates tend to be of a high standard at every site....Just a whim really. Plus, you can choose your own spot, unlike the C&CC

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It depends why you wish to join either of them
We belong to both and have done for 20 years or so.
Don't really use the Caravan Club now so may drop that one next year except that we use a CL near to Dover when we are going to France or Spain.
We use the Camping Club more as we book a Winter Rally in Spain and used one of the Temporary Holiday Sites last week in Norfolk.

Mike

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just thought --you have to be in the C&CC to get RAC arivals

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cheers guys.

We don't intend to leave Scotland really, so overseas benefits won't really matter.

The CC do seem to have some nice looking sites for sure...(y)

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Cheers guys.

We don't intend to leave Scotland really, so overseas benefits won't really matter.

They do and for many years we used the spotless facilities too but CL's are more to our liking and have less rigid rules and regs which can sometimes be irksome though I'm sure many on here love parking with the drivers side rear 125cms from the peg and 125 cms to the right. OK I'm exaggerating, if clean, quiet and regulated are your bag it has to be the CC but try out soem of the CL's to some of them really are superb and at a price we can afford.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we are members of both

cc for their sites, both the big ones and the 5 van ones

c&cc for other sites and local rallies and nationwide holiday rallies, which are great on a budget £5-£8 a night. plus better RAC cover and rates

Upvote 0

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I was a member of both but have just dropped CC because I realised I'm only really using C&CC these days. I go out witn their local DA a lot, CC you have to book and I'm not that organised. l also use a lot of their tempory holiday sites which are always good value for money.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We are members of the CC.
Their sites are of a high standard, and it doesn't matter which one you go to, they are all pretty similar. Some of the rules can be a little strict, but playing "kiss the silly stick" after a long drive can be fun - especially if one of the guards wardens is watching :roflmto:

We looked at joining MCC, and joined their Facebook Group. However, some of the ideas / people / shenanigans has left us in no doubt that we want absolutely nothing to do with them. I'll be starting a separate thread when I get time !

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Cancelled my membership of the CC&C when they altered their pricing ! Now you only find the price when you arrive and experience taught me that they were up to 75% dearer than last year !!!!

Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We use C&cc . Mainly use their CS's which have been good so far & no silly rules about how to park.
Also their home ins. Is good, allowing us to be away for long periods without problems covering the house(didn't realise most companies only cover for 30 days absence).
Mind you I agree with the earlier post re the new pricing structure. Bloody over complicated madness in my opinion.
That will keep us away from their big main sites (apart from their emptying/refilling service for £7ish).

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Cheers guys.

Hi
We're in both, have been for 20 odd years. If you are thinking of using club sites rather than cl's/cs's and you opt for the cc you may find that you need to book quite a way in advance. I put this down to the fact that they don't ask for a deposit so people book weekends up months in advance, assuming they will be able to make it. There's not really a penalty if you cancel.

When we were working we didn't know till a few days before hand that we could definitely get away. It can make for a frustrating few days ringing round trying to find a pitch. The online system isn't always accurate as we have been told by several wardens that they keep spare pitches.

We use cls/cs's most of the time now - many have the same facilities as club sites and are usually cheaper.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2012
South East Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
C&CC. We use the CS most and also love Hertford site. Also member of the Folk Dance and Song Group section- have attended some of their meets.Don't know if the CC have interest sections? I agree that booking for a weekend or one night can be frustrating for the big sites, but usually ok for CS.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thats great, thanks everyone.

It seems there's a definite split down the middle.

If I was not a member of either can I still fill up/empty at one of their sites?

And, in fact, is it worth it in Scotland?

Do the two clubs have 'other' benefits other than site access? Discounts, etc..

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We are members of the CC.
Their sites are of a high standard, and it doesn't matter which one you go to, they are all pretty similar. Some of the rules can be a little strict, but playing "kiss the silly stick" after a long drive can be fun - especially if one of the guards wardens is watching :roflmto:

We looked at joining MCC, and joined their Facebook Group. However, some of the ideas / people / shenanigans has left us in no doubt that we want absolutely nothing to do with them. I'll be starting a separate thread when I get time !

Nice and have a like!

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We're members of both.

Can't separate the two. We book on location rather than club preference.

On balance, we've used more CC sites this year but only because they were in the areas we were visiting.

The CC rule of no pitch pre-booking works if you get to the site early. It's a right sod if you're travelling with friends and wish to be together. First come, first served and no concessions. I do find that annoying. The C&CC are better in that regard.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're members of both.

Can't separate the two. We book on location rather than club preference.

On balance, we've used more CC sites this year but only because they were in the areas we were visiting.

The CC rule of no pitch pre-booking works if you get to the site early. It's a right sod if you're travelling with friends and wish to be together. First come, first served and no concessions. I do find that annoying. The C&CC are better in that regard.

Is there one of them that has better/more sites in Scotland? Particularly Northern Scotland.

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have a look on their websites - both clubs have a mix of non-members/members only sites. It just means you pay more if you are a non member. You can normally join on site if you like it. I don't think you have to be a member to use the campsite search facility on their websites.

The caravan & camping club website search shows all sites (apart from the cc), not sure about the cc website.

If you have kiddies the c&cc always did a family deal.

Upvote 0

Allegro83

Free Member
Jul 20, 2010
Balfron, Stirling
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer L
Exp
15 years
We have been members to both for many years and using whichever suited the place we wanted to be in. Preference for CC in that you can choose your own pitch but enjoyed both until this year when we changed our vehicle (7m) and now have a panel van conversion (6m).
The C&CC allocate pitches to the size of your Motorhome, whilst we have no problem with this if the shorter pitch still gets daylight and somewhere to sit out however recently we found we were given the 'Runt' pitch at C&CC Luss. Dark, dank and dreary with nowhere to sit next to the camper. We said we were unhappy with this and asked to move but were told No. As we'd booked for 3 nights the next morning with many empty pitches we asked again but were again refused and the wardens had wagging fingers and raised voices. They did say we could have money back and seemed shocked when we said Yes please.
So be warned if you decide to join C&CC always be 7.5m and tick you will have an awning.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Merle Collins

Merle Collins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Orkney
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Which one of them has a MH size restriction? That should make my mind up....

Upvote 0

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
I dropped out of the Camping & Caravanning Club because if you book on one of their sites and have to cancel you now lose your deposit unless you give a minimum of 30 days notice!

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
What about the Motor Caravanners Club?

Upvote 0

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
What about the Motor Caravanners Club?

Gizmouk on here has I guess by his post in this thread, some thing to say about the MCC;
I'll be interested in the thread he's going to open when he's time.........

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Neither! We used to be in the CC and did consider the C&CC but we found that we stopped using the CC's main sites as they were expensive and we didn't like the feeling of all the 'eyes' watching our every move especially since we have dogs, therefore CLs were the only ones we used. We never bothered joining the C&CC as we didn't like the 'attitude' of the 'guards' who despite our being willing to join there and then, were insistent that we could only park on a certain pitch despite others which were much nicer being available, we therefore declined the 'offer' and didn't join either! We haven't bothered with joining for a while though as we go abroad most of the time on aires or wild camp which suits us fine, or just wild camp in the UK. In fact we're shortly going up to Scotland for a couple of weeks or so and intend to wild camp.

It will really depend on how you intend to use any sites, whether you want to stay in one spot for a while, or move around, what facilities you want/need etc. We are pretty much self sufficient with solar panel, 2 leisure batteries and refillable gas bottle so our need for external 'power' is minimal anyway.

If we were to join one again we might give the C&CC a try simply to make use of their temporary sites occasionally for which you don't normally have to book in advance or belong to a regional centre as you do with the CC.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back