Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I want to get an external water pump fitted instead of the submersible type. My question is that as my taps have micro switches on them do they have to be replaced as well....Any recommendations for water pump.

Shirl

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no you can run a fixed internal pump on microswitches by bypassing the pressure switch. alternatively it can be wired as a pressure operated system bypassing the microswitches, which is better

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I would say the taps will be ok, though you might want to remove the wiring.
If you are looking for a surflo pump I have a brand new unused one going for around half new price plus postage if you are interested.

:cooler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One thing to be aware of, external pumps can be significantly noisier than submersible pumps which may be an issue for you.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
What's wrong with the standard Reich submersible fitted in the Hymer? I have found it to be reliable, quiet and sufficiently powerful. And it's cheaper than the Shureflo to replace.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My sister has one in her hymer and its not too noisy.

It's all relative. The submersible pump on our last van was a lot quieter than either the external pump I fitted or the external pump on my present van.

Biggest downside to submersible pumps is that they're not self-priming.

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I would say the taps will be ok, though you might want to remove the wiring.
If you are looking for a surflo pump I have a brand new unused one going for around half new price plus postage if you are interested.

:cooler:
What are the specs of the pump. I am not sure what I need..

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
It's all relative. The submersible pump on our last van was a lot quieter than either the external pump I fitted or the external pump on my present van.

Biggest downside to submersible pumps is that they're not self-priming.
I have trouble every time with the submersible.. drives me insane. More time is spent getting water to come through taps..then when all seems ok...splutter splutter...by the time I have fiddled with the pump again half the water in my tank is gone...

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Okay, clearly some systems are better designed than on our old Sundance. :D

On that, if the tank ran dry, I always had to "break" the water circuit near the tank to eliminate an air-lock.

I wonder if that is a pump difference or a plumbing layout difference? I would consider "downgrading" from my present external pump if I could be sure of not having priming problems.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Something wrong with either the pump or the joints in the system then. A new Reich will cost about £40 and once fitted correctly, should work perfectly. As I said above, I have never had a problem with mine, although I fitted a new one two years ago, but that was simply because I thought the old one might fail at some future point and I was carrying a new spare around anyway so swapped them. One thing to check is whether the non-return valve that is part on the outlet feed on the pump is still working. They can fail and then the water will keep flowing back into the tank, creating air-locks (the symptoms you describe). The solution is either to get a new pump (the model with NRV) or fit an extra NRV in the pipework. Howver, there is little room above the pump to fit this so it would probably have to be outside the pump. I would fit a new pump if it was me.
This is the one you need: Link Removed

p.s. this is in answer to con-tiki's last post

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Thanks for the info. The pump is probably the original one as it is labelled hymer. It has 2 hoses that go into the tank...one is the pump the other? its not labelled but perhaps NRV ? its about the same size as the pump which has probably past its sell by date. Think I will go for the submersible and see how it goes.

I notice the reich pump only uses 1 hose connection. What do I do with the other hose I have that goes into the tank

Thanks everyone for your input

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Does the other hose dip into the tank or is it just connected to the top? It may just be an overflow.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
What's wrong with the standard Reich submersible fitted in the Hymer? I have found it to be reliable, quiet and sufficiently powerful. And it's cheaper than the Shureflo to replace.
My submersible is fine, in the Hymer, however the cold micro switch in the bathroom mixer/shower tap is U/S, and its cheaper to get a Whale diaphragm or a surflow then to buy a new tap assembly. :(:(

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
You need a "non return valve" fitted in line just by the tank outlet. All your troubles will be over. They cost about £ 4. The same pump as the Hymer is made by Reich, except no non return valve, so you need one.
I fitted on on my Hymer starline and all the spluttering just disappeared.
Phil

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I would fit the Sureflo and forget about micro switches etc;)they are a pain :)
terry

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The same pump as the Hymer is made by Reich, except no non return valve, so you need one.
Phil

message for con-tiki,
The Reich twin barrel pump is available in two models: with, or without non-return valve. If you decide to replace yours, just make sure you get the correct model as shown in my previous post link to Marcle Leisure (supplier). The second pipe leading to the tank top is a breather - make sure you connect the pump to the correct pipe! If you need any pictures of the installation or more info just ask.

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009

Attachments

• P8150063.JPG
    P8150063.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 15

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That seems a really odd set-up. I think both are pumps and neither is the standard 19 litres/minute twin-barreled model. I have to admit to being a bit stumped - what year is your Hymer?
The pump on the right in your picture does not appear to be connected to a pipe so I cannot imagine what it is doing.

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
That seems a really odd set-up. I think both are pumps and neither is the standard 19 litres/minute twin-barreled model. I have to admit to being a bit stumped - what year is your Hymer?
The pump on the right in your picture does not appear to be connected to a pipe so I cannot imagine what it is doing.

I am a bit stumped/confused myself
P8150064.JPG
P8150069.JPG
P8150068.JPG

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I fear that someone has done a DIY bodge on that. If it is a screw post connecter block that I can see in the middle picture, that is not a standard Hymer installation. I'll take some pictures of mine after lunch so you can see what it should look like.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Looks to me like someone has tried to add a second pump to boost flow but the pipe liking the tank cap to one of the pumps has fallen off. Most likely it's lying in the bottom of the tank with or without a non-return valve. Reconnecting the second pump (and adding a non-return valve if necessary) to the extra pump might solve your problems.

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Looks to me like someone has tried to add a second pump to boost flow but the pipe liking the tank cap to one of the pumps has fallen off. Most likely it's lying in the bottom of the tank with or without a non-return valve. Reconnecting the second pump (and adding a non-return valve if necessary) to the extra pump might solve your problems.

Jeez..Dinnae tell me I have tae go oot again and look....lol

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Here is the standard installation (at least from around 1999 onwards - not sure about earlier ones, or indeed, the very latest).
Note that the pump is much bigger than either in your pictures and it connects to only one pipe. The second pipe is a breather which goes to the filler nozzle - you can see this in pictures 1 and 3.
(Ignore the loop of pipe between the two blue spigots - they are left over from an emergency repair in France a few years ago when the tank cap that holds the pump failed. That is why I have 'shorted them out' with a short pipe loop. They form no part of the correct installation.)
In the middle picture you can see how the pump is hung in the tank. It should be vertical and not resting on the bottom. The pump is fixed to the pipe by a nylon screw collet - also the pipe to tank top. These are hard to come by and not supplied with the pump. Also not supplied with the pump is the plastic anti-grit grille on the bottom inlet of the pump - white in mine. This is available separately but you can transfer it from the old pump if it is the same size. The braided pipe linking the pump to the tank top is 10mm internal diameter. Ideally it needs to be 17-18mm outside dia but the only supply I could find was 16mm OD so I packed it with a few turns of PTFE tape. Unless the collet fits snugly, the pump will drop off the pipe in use - a push fit alone (like yours has at the moment) will not suffice. In fact, this push fit could also be a source of air leakage on yours as the water level in the tank falls.

Apart from Marcle Leisure, you could try CAK in Kenilworth for parts, or talk to Peter Hambilton in Preston to see if he can supply.

Hope this helps.

DSC_4481_01.JPG
DSC_4482_01.JPG
DSC_4483_01.JPG

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Got the new pump. Just one little question...The power supply ...This is connected via spade ends, but I am puzzled ..Before I disconnected the current power connectors I noticed that brown wire went to blue on the other side and the blue went to brown on the other side of the connector..surely this is wrong...I have included a pic before I disconnected the old pumps
P8200072.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back