Hi a newbie need help (1 Viewer)

nearlydone

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato Auto Cruise
Exp
Hi We have just got a Fiat Ducato Auto Quest 270. 1990 diesel 2.5 The van drives well for an 45 mins then loses power. A Lot!!! We have had it serviced and all new filters and it is still not running properly any advise please.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:welc:

Sorry can't help with your problem but someone will offer suggestions soon.

Apr 19, 2014
Funster No
That's the problem it's a Eurobox
Should have gone for an RV.

Sounds like you have a sensor failing. When it get to wards working temperature
Get in to a good diesel diagnostics. Not sure where your at there is a good one in Middlesbrough. But may be a bit far from you
Try a google in your area for a remapping / diagnostics.
Hope you get it sorted
Yours Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi nearlydone welcome to fun, hope it's sorted soon and not to expensive.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
very much a failing sensor or a fault putting the engine into "limp mode" when it gets hot

it needs to be run up to temperature with a computer attached to read the codes to find the fault

oops just reread and its an old 1990 so pre computer. may well be a pump and or turbo fault or even as simple as a perished rubber diesel hose. needs expert investigation by a real mechanic, not a modern fitter

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi We have just got a Fiat Ducato Auto Quest 270. 1990 diesel 2.5 The van drives well for an 45 mins then loses power. A Lot!!! We have had it serviced and all new filters and it is still not running properly any advise please.
Is the fuel cap breather blocked try driving with out the fuel cap or put one of those tempory ones on.
Or drawing air in the fuel system is it 2.5TD

OP
OP
N

nearlydone

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato Auto Cruise
Exp
Have a good mechanic who will be looking at it but seeking advice we think it maybe fuel related?

OP
OP
N

nearlydone

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato Auto Cruise
Exp
thanks bill worth a try.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Hi & welcome I do not intend to diagnose your problem I just wish to give you a heads up if incase your mechanic find nothing wrong as what yo have to make a note of is the fact that old diesels were in fact inherently slow & required some coaxing.
Modern Diesels are infact the complete opposite requiring no downshifts but just an eye on the road & knowing when to apply the throttle to maintain maximum torque.

You will learn the best way to drive your van eventually :winky:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi & welcome I do not intend to diagnose your problem I just wish to give you a heads up if incase your mechanic find nothing wrong as what yo have to make a note of is the fact that old diesels were in fact inherently slow & required some coaxing.
Modern Diesels are infact the complete opposite requiring no downshifts but just an eye on the road & knowing when to apply the throttle to maintain maximum torque.

The Fiat 2.5td is a pretty willing engine and certainly doesn't need coaxing. Is yours the turbo or non-turbo?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

My 1991 2.5d needs no coaxing, pulls up hill in 5th and has so much torque that 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are hardly needed once you're on the move.(y)

Welcome !
(y)

PS Think Bill might be right - sounds like fuel problem

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back