Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
If anyone is interested I got an email from a website that advertises jobs for work on campsites here and abroad. If anyone is interested in this sort of work pm me and I will pass on details.:active:

ricwig69

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Newcastle (The Toon)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Dylan,

I've PM'd you, but for the time being...

The missus and I are currently looking for this type of work for next year (or even the end of this year), but we're not having too much luck at the moment. We've been mostly using the Caravan Job Finder and Park Jobs websites, but even getting responses to e-mails is proving very hit-and-miss.

Are these jobs becoming increasingly sought after? I know it's still early days, and on many sites this season's not over yet, but are there generally more vacancies advertised during the off-season?

ricwig69

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Newcastle (The Toon)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'd like to expand on this a bit: Do many members currently work on, or run, campsites? Or have done in the past?

It's something the missus and I would like to give a go next season. We've recently paid off our mortgage (and have someone lined up to rent our house), our son is shortly joining the forces, and we feel like this is the perfect time to get out of the rat-race and do something different.

Does anyone have any tips for finding/securing this kind of work? We're not that fussy, and do have some savings so the wages wouldn't be too much of an issue (within reason!). We've been using the following sites up to now:

Caravan Jobfinder UK ... caravan park jobs for the boys - and the girls
BH&HPA Park Jobs
Caravan park and Campsite Job Finder UKCampsite.co.uk

Any help/advice/cautionary tales would be most appreciated...:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
My wife and I worked for various companies abroad for the entire season for 6 years and you will be snapped up in a flash as couriers of third age are very sought after as we are more reliable than the sprogs who go for the beer and opposite sex. We used to go to the south of spain for 2 months holiday after the 5 month stint on camp and we thoroughly enjoyed it and as none of the camp owners spoke any english we learnt French very quiclly as on the first camp we went to 4 of the mobile homes [as they are called but statics really] were on the car park and we had to get the sited and connected to all ambranchment asap. Sourghe everything out at home properly and you will meet many new friends over the years.

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

We worked for an English camping company in France this year for 6 months, I've written a very rough blog based on my diaries on this site if you want to read it.
We are doing it again next year so it can't have been that bad :roflmto::roflmto:
If you want any info pm me
Gill

ricwig69

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Newcastle (The Toon)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
dikyenfo - how did you go about finding this work? And how about the cost of living vs wages?

gillr49 - (I'll also pm you) just read your blog; this is the kind of thing I'm looking for, a warts-and-all account of the type of work that we may be seeing through rose-tinted specs.

We were looking to learn the ropes of working on a campsite 'closer to home' (UK) before branching out abroad, but truth be told that's just through fear. We spent a fortnight touring France in June and loved the place and the people, and made an effort to learn a bit of French - and actually speak it! It's just the thought of doing an unfamiliar job in an unfamiliar place is a bit daunting, but so is anything before you've done it.:RollEyes:

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Rickwig

It is not a good time of year to get a campsite job. Early next year you should not
have a problem.

As has been said holiday companies will come cap in hand if you want work with them ( Eurocamp Canvas Holidays etc ) You may well find yourselves in a beautiful part of France or Italy and wonder why you never did it before. Don't worry too much about the language, although it obviously helps, after all you can bet the large majority of students can't speak it either.

Try Jobs and courses - Summer, Ski, TEFL and Gap year

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
Sorry a bit late replying but been busy. I went to a travel agency and picked up all the books with tents and mobile homes on and sent a letter off and e- mails and was swamped with replys so much so I really had to move up a gear to do the interviews. I would'nt about this time of year being off season as they will be glad to get to have a list of people willing to do the stint. Wages are pretty good to sit i n the sun all day and chat and go for drinks. Augmenting wages is the way to go with offers of baby sitting local guide to all the best spots.etc. Also use a company that lets you take a cleaning and breakage charge to avoid any work over and above and if you keep this until you have inspected the accomodation you will find that you really only have to clean fully at the start of the season.Customer parties mean that properly planned you never have to buy your own beer and wine as there is an imprest acct. which is topped up as you need and you should have a drink with clients when they arrive. nudge-nudge wink - wink.Also I did notice that the kids were very good as people change every fortnight at having a birthday occurring during the changeover and clients are very generous.There are always ways and means if you look for them but some clients will give you the run around if youlet them.

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

Round about £500 a month each with free pitch, electric, but you are in Europe and we found France (food, hair cuts etc.) very expensive, although we were told Italy is as bad and Switzerland worse.
Depends on what site you are on regards customer leaves, we never had to buy cooking oil, handwash or washing up liquid and that was all, some couriers live on customer leaves.

Any more detail pm me as it is difficult to name names on a public forum.:winky::winky::thumb:

Regrads Gill

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Hi

We worked for an English camping company in France this year for 6 months, I've written a very rough blog based on my diaries on this site if you want to read it.
We are doing it again next year so it can't have been that bad :roflmto::roflmto:
If you want any info pm me
Gill

excuse my thickness... how do I find your blog.
Ta.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Campsite work

Hi ricwig69

If you want to start your campsite management career in the UK, then contact both the Caravan Club and the Camping & Caravanning Club, seeking assistants appointments. You could well find yourself employed during the season, and winter work is also available, either an open all year site, or site sitting.

The process with the Caravan Club is/was application-selection-one week training course-final selection and allocation to a site...or..rejection.

The Camping & Caravanning Clubs procedure is usually:
You apply to the sites department-you are allocated to a site for a long weekend, for "work experience"-from that, if you elect to continue-to a training course, usually nearest your home location-final selection and allocation to site...or rejection.

Lynda and I, until we retired 3.5 years ago, worked with the C&CC, so our experience is mainly based on it, but we know the CC as well, and both are good organisations, to give you the tools to be snaped up in europe, without a doubt.

Further more, working the season gives you the oppertunity to live on one wage and save the other for the winter sun, if you so choose. Its also an easy way into fulltiming.

I note you said you were going to let your house, I hope you are going to do it through a managing agent, they are costly, but if anything fails, it will be when you are miles away. Another point, if I may, on letting your home on assured short term tenancy, you will require landlords insurance, (well, its not compulsary) but we are with NFU Mutual, we test the market each year, and still they are the best.

If you have any questions, PM me, and I will respond, but we do'nt logon every day, so there may be a delay of a day or two.

Good luck

Nomadic

C&CC 02476475448 ask for sites department

CC 01342 326944 ask for sites department

ricwig69

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Newcastle (The Toon)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
billym - thanks for the link, and for confirming that this is not the best time of year to secure this sort of work. The thing is, it would be ideal to have something lined up for a definite time as I could then plan out when to hand in my notice!:winky:

dikyenfo - thanks again for sharing your experience. You make it sound like my ideal job, and from what yourself and others have said, it is not too difficult to get a start.:Smile:

nomadic - thanks for that suggestion. I had checked on the CC site and saw that they currently had no vacancies, but I might send off a spec letter to both clubs. Mind, I'm not a member of either club so it might be a bit of a non-starter...:Sad:

Everyone else - thanks for your input and please do keep it coming!:thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
ricwig69

Membership is not a precondition.

CC may not have vacancies for Wardens, but have they completed their recruitment programme for 2009!

Nomadic

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Round about £500 a month each with free pitch, electric, but you are in Europe and we found France (food, hair cuts etc.) very expensive, although we were told Italy is as bad and Switzerland worse.
I've no experience of working on campsites but i have many years 'experience' regarding Switzerland having travelled there extensively. Also my ex-wife is Swiss so i have knowledge of their culture and 'swiss mentality'....a very different mindset to that of the 'brit'!

Switzerland is not as expensive as you may think. Yes, cuts of fresh meat are not cheap but you will be served with first class quality, far superior to what you would be offered here in the UK.

Clothes can be bought in shops there at prices similar to the UK, but once again, the quality is better.

Public transport isn't overly expensive either, but the real plus side to it is experiencing it. For any 'brit' visiting Switzerland for the first time, it's quite a culture shock and a real eye opener. Not only are all the trains and buses spotlessly clean and look as though they have just rolled off a production line, they run to the split second. Swiss are annoyingly damn efficient at running a superb transport system which makes ours look positively Stone Age.

The overall standard of living in Switzerland is way above that of what the average 'brit' meekly accepts here in the UK. Swiss simply don't accept 'second best' or poor quality. As for income levels, £500 would be a fairly low weekly wage in Switzerland.....but with prices comparable to UK, they are well used to a very comfortable lifestyle.

ricwig69

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Newcastle (The Toon)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Been 'n' gone 'n' done it!

Well, today was my last day in my old job. We've taken the plunge and as of March 23rd Julie and I will be working for Canvas Holidays as campsite couriers. Apparently, we'll be training on Berny Riviere (near Paris) and then heading off to Holland to a site called Duinrell at Wassenaar.

Although we'll be living in a 'duingalow' (static - I think), we're allowed to take the motorhome as our transport. It should balance out as what we spend on diesel will be recouped in not having to shell out for accommodation and/or meals en-route. Plus it's left-hand drive, and full of tools, niknaks and thingamebobs that are bound to come in handy (I think I believe that...).

Has anyone ever been to Duinrell? I've been in touch with a few people who have worked on the site, but no-one who has stayed as a guest. Input from both sides of the fence would be useful.:Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Congratulations Guys....Am I a tad Jealous? You bet I am.

Good Luck.
:thumb:

Link Removed
good_luck_05.gif

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Good luck folks - let us know how it goes :thumb:

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We worked at Duinrell three years ago for Canvas Holidays but only for

a couple of weeks cleaning the uphoostery in the caravans.

We stayed there for a couple of weeks at Christmas 2007

It is a huge all singing , dancing and swimming site. It has a huge indoor water park.

It is extremely well run , What we liked about it is that is 2 minutes walk into Wasennar

which is a pleasant and wealthy town where English is almost the native language. It is

easy to get into The Hague and Amsterdam using local transport.

Good Luck !

poss

Free Member
Apr 19, 2010
Funster No
young and hard working!!

dikyenfo , hi i would just like to say i find your quote about "sprogs" all about beer and the oposite sex quite harsh, my partner and i have been together for 6 years and at only 21 and 23 we really find it hard to find work because of our age.

We have just completed a ski season in france for 5 months and can do just the same if not better than some older couples, its just a shame all young people get tarred with the same brush when some are very hard working and dedicated.

If anyone does have any info we are also looking for summer season jobs this year.

thanks

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
dikyenfo , hi i would just like to say i find your quote about "sprogs" all about beer and the oposite sex quite harsh, my partner and i have been together for 6 years and at only 21 and 23 we really find it hard to find work because of our age.

We have just completed a ski season in france for 5 months and can do just the same if not better than some older couples, its just a shame all young people get tarred with the same brush when some are very hard working and dedicated.

If anyone does have any info we are also looking for summer season jobs this year.

thanks

Hi, You young sprogs shoudnt be allowed to take easy money work thats reseved for us old people.

You should be laying bricks on a building site or doin a bit of short hand typing or filing in an office somewhere. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:roflmto: :winky:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I would have thought that a sense of humour was a pre requisite for working with the public :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

buzzer77770

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
hi

If anyone is interested I got an email from a website that advertises jobs for work on campsites here and abroad. If anyone is interested in this sort of work pm me and I will pass on details.:active:
hi new to this site but looking for work abroad on campsite

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Try this link also for caravan and campsite jobs in the UK and abroad http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk then click on the "with job vacancies" link there are quite a few there..

We have been members of the Caravan Club for years as has been stated membership doesn'y guarantee employment..we applied 3 years running only to be told SORRY No Vacancies..

Hope this helps..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back