Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Officially no
There is always somewhere in front behind or a strip of grass so long as you don't prevent someone else parking.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Officially, no you can't. Aires are for Motorhome parking and not camping. Having said that, a lot depends on how strictly the rules are applied at any given time and location.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We normally see what other folk are doing and take it from there, we have had the chairs and awning out at some aires, but at others wouldn't do it, we find the small village aires are more relaxed than the town center aires where you are often just staying on a mixed vehicle car park.
As for the rules the answer is No, as is using your stabilizers, that constitutes camping and is not allowed on aires, hence no tuggers. (and travelers).
We have never been ' pulled' for using our chairs or awning, we have used the Cadac/ BBQ now and then but only on aires that are very relaxed and usually where others are doing the same or facilities are provided.
When arriving on an aire look to park in a spot adjacent to some grass to give you a 'relaxing' area. (y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
All has been said really - do as the local camping caristes do. But, be prepared for them to want to park close to you if the aire is busy. This can be a bit disconcerting at first, because if there's room, they'll park - no 6 metre rule on aires!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As above... if there is space and you are not annoying anyone get the chairs and table out .. just don't light a babri on the tar-mac :LOL:

I've seen a 48hr rule .. but has anyone actually seen the 'rules' that say no chairs,awning, etc ? I'm not disputing them.. just never seen them on aires.. only on forums.

.. I've seen all sorts on aires, including a gazebo put up by a group of four French who parked one on each side.. and had a party under the gazebo..

I've had vans parked so close you couldn't open the windows.. I've shared our awning with a French van.. and then shared the BBQ ...

don't get tied down with rules.. just use common sense.. and chill out like the French do

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
All has been said really - do as the local camping caristes do. But, be prepared for them to want to park close to you if the aire is busy. This can be a bit disconcerting at first, because if there's room, they'll park - no 6 metre rule on aires!

Yes indeed.. however this sign is at Broken Link Removed

DSC_5403.jpg

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I stopped in an aire in La Turballe (south coast of Brittany) a few weeks ago where the sign at the bourne clearly stated no camping items to be placed outside of the motorhome.
As previous posters have said - observe what the other motorhomers do.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i cant believe someone as experienced as you flyingscotsman2 dont know the rules about a aire
what a plonker :(

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We have been on aires galore. Do as the others do, probably not a good idea to light up a charcoal barbie, but a gas cadac in the right place has always worked for us.
Have been on aires during bank hols where you almost have to go through other vans to get to your own. Sometimes they are empty, so use your loaf.
Phil

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Many French eat outside their vans. They will place a table and chairs either in from or behind. After the meal these are packed away. It is leaving stuff out that is a real no no.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Who is going to complain, if it's a free one you very rarely see anyone in charge, and if it's paid he usually just comes first thing in a morning and goes again, just my opinion , as we only go out of season, it's perhaps different but we have never seen a full one and always sit outside if it's fit.

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
I enjoy when aires are full lots of people with the same hobby just like a rally and lots of vans to see and compare

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just got back from a five week trip in Germany and France using Aires and Stellpazas. As mentioned when space is available chairs are out along with small Cadics. Germany Stellpazas are of a size for van and awning so chairs and table out. In fact i asked the manger for a bollard to reserve our space as we were nipping out and he told us to put our chairs and table across the pitch. So all in all just go with the flow

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
This was at Gruissan port aire during a French bank holiday weekend in September. Just had to get off the main road and ended up here. Yes it was packed, but once in place we had the best time ever. It was Gruissan festival weekend, we saw live bands every night, drinks at 1€ a pop, easy walk into town from the aire, got on well with the French, and the aire, next to the port was Brilliant. So to answer your question, yes we really enjoyed it.
Lifes full of surprises !
Phil

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We were at Brantome a few weeks ago, everyone who had chairs/tables/awnings out were told to put them away by a Guard de Ville. We were parked right by the river and had our chairs on the grass bank, he left us alone.

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
Ive had a van park so close that i couldn't close my already open window! (I have the type of windows you have to push out a bit to release the catch)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
We have been on aires galore. Do as the others do, probably not a good idea to light up a charcoal barbie, but a gas cadac in the right place has always worked for us.
Have been on aires during bank hols where you almost have to go through other vans to get to your own. Sometimes they are empty, so use your loaf.
Phil
My idea of hell lol.......if there's another van within 500 feet of mine im in the wrong place :p

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Last summer at Calais aire it was so full they had opened the bit in front to extend the aire. Yet there was a Belgian family blatantly taking up two marked spaces, one for the MH and the other for table and chairs. I don't know if they were charged for two places!
Not really a case of 'see what the others do'!!;)
It's just a case of being respectful
(I did once get an English bloke knock on the side of our van at 6pm because I'd turned on the Eberspacher heater. Bet he spends most of his time looking for things to complain about! I wonder if he is a funster - I doubt it:LOL:)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Rule No.1 - remove the charcoal filter from your SOG so the Germans feel at home.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Three years ago when we had the old ldv, the shower tray just emptyed straight out underneath, couldn't see it, but on one aire we had some Germans parked about thirty yards away and when Julie was haveing a shower he came a cross banging on the door, shouting "eet is broke" so went out to him and he was jumping up and down pointing under the van, so grabbed a bucket and pretending it should have been under neath and pushed it under and he went off mumbling, then a bit later he emptyed his grey water in the hedge about five yards away.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No just an e ample of aire rules and Germans :doh:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Here's what we found at the entrance to the large forested Biscarrosse-Plage aire the last time we visited:

Broken Link Removed

Basically aimed at the annual New Age Traveller colony that occupies one corner of the aire all summer, and roundly ignored by all, especially by the New Age Traveller colony. The bloke who made a rather half-hearted attempt to collect the fees looked totally overwhelmed.

Nice spot, if you don't end up among the New Age etc...

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I can also remember parking on the Dieppe Port aire and seeing an Austrian raising hell because someone dared to park near him, the same way everyone else was parking next to each other. Poor deluded chap obviously thought he was on a campsite.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Here's what we found at the entrance to the large forested Biscarrosse-Plage aire the last time we visited:

Broken Link Removed

Basically aimed at the annual New Age Traveller colony that occupies one corner of the aire all summer, and roundly ignored by all, especially by the New Age Traveller colony. The bloke who made a rather half-hearted attempt to collect the fees looked totally overwhelmed.

Nice spot, if you don't end up among the New Age etc...

I couldn't imagine using my van in the hot weather and not having my awning out barbecue lit lounging on a chair with a cold cider on the table ..........

But I forgot the new way is to sit inside and watch sky tv........like you do at home lol

Camping !!!!! ...that ain't camping

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back